Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

Halloween Battle Contest

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Sep 30, 2024, 03:04 PM
Halloween Battle Contest

It's Spooktober! Boo!

I came to a realisation that there should be many more Battle levels. Also I have not run a contest in some time and I'm feeling generous (within reason).

I am, therefore, announcing:

Halloween Battle Contest!
Create a spooky/horror/etc. themed Battle level.

Rules:

Must be uploaded to J2O before October 31st, UTC-12:00
  • That's four weeks to create a Battle level. Battle is by far the easiest gamemode to make levels for - it's essentially freestyle JCSing. There are some "common sensibilities" that levels abide by, but maybe breaking those is more interesting? With JJ2+ you don't even need a single event for a level to technically work as a Battle.

Must be at least as big as You Arena, but no bigger than The Impossible Metropolis
  • I don't have the exact dimensions because it's late and I'm lazy. Something reasonably sized is what I expect to get.
  • If you really want to make something as large as Hellfire I can't really stop you, but beware of biting off more than you can chew.

Must follow a Halloween-appropiate theme
  • This is a restriction, but one that should stimulate creativity.
  • Your entry should be within the range of "cartoony levels of spook" and "viscerally upsetting horrors". Unless you can somehow go beyond that!
  • Unusual and exotic palette/tileset combinations[1][2][3] are very welcome. Halloween is a good excuse to go nuts, and Battle does not usually require visual restraint.

Scripted gameplay modifications are permitted
  • Within reason. Please submit a Battle level, rather than an example level for your new cool gamemode mutator.
  • Feel free to use everything else at your disposal.

Multiple entries per contestant are permitted
  • I don't expect any, but why not.

Your entry will be judged by me and me only
  • That's right.

There might be an award for the best entry
  • Or there might not. We're doing this for fun, first and foremost.
  • My entry is not eligible to win.

Go wild!