Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

People should make their own tilesets in level making

JCF Member

DennisKainz is notorious for his worthless posts

Jul 3, 2024, 08:08 PM
People should make their own tilesets in level making

It gets annoying to see the same tilesets used over and over in level making. I think people should create their own tilesets.
There are tablets that let you draw by hand. That makes tileset making way easier. Also, it isn't hard to draw a good tileset. Nick Stadler and Agama gave us many examples of simple yet good tilesets. And they didn't have tablets for drawing. If they managed to make those tilesets with a mouse, we should be able to make even better tilesets with a tablet for drawing.
For example, in making a level like Fishing Village, instead of recoloring Nick's Jungle tileset, we could draw an actual fishing village, you know, with docks, boats, fishing nets, fisheries. We could look up a fishing village on Google Images so we get a hint of what a fishing village looks like. We could even add some fantasy element to make it even more appealing.
If I could afford a tablet for drawing, I'd get to work immediately.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jul 4, 2024, 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisKainz View Post
Nick Stadler and Agama gave us many examples of simple yet good tilesets. And they didn't have tablets for drawing.
Agama used a tablet for portions of her tilesets. But that's probably less relevant than the fact both of those people are professional artists.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jul 4, 2024, 07:47 AM
The barrier to making levels should be lower, not higher.

JCF Member

FawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legend

Jul 7, 2024, 09:00 AM
If it were so simple to draw these good looking tilesets, it wouldn't be only done by professional artists that have a lot of talent and dedication. Drawing a tileset and making levels are two seperate professions, and so is scripting. We should be grateful for levelmakers already re-inventing leveldesign with all the extra time and effort spent in compositing level theme's by compiling new tilesets and and writing levelscripts.

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Jul 7, 2024, 09:18 AM
If someone would pay me a salary to make JJ2 levels full time as a profession, then I'm sure I'd take the time to draw my own tilesets from scratch. However, as that's almost certainly never going to happen, I have to make do with the free time I have available outside of my regular day job.

Realistically speaking, it would take me at least a couple of months of solid work to draw an original tileset that is on par with Nick Stadler/Agama's tilesets. My free time is limited as it is, and if every level took me months to produce then I probably wouldn't be finishing very many at all. I actually enjoy the challenge of taking old tilesets and finding new ways to use them.

Of course I'm all for people creating new tilesets, but I don't believe we should gatekeep people who are happy to make use of the plethora of existing sets out there right now.