Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » Beyond Jazz Jackrabbit 2

JazzJackrabbit for the Nintendo DS

sedthh

JCF Member

sedthh is doing well so far

Nov 23, 2007, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pako View Post
...weapon suggestions are welcome, so...

Deflector:

-Damage = 0
-Recoil | None
-Speed | None
-Reload | None (slowly takes away ammo)
-Special | Creates a shield that can be directed anywhere
-Hit | It can deflect other attacks
I was thinking of similar weapons also, because defelcting others bullets would be a lot of fun and make the game harder

another question:

jumping: you prefer the jumping you saw in jj1 (your speed remaions the same all the time) or the jumping you saw in jj2 (you slow down then speed up while falling)

JCF Member

Birdie is doing well so far

Nov 23, 2007, 03:04 PM
jj2 jumping style. Just so you know, all of the memory used by jj2 without further allocation for things like music, the level, and the tileset, is larger than four mb.

JCF Member

Dermo should make better posts

Nov 23, 2007, 07:27 PM
Oh the PSP has 32 mb ram so it could run jj2. And the new PSP Slim has 64 mb of ram.

Anyway jj2 WOULD in fact work for NDS. I mean look at Mario 64 and the amount of ram that uses up but yet the textures and sound modules were compressed and able to be loaded in the Nintendo DS. So no doubt JJ2 COULD be built for DS. Would they? Doubtful. I have a DS and so far i have not been very happy with the graphics on the thing. When you're comparing something like Mario Kart to PSP's Twisted Metal: Head On their's no comparison. It's just the DS is cheaper and was better advertised.

Do you like Stijn? Take my poll!

Windows is not a virus. A virus is small and efficient...

Note to Stijn: how am i even getting away with this

JCF Member

FreeFull is doing well so far

Nov 24, 2007, 12:08 AM
I got the PSP. I'm wondering if I should set my PC up so I can remotely control it with my PSP (and therefore play JJ2 on PSP). Oh, and I would set my firewall so that my PC can be controlled only with the PSP, you know, just in case.

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Nov 25, 2007, 01:17 PM
If you're really going through with this Sedthh, I suggest axing the Soldat control scheme. Sure it works with the DS' touch screen, but not very well in the context of JJ2. The only enemy that really requires precises aiming are the bees and those really don't show up often enough in the SP campaign.
sedthh

JCF Member

Nov 26, 2007, 05:00 AM
that's right but then again I would put in harder enemies than just turtles wandering around

also aiming at things like buttons and triggers while runing across the level should be a fun thing to do

if you get to aim really quickly from one direction to another while avoiding enemies, wouldn't that give you a small adrenaline rush?
ShadeJackrabbit ShadeJackrabbit's Avatar

JCF Member

ShadeJackrabbit is doing well so far

Nov 26, 2007, 02:29 PM
{sarcasm}I'm really glad that the forums have become so cynical...{/sarcasm}

Well, being an owner of a DS, this sounds like an interesting idea. I hope you somehow manage to pull this off. Now I'll just wait for the rabid packs of forumers to smack me down for trying to say something nice.

Stop talking sense, this is an internet argument. ~Doubble Dutch
Old Nov 26, 2007, 04:15 PM
n00b
This message has been deleted by n00b. Reason: Dermo (which looks like duermo ergo, sleep en espanol) is right.

JCF Member

Nov 27, 2007, 09:11 AM
Hey, I never said *I* wasn't cynical, but that doesn't mean that I have to start chanting for a project's downfall. I never said it was likely to finish, but it seems most people are grouping "I hope" with "is it possible." I usually do this too, and that's just my practicality. I have no clue how this is going to work, and I don't particularly care either, but when nobody is being supportive, I think someone should be. Thus, that's where I enter.

All I mean is that I wish there were more people who AREN'T cynical, including me. Now you're a very cynical person and I respect that, but I'm often surprised at how you lash out at almost anything. Even if you feel superior for some reason n00b, that means you should help people, not try to hurt them.

Now, you can either play nicely, and actually not be such as jerk, or you can start a long off-topic discussion.

-Sincerest regards, ShadeJackrabbit

P.S. And stop attacking every (-) post I make. It's really ticking me off.

Old Nov 27, 2007, 01:04 PM
n00b
This message has been deleted by n00b. Reason: Dermo (which looks like duermo ergo, sleep en espanol) is right.

JCF Member

Nov 27, 2007, 06:50 PM
Oh dear god, SHUT UP.

sedthh

JCF Member

Nov 28, 2007, 11:35 AM
I love you all
NovaStar

JCF Member

NovaStar is doing well so far

Nov 28, 2007, 11:58 AM
We love you too

(conditionally)

JCF Member

Caffne is doing well so far

Nov 29, 2007, 09:43 AM
Everything is conditional.

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Nov 29, 2007, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b View Post
Ah there we go, welcome to the club. Seriously though, this hyperbole is getting old. Stop it.
When you make a post like this, though, it increases the ratio of Shade's posts that you've attacked. So technically, by just calling it a hyperbole you're making it less of one.

Also, I should point out that this has nothing to do with Jazz on the DS, I love you all, and this is awesome if it sees completion.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 12:22 PM
n00b

JCF Member

Nov 30, 2007, 01:10 PM
n00b, seriously: Shut up.

ahat

JCF Member

ahat is doing well so far

Dec 1, 2007, 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmoo View Post
Oh the PSP has 32 mb ram so it could run jj2. And the new PSP Slim has 64 mb of ram.

Anyway jj2 WOULD in fact work for NDS. I mean look at Mario 64 and the amount of ram that uses up but yet the textures and sound modules were compressed and able to be loaded in the Nintendo DS. So no doubt JJ2 COULD be built for DS. Would they? Doubtful. I have a DS and so far i have not been very happy with the graphics on the thing. When you're comparing something like Mario Kart to PSP's Twisted Metal: Head On their's no comparison. It's just the DS is cheaper and was better advertised.
The amount of RAM in the DS is more than enough to create a game similar to what JJ2 is. That isn't the problem. The OP think he can go beyond the limits of the hardware, he's already said way too much and lost his credibility.

He wanted to use MP3's for the music in his game. He wanted people to do the unnecessary grunt work of riping the sprites, etc. He has no previous experience, or even any knowledge of the hardware he claims to want to develop on.

And on a side note, the DS is doing much better than the PSP because of available software and it's unique input options. ;P
[03:09] Ninjapixie: You make my stomach hurt
Old Dec 1, 2007, 07:06 AM
n00b

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Dec 1, 2007, 07:09 AM
Stop it, you both, will ya
sedthh

JCF Member

Dec 1, 2007, 09:49 AM
well I didn't feel like writing but this was a bit too much, so I gonna have to break this happy and peaceful meaningless flamewar between n00b and random people - sorry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahat View Post
The amount of RAM in the DS is more than enough to create a game similar to what JJ2 is. That isn't the problem. The OP think he can go beyond the limits of the hardware, he's already said way too much and lost his credibility.
Oh lawd as I recall you have been saying there's no way in hell one can make a jj2 like game for the DS, now it just turned out to be possible? Awesome. I never said I could go beyond the limits of the hardware, I said there are other options if you program a specified one. Think about the god(-) scene demos (not if I could do anything like those, I just wanted to bring up an example)

Quote:
He wanted to use MP3's for the music in his game. He wanted people to do the unnecessary grunt work of riping the sprites, etc. He has no previous experience, or even any knowledge of the hardware he claims to want to develop on.
No I didn't. I said I wanted either .mp3's or.mods maybe. That doesn't mean I would use them, I went along with the mp3 because it is much easier for me to convert them and they are relatively small if someone tried to post them for help.

Quote:
And on a side note, the DS is doing much better than the PSP because of available software and it's unique input options. ;P
indeed lol

Now if any of these misunderstandings have been caused by my lose usage of context and lack of grammar, have my apologies for having a mother-language different from yours
ahat

JCF Member

Dec 1, 2007, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedthh View Post
well I didn't feel like writing but this was a bit too much, so I gonna have to break this happy and peaceful meaningless flamewar between n00b and random people - sorry about it

1.) Oh lawd as I recall you have been saying there's no way in hell one can make a jj2 like game for the DS, now it just turned out to be possible? Awesome. I never said I could go beyond the limits of the hardware, I said there are other options if you program a specified one. Think about the god(-) scene demos (not if I could do anything like those, I just wanted to bring up an example)

2.) No I didn't. I said I wanted either .mp3's or.mods maybe. That doesn't mean I would use them, I went along with the mp3 because it is much easier for me to convert them and they are relatively small if someone tried to post them for help.

indeed lol

Now if any of these misunderstandings have been caused by my lose usage of context and lack of grammar, have my apologies for having a mother-language different from yours
1.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedthh
wow thanks for all the ideas, and questions

I haven't paid much attention on how powerful the hardware is because there are always alternative options (so that 4 megs of ram doesn't mean you are limited to 4 megs only, and you can pass on most of the tasks to other parts of the hardware), but since jazz 1 could run on a 486 well I am confident.
It pretty blatant that you think you can go beyond the limits of the hardware. And even if you were making reference to a rampack (which I highly doubt, I think you just got that idea after reading my posts), it would still be a stupid idea.

Also, I would like you to quote the post where I said a JJ2-esque game couldn't be done on the DS. If anything, I would have said YOU couldn't make the game on the DS.

2.) You didn't want MP3's/MODs because you wanted to convert them, you wanted them because PALib has the ability to play MOD (and I assume mp3 now). If you wanted to convert them, you would've just used the .it version which you could easily obtain, and likely the same to rip the samples from.

And just for the hell of it, what would you have been converting the MP3's to? That's pretty interesting.

Stijn: removed personal attack

Last edited by Stijn; Dec 1, 2007 at 12:14 PM.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Dec 1, 2007, 12:14 PM
ahat, criticism is fine, personal attacks are not. A less aggressive tone please or you'll get a warning.
sedthh

JCF Member

Dec 1, 2007, 12:16 PM
well you are right with the mod part, palib did support them but that's all
sedthh

JCF Member

Dec 1, 2007, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
ahat, criticism is fine, personal attacks are not. A less aggressive tone please or you'll get a warning.
lol no it's ok, not that I really care about what he thinks about me

Administrator

Dec 1, 2007, 12:24 PM
This forum, however, has rules which forbid blatant personal insults such as the one ahat made.
ahat

JCF Member

Dec 1, 2007, 01:07 PM
sedthh, would you please answer the questions I have in my reply to your larger post?
sedthh

JCF Member

Dec 1, 2007, 04:21 PM
Quote:
sedthh, would you please answer the questions I have in my reply to your larger post?
Yes, and I am pretty certain that it will be the last reply you get from me for a while, because this stupid reasoning won't get us anywhere. As I can imagine, you are mad at me for being so confident and not having such experience on coding DS homebrews behind my back as you do. So what if I wanted to use palib? I just happen to have clicked on the very first link google gave me and I started digging into it, and I didn't know it was THAT slow and useless for such huge project. Now I'm going along with devkit.

And no I am not planning to use a rampack.

Seriously I am 100% sure I will at least release a beta of this game, but I do not know when. My exams and xmas is near. If I can just ask for one thing: please, if you do not want to post any advices or ideas on the project, then just ignore this thread. I do not want to read about how retarded and incompetent I am every day until I finish the game. You can all release your anger at me if I fail at this project later, I promise.

so lets get back on-topic shall we

Administrator

Dec 1, 2007, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedthh View Post
Seriously I am 100% sure I will at least release a beta of this game, but I do not know when. My exams and xmas is near. If I can just ask for one thing: please, if you do not want to post any advices or ideas on the project, then just ignore this thread. I do not want to read about how retarded and incompetent I am every day until I finish the game. You can all release your anger at me if I fail at this project later, I promise.
Word!
ahat

JCF Member

Dec 1, 2007, 05:10 PM
You didn't really answer my questions, though.
n00b

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Dec 1, 2007, 05:38 PM
Idea: mid episode cutscenes akin to jj1 to explain how a lab leads to colonial times etc., unless someone already mentioned it and I didnt notice.

I will now open myself for attack mentioning said opening in some poorly constructed joke, and then become quite whiny when someone takes me up on my offer. Ready? Go.

Last edited by n00b; Dec 2, 2007 at 12:15 PM.

JCF Member

Olsen is doing well so far

Dec 2, 2007, 08:13 AM
Uhm, just a question... Have there been ANY work done on the "port"?
Old Dec 2, 2007, 08:35 AM
Dermo
This message has been deleted by Stijn.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 03:51 AM
ahat
This message has been deleted by Stijn. Reason: Troll. Full warning.
Old May 22, 2016, 11:58 AM
luke11685
This message has been deleted by Stijn. Reason: unwarranted thread revival