View Single Post

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jan 1, 2005, 05:21 PM
Eva stared in confused horror at the scene around her. A rabbit who looked like Psyde was standing tall in the center of the room, surrounded by marks of destruction, and laughing in the direction of a fallen stone block from which a single brown rabbit foot protruded. In various parts of the room laid the dead and mutilated bodies of both Jazz and Spaz, and there was a pile of ashes in front of the arm chair with a familiar pink ribbon on top.
"Psyde?" Eva whispered, not daring to speak any louder for fear of what might become of her control, "what... what have you done?"
"Psyde has done very little, dark princess," responded the rabbit, turning around and revealing eyes burning with the fire of intense hatred. "Psyde has done very little besides putting up a pathetic fight and getting his little friends killed."
"You're not Psyde," said Eva, still trying to come to terms with the situation. "You're... oh my, you're Dark Psyde, aren't you?"
"Perceptive, dark princess. Yes, I am Dark Psyde, thought I might as well be Psyde himself now. There is no one else to claim the title, am I wrong?"
"You're wrong!" cried a voice from elsewhere in the room, and both Eva and Dark Psyde turned to see who had spoken. Psyde Psychrabbit was standing where the giant stone block used to be, pointing the white blaster towards Dark Psyde's confused face. "You're wrong," he continued, "You're not Psyde, I am. I've come back from the land of the not-quite-dead to reclaim that which was mine!"
"I beat you once," answered Dark Psyde, "and I can beat you again. What makes you think the outcome will be any different this second time around?"
"Because I know what I did wrong last time!" cried Psyde, and as suddenly as it had returned, Eva felt her incredible admiration drain away to be replaced by a more natural feeling of vague incredulity and sadness at the death of her family.
"I see you that have stopped holding back. It matters not. I am still Dark Psyde, I am still your superior. TRANSIENT WASTE!"
"GRAY LASER ROCKET!"
A twisted flow of hatred flew forth from Dark Psyde, changing form as it flew first to malice, then to despair, jealousy and all the other markings of the darker side of emotion. At the same time, a huge rocket launched from Psyde's blaster, surrounded by blinking white lights, with black tendrils wrapping their way around it as well. The rocket changed direction in midair, readjusting its flight pattern to hit first Dark Psyde's attack, which was disintegrated, and then Dark Psyde himself. Dark Psyde fired overpowered attack after overpowered attack at the incoming missile to no avail, and with a final cry of anguish, was scattered to the winds in a million shards of evil upon contact. Outside, the thunder and rain ceased, as the weather returned to what would be considered normal daytime.
Rising slowly from the armchair, Eva crossed over to Psyde, who stood panting amidst the carnage. "Is it over?" she asked in a tremulous tone.
"Yes..." he responded, turning troubled eyes to her, "it's over. All over. I have achieved my revenge. The dead citizens of Angstus may rest in peace this night." He paused a moment, before closing his eyes as if making a decision. "Eva... I must make an apology to you."
"For what?"
"When I first came here," explained Psyde, "I hated myself for the evil within me that could have created Dark Psyde. Wanting no part of it, I thrust the darker half out of my mind, where it floated around before becoming a part of you. You grew cold, distant, selfish... in short, I caused you to become drastically out of character, and I apologize for that."
Eva nodded once, not exactly understanding, although it was true she no longer thought herself in love with the tall brown rabbit. "And... and what of Jazz? And Spaz, and Lori?"
"I shall take care of them now, before I depart. Here. Hold this," he instructed, handing Eva the white blaster, "I will not need it again."
Eva took the white blaster and watched as the exhausted rabbit furrowed his brow and recited the words to some ancient incantation. A puddle of white light grew from his feet, slowly expanding until it filled the entire room with glittering whiteness so strong that Eva's eyes hurt even while closed. When the whiteness was gone, Eva chanced a look around the room. Everything in the room, save for the inhabitants, was exactly like it had been before she had gotten into the armchair with Psyde an eternity ago. Jazz, Spaz and Lori were all alive, rising slowly from the floor with various stages of confusion on their face. And Psyde laid motionless on the ground, eyes cast up to the ceiling.
"Lori..." instructed Eva, summoning up whatever courage she could muster, "how is he?"
"He's not breathing," gulped the yellow rabbit after a few seconds of inspection. "He's dead!"

The funeral was held later that evening, with Eva crying softly into Jazz's protective shoulder as he held her close, and Spaz not exactly understanding the proceedings but seeming somewhat saddened anyway. He had lost his cold and serious edge since the revival, causing Eva to guess that Psyde's tossed off darkness had not affected herself alone, but she did not tell anyone of his apology or her suspicions. Lori, it had been decided, would perform the task of actually burying him in the strange metal coffin he had arrived in only a few days ago.
"Ashes to ashes," intoned the Queen dryly, "dust to dust." She and the rest of the castle's inhabitants had been found to be alive and well shortly after Dark Psyde's defeat, and completely unaware that they had apparently disappeared for the duration of the battle.
Lori stood as the lid of the coffin was slowly closed upon Psyde's motionless form. She had resolved not to cry, but a single teardrop forced itself from her eye, falling away from her face and striking Psyde's uncovered fur. The spot where the teardrop had struck glistened briefly, and the brown rabbit jerked.
"Psyde?!" exclaimed Lori, hardly daring to believe what she was seeing before her.
"...Lori?" asked Psyde, his eyes opening to stare up from the box. "Oh, Psyde!" Lori cried, shoving aside the lowering lid and jumping into the box beside him. Happily letting fall the tears which she had tried so hard to keep in only moments before, Lori Jackrabbit held Psyde Psychrabbit close, determined to never ever let him go.

The End.