Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

J2O Reviews.

R3ptile

Banned

R3ptile is doing well so far

May 21, 2004, 08:05 AM
Unhappy J2O Reviews.

You can see this post as a complaint, and you can see it as a commentary, I don't care, just read everything, especially the admins, and post your oppinion.

Well, many people in J2O got their very-high-reviewing-level because a great amount of reviews, but when I check their reviewer's profile, I'm noticed to "200 charaters per review". When I check my own reviewer's profile, it seems to have more than 1800 chars per review.

What am I trying to say? The levels are unfair, I spent much more time for my reviews, and I was much more accurated on them. I think it's totally unfair that someone with 100 chars per review would be a 1337 reviewer or so..

Why am I wasting my time?! I can write a very short post with a lake of details, make 800 reviews and get the highest reviewing level in J2O. I don't talk about a reviews of 20 charaters and an unfair rating, I talk about around 300 reviews with a lake of details (as I said before), but the admins still agree them because they're fair or so, I don't know how to explain it.

I hope to see a changes about this, please, I won't waste my time and getting a kinda low reviewing level. I know many other people are nervous because of this. Can you do something, dear J2O admins?
$n00z

Banned

$n00z is doing well so far

May 21, 2004, 09:34 AM
My average is something like 400-370, because when i was new i used to write reviews like this:

"this is very good level, and eyecandy is good, i like it, download recommedation."

nowadays i write quite long reviews, horewer, im usually very busy so i don't have time to write big reviews. thats why my average is low.

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

May 21, 2004, 09:36 AM
I'm thinking about removing the ranks altogether in J2Ov1 if people agree. I know the problem. In J2Ov2 we will probably factor in review quality in ranks.

Interesting Jazz-related links:
Thread: Gameplay Theories - Thread: Make Up Your Own Gametype

Spotify.fm

JCF Veteran

Tubz is doing well so far

May 21, 2004, 12:25 PM
Well all I got to say, man the power is too abused. I tell you I never got my reviews edited, after years. I come back to review a music file, I think it deserves a 9.5, I give a review, and It's edited. I'm like, what the hell, geez the system is really screwed.

"Jewel is the Metallica of Yodelling." ~Edwin McCain
"Yes, it's a personal attack if you save my picture about internet safety" ~Labratkid
"You know what JBL? The only reason you were WWE Champion for a year was because Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays!" ~Paul Heyman, addressing the public at the "ECW: One Night Stand" PPV on Sunday, June 12, 2005

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

May 21, 2004, 12:29 PM
Wow, Tublear. That has nothing to do with the topic. If anything, the topic was complaining about people like you.

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

May 21, 2004, 12:41 PM
I rather like your idea. It would prevent any reviewers who just want a high rank from spamming.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

May 21, 2004, 12:53 PM
414 reviews avg 1213 chars.

and yeah, might work. I remember some time ago when I joined J2O I was spam-reviewing because I wanted to see all the reviewer statuses =P, so I agree with it.

JCF Member

DanYjel is doing well so far

May 21, 2004, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ptile
You can see this post as a complaint, and you can see it as a commentary, I don't care, just read everything, especially the admins, and post your oppinion.

Well, many people in J2O got their very-high-reviewing-level because a great amount of reviews, but when I check their reviewer's profile, I'm noticed to "200 charaters per review". When I check my own reviewer's profile, it seems to have more than 1800 chars per review.

What am I trying to say? The levels are unfair, I spent much more time for my reviews, and I was much more accurated on them. I think it's totally unfair that someone with 100 chars per review would be a 1337 reviewer or so..

Why am I wasting my time?! I can write a very short post with a lake of details, make 800 reviews and get the highest reviewing level in J2O. I don't talk about a reviews of 20 charaters and an unfair rating, I talk about around 300 reviews with a lake of details (as I said before), but the admins still agree them because they're fair or so, I don't know how to explain it.

I hope to see a changes about this, please, I won't waste my time and getting a kinda low reviewing level. I know many other people are nervous because of this. Can you do something, dear J2O admins?

Okay. Average characters length of my reviews is 477. BUT. My first reviews (I think everything else except newest 15 reviews...) are maximally 300-chars, and now I write reviews full of nothing ;p with more than 1000. I am amazed what I can to do with my "awful English". But I spend more time by that than you. Understand? I am not going to language school (or how you'r calling that) and it's too hard for me to write long review...

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

May 21, 2004, 03:19 PM
If rankings are kept in j2ov2, there have been multiple suggestions that would fix this problem that would be implemented. I personally still think the idea of rankings is cool and if implemented properly won't be abused. Obviously, basing ranking merely on the sum of reviews is just an encourager of spam, but if rankings combined both number of reviews with length, there will be a better chance for both quality description and amount. I think the systems set up in j2ov2 will acheive this if rankings are kept.
&lt;table width=&quot;100%&quot;&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td valign=&quot;top&quot;&gt;&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.jj2.info&quot; title=&quot;waaaait&quot; style=&quot;font-size: 14pt;font-family: Verdana;text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;penny on the train track&lt;/a&gt;
&lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/tickbot.html&quot;&gt;readme&lt;/a&gt; - &lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/quote.html&quot;&gt;quotes&lt;/a&gt; - &lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/rsg.html&quot;&gt;formats&lt;/a&gt; - are you brained? *\o/*&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td width=&quot;1%&quot; align=&quot;right&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;
Lark

JCF Member

Lark has disabled reputation

May 21, 2004, 03:54 PM
491 reviews with an average of 775 characters.

640 character average if you count the reviews I made that were N/A.

I wouldn't remove the ranks altogether, but I would make review length factor in, like FQuist said. Also, maybe N/A reviews shouldn't count towards your review status, because a lot of people, and I won't mention any names, post a level, make a short description on it, then write an N/A review for it wrapping up the description. If you uploaded 500 levels and made an N/A comment on all of them, you're not really an Ultra L33t Reviewer, as J2O's ranks would put it.

JCF Member

KRSplat is a forum legendKRSplat is a forum legend

May 22, 2004, 05:58 AM
I don't think the ranks really matter; at all. I don't care if I'm called "BEST REVIEWER EVER ! !! ! 1 2e324 " or "horrible n00b-like reviewer." It doesn't matter. To me, they might as well not exist. I don't read them when I read a review. I don't care if they are there are not there. I have no problems with them, and they don't help me either. I've been sitting here for about 5 minutes writing this post and all I've done is think of 15 ways to say the same thing. I've used seven.

JCF Member

Enigma is an asset to this forum

May 22, 2004, 06:18 AM
Is it just me, or is this topic sort of turning into a place where people brag about the length of their reviews, rather than the amount they have written?

Personally, I would be ok with the removal of the ranking system. I must admit that those statuses look too nice and shiny when one visits J2O for the first time, and I have written a lot of idiot reviews myself a few years ago. Any sort of ranking system just appeals too much to the human sense of competition (remember when the JCF had post counts?). I'm not quite sure if taking the length of the reviews into account would solve the problem. It might just encourage people to write longer spam reviews (something along the lines of "This level is very very [insert 500 "very" here] very good"; copy/paste does work rather well that way). People would just start trying to write the longest reviews instead of the most.

Banned

May 22, 2004, 08:18 AM
If you'll remove the ranking system, none will make reviews except me and some various people.

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

May 22, 2004, 08:20 AM
That's nonsense, R3ptile. That's based on your own assumptions which seem to have no basis in reality.

Moving on, j2ov2 will not judge it just on review length and amount of reviews probably. More factors will be used, which will try to ensure that abuse is not possible.

Interesting Jazz-related links:
Thread: Gameplay Theories - Thread: Make Up Your Own Gametype

Spotify.fm

JCF Member

KRSplat is a forum legendKRSplat is a forum legend

May 22, 2004, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ptile
If you'll remove the ranking system, none will make reviews except me and some various people.
I completely disagree.

Banned

May 22, 2004, 12:01 PM
You're wrong.
Strato

JCF Member

Strato is doing well so far

May 22, 2004, 04:45 PM
Sorry, but when I review I review for the sake of giving a rating and a opinion on the level, not raising a completly stupid function which I never look at.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

May 23, 2004, 12:30 AM
I'm afraid there's not much we can do about it, except for waiting for j2ov2.