View Single Post

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Dec 30, 2004, 04:02 PM
The battle quickly began a game of cat and mouse, with Lori relying on her long legged agility to narrowly avoid each attack, while Psyde dodged Lori's counterattacks without even seeming to notice them, effortlessly matching her otherwise incredible pace. Eva could see from the windowsill that Lori was quickly tiring from the madcap race, although Psyde showed no signs of fatigue, and she was not surprised when Lori sought temporary refuge among the monkey bars.
"How does that help you?" asked Psyde from below, aiming the white blaster towards Lori's tense form. "Your movement is restricted."
"The bars here are reflective," called Lori, leveling her own gun at a nearby bar for demonstration. "Shots bounce off of them." Pulling the trigger, Lori leaped away through a space between bars as the ice flew through the air and hit the bar. There was a strange noise as sparks leapt out from the bar, and the ice flew off in another direction, hitting another bar, and then another, before finally redirecting itself to head straight towards Psyde's exposed chest. Psyde grabbed a bar in the air above him and swung himself up into the air, narrowly missing the incoming frostbiter. "Dangerous," he remarked, firing off several blasts by way of experiment and watching as they bounded back and forth between the many bars. "This will be something of a challenge."
The battle began again, this time with the added dimension of height. Both combatants fired less regularly now, knowing that if they were not careful, they could be hit by their own ice as easily as their opponent's. Finally Lori grew overconfident, jumping up to the top of the monkey bar structure, aiming freezing blasts down into the maze beneath. Faster than Eva would have supposed possible, Psyde climbed up through the network of bars and was up on top with Lori, pulling the trigger on his blaster before Lori could fully understand his being up there. Lori took off running a moment too late, and the frostbiter hit her in the back, causing a light blue glow to surround her body before quickly solidifying into ice.
"Checkmate," pronounced Psyde, before looking his defeated opponent. "Oh no... Lori!" Friction removed by her icy encasement, Lori was still traveling through the air at high speed, soon to smash into a castle wall. Taking to the air - although Eva saw no means of propulsion that would allow him to fly - Psyde sped towards Lori in a blur faster than Eva's eye could begin to track. Somehow, he caught her just before the collision, and the two rabbits floated slowly down to earth together as the ice melted.
"Wow..." said Lori, eyes still wide from her narrowly avoided crash. "My hero." She smiled demurely, acting for all the world as if she did not hold a gun which she had been shooting at him with only moments earlier. "You're supposed to kiss me now, I think."
"..." Psyde leaned his head forward uncertainly, and Lori absolved worries by happily taking his lips in her own. Above, Eva fumed silently. Little man-thief! Obviously she was not paying enough attention to him, not putting enough effort into it. This would have to change.

Her chance came the next day, when Eva chanced upon him sitting in a large armchair, studying the white blaster curiously. Quickly judging the size of the chair to be big enough for two, Eva climbed in next to him, snuggling up a little to fit.
"Hey," she said, in response to his evident surprise, "whatcha doing?"
"This blaster..." Psyde began, and stopped as if searching for the right words. "This blaster is a very well made device. It only lacks power."
"Power?"
"Yes. If it was as powerful as I am, say, I could conceivably hurt Dark Psyde with it. It focuses the energy used into a small point, which is ideal for combat, rather than wider attacks which end up being mostly dispersed harmlessly around the target. If I could transfer my power into this gun, my chances of defeating Dark Psyde would be greatly increased."
Eva smiled. She understood the urge to have more and better power. "So why don't you?"
"I would have to use the full force of my telekinetic energy to transfer my power into this blaster, and I would be unable to move or otherwise interact with the world around me until the process was complete. I do not want to spend long periods of time defenseless."
"Defenseless?! I'm hurt." Eva reached up and tousled Psyde's hair, subtly rubbing against him with her leg while he was distracted. "I'm here, aren't I? I can make sure you're not disturbed."
Psyde thought about this for about a minute, looking at the blaster without really seeming to see it, before responding, "...all right. It is risky, but I must take any chance I can get to defeat Dark Psyde and avenge my dead friends and planet." Eva blinked, having forgotten about his dark and tortured past as he never actually seemed to mention it. "The grief and misery caused by Dark Psyde is a constant drain on my happiness. I must destroy him at all costs."
Changing moods at the blink of an eye, Psyde grinned at Eva, who leaned forward slightly and smiled back. "I shall begin now," he said, rotating the blaster carefully in his paw. "I hope you are comfortable like that."
Eva responded that she was, and was about to demonstrate when she noticed that he was no longer paying attention to her, instead staring intently at the blaster, eyes half closed. The air around her got slightly colder and she felt a breeze picking up her hair and tossing it about. Watching Psyde silently channeling his vast powers into the blaster before him, Eva prepared for a long and interesting wait.

To be continued...