Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Archived forums (closed for posting) » War Tavern

ToU Part 3! Come join in before it becomes 40 pages!

JCF Member

White Rabbit is doing well so far

Dec 13, 2005, 08:17 AM
Ask him who Dennis is.
Offer him page 44 in return of more information about the town.

JCF Éminence Grise

Fawriel is doing well so far

Dec 13, 2005, 09:02 AM
Not who, where. Dennis is a direction. ;o

JCF Member

Dec 13, 2005, 10:24 AM
Both who and what. He doesn't know where.
Also note that Dennis was a direction in some kind of text-based dungeon game.

EDIT: You can find the game here: http://www.homestarrunner.com/dungeonman.html

Last edited by White Rabbit; Dec 13, 2005 at 10:54 AM.

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

Dec 13, 2005, 11:58 AM
If I remember correctly, Dennis was used before in ToU so its not anything new.

JCF Member

Dev is doing well so far

Dec 13, 2005, 11:59 AM
Yay for WR getting the reference! =D

"Thank you for the money, semi-Canadian man! Now, be back later."
"Don't bother," he replied. "I'll likely kick ya in the shin if ya do, ey."
I frowned. "That's evil," I told him.
"I'm evil."
I left the now-evil former Irishman to have a talk with Araches. "Romantic issues?" I asked.
"Something like that," she said with shrug.
"Can I help?"
"Yeah, I really want to take relationship advice from YOU," she replied in a sarcastic tone. "Just look at YOUR girlfriend!"
She pointed to L33tz4n, who was plucking the petals from the compass rose I had given her. "He's loves me... n0t," she said sadly as she plucked the final petal and let it fall to the ground.
"Firstly, the voices never really sorted out who my girlfriend was," I pointed out. "And secondly, you DO know something about her, so base your decision off of that." Arached nodded. I then handed her the Cheshire Pendant and said, "This might come in handy." Araches seemed to have a stroke of inspiration, then took off running towards the landromat, pendant in hand.
I turned back to the Irish Canadian. "I'm such a good person," I said with a smile. "Anyway, who, what or where is Dennis?"
"Don't ya ever shut, there?" he replied angrily. It looked like the evil hormone therapy had finally kicked in, causing him to become another evil Canadian. I wasn't sure why he had to be evil and Canadian to work on the Isle of Darkness, but maybe I could still get some info out of him. "I'll give you the 44th page in exchange for more information on the island." He grunted and walked away, without so much as an obscene gesture.
"Let's go kill cyborg zombies now!" I suggested. My party and I, minus Araches, walked into the arcade and spoke with the manager. "We have monies!" I declared. "Let us play!"
"You have to buy a ticket at the gift shop," the Canadian arcade manager replied.
"That's awfully inconvienient."
"Isle of Darkness arcade regulations prohibit the sale of ammunition in an arcade," he explained. "You get shotgun ammo with the purchase of your ticket."

Old Dec 13, 2005, 12:04 PM
MSB3000
This message has been deleted by MSB3000. Reason: Wa?

JCF Member

MSB3000 is doing well so far

Dec 13, 2005, 12:11 PM
The voices declare that L33tz4n is Uberbob's girlfriend.

Now to leave the more coplicated commands to people with more time on their hands.

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 13, 2005, 12:20 PM
Agreed.

Go to the gift shop and buy a ticket, ammo inclusive. And of course, in the likely case that there will be no complications, go pick up Araches on the way back to the arcade ( in case of a battle.. which is unlikely considering the shotgun-stuff, but.. *shrugs* ).

JCF Member

Dec 13, 2005, 12:24 PM
If she's "busy," tell her she can do it later.

JCF Member

Ae has disabled reputation

Dec 13, 2005, 12:34 PM
Get another pendant while you're there.

JCF Member

Dec 13, 2005, 12:42 PM
Invite the others to take one as well.

JCF Member

Dec 13, 2005, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooba
Have Faw save at Antifoo.
Go W and proceed to the Romero challenge. (when Faw is back ofc =P )
Go E, E and buy ticket before going W, W into the arcade.

JCF Member

Dev is doing well so far

Dec 13, 2005, 01:42 PM
"L33tz4n!" I called out. "You're officially my girlfriend."
She looked as though she wasn't sure how to feel. "Um... let m3 think about it, okay?"
"Not okay," I told her. "What the voices say goes. You're my girlfriend now."
She looked a bit angry when I told her this. Anger is associated with fire, which is associated with the color red, which is associated with PASSION, so clearly I was on the right track. I could almost hear our wedding bells ringing, along with the sound of Alien Demon Vampires approaching.
"Faw, go save." Fawriel teleported, then returned, looking as though he had just saved. I slapped him on the back to reassure him that he was a part of the team. I then confidently strolled into the gift shop. "Cha-ching!" I exclaimed as I smacked my twenty dollars and thirty five cents on the counter.
The scarey Canadian cashier lady counted out the money and sighed. "Okay, so you can actually afford something," she admitted as she handed me my game ticket and two shotgun shells. "I hope you get eatten by the cyborg zombies, though."
"Thank you!" I said as I reached for another Cheshire Pendant. Before I could grab one, the cashier pulled a TMP out from under her chair and aimed it at my head.
"One per person," she said. I sighed and walked back outside. That cashier really had a gift for making me feel badly about myself.
"Dija get the suff?" Shuri asked as I approached.
"Yup," I answered, victoriously holding up the ticket and shells. "Let's go get Araches in case there's a battle which is unlikely because of the shotgun-stuff but..." I stopped talking and shrugged.
Shuri raised an eyebrow. "Uh... may I carry the shells?" she asked.
"You're a girl, you can't own gun stuff," I explained. "Anyway, it's time to see if my lesbian matchmaking was a success!"
I dragged everyone North, and then East to the laundrymat entrance. Araches was standing outside with a hand-shaped bruise across her face. "How'd it go?" I asked.
"I don't want to talk about it."
"Cool. Let's go shoot stuff!"
We went back to the arcade. The smokey air and bad techno music were a small price to pay for the promise of cyborg zombie action.

Inventory
Code:
 First-Aid Kit Shotgun Rope Duct Tape One-way Pogo Stick Thirdeighteennoteevenbettercitrusfruitymanypagedla zerlightysuperflyingfullyclotheductscraptlegalfourseatsestrudelire Magic Map Mittens Ice Tools Cheshire Pendant Conquista’s Laundry Healing Herbs Ammunition (2 shells) Game Ticket

JCF Member

Ae has disabled reputation

Dec 13, 2005, 01:58 PM
Make the codebox thing bigger and load the shotgun. Have Fawriel save again, and talk to the counterguy.

JCF Member

Dec 13, 2005, 02:11 PM
Yes, show him the ticket and play the game... ;|
And there's no need for excessive saving.

Banned

Odin is doing well so far

Dec 13, 2005, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNKNOWNFILE
*page *claim
Quiet, you. You're too young to get the reference.

Anyways, one can never save too often. Playing many adventure games myself, saving often is one of the best strategys to VICTORY.

And do what AE said.

JCF Member

Dev is doing well so far

Dec 13, 2005, 02:56 PM
*attempts to make the codebox bigger but doesn't really know what he's doing*

Inventory
Code:
 First-Aid Kit Shotgun Rope Duct Tape Pogo Stick Thirdeighteennoteevenbettercitrusfruitymanypagedla zerlightysuperflyingfullyclotheductscraptlegalfourseatsestrudelire Magic Map Mitten Ice Tools Cheshire Pendant Conquista’s Laundry Healing Herbs Ammunition (2 shells) Game Ticket
Better?

"Go save again," I told Fawriel. "I'm feeling oddly paranoid for someone holding a shotgun." While he was gone I cocked back the weapon and loaded the two shells. It's a good thing there seemed to be no police on the Isle of Darkness. Once he returned, the six of us made our way to the counter at the back of the arcade.
"Counterguy," I called out. "We've got a ticket." I handed him my game pass, then stood back and awaited his response.
"Yeah, okay," the counterguy said after ripping my ticket in half. "Prepare to enter a world consumed by fear and darkness; a world where your only friend is your gun, and where cyborg zombies reign supreme! Welcome to... the ROMERO CHALLENGE!" He pulled a lever on the wall behind him. Without warning, a trap door open beneath us. We plummeted several feet through a dark tunnel before landing on a large, blood-stained mattress.
After getting back on my feet, I decided to do what I do best: examine my surrounding. We were in a square-shapped room made of stone. Aside from the mattress we had landed on, it was entirely unfurnished. There were exits to the West and North, which were basically just openings leading to other rooms. To the East, however, was an actual wooden door with a sign hanging on it.

I peered up into the tunnel we had fallen out of. It looked exactly like a heating duct; square-shaped and metallic. There were no footholds to climb back up on.
A small light bulb hung from the ceiling beside a crude speaker system, creating just enough light for me to see that I was now wearing a studded collar, a black tank top, and a pair of bondage pants. I also seemed to have a nosering for some reason. Odd.
My party was also dressed differently. Fawriel was wearing a fishnet shirt with baggy, torn jeans; Shuriken had on a cropped black t-shirt, a weird sort of frilly skirt, and combat boots. Little L33tz4n had her arms tightly crossed, apparently trying to hide the skimpy black top and breastplate she had been imbued with. Fooruman was now wearing a leather trenchcoat and black sunglasses, while the FooCanoe sported spikes along it edges. Araches, for reasons beyond anything I could fathom, was now wearing pink bunny pajamas, complete with a hood and sewn-on floppy ears. I guess they ran out of cool goth clothes and had no choice but to improvise.
"Listen up!" a voice cried out on the speaker overhead. "Go through the maze until you reach the end, and you'll win a fabulous prize! Bathrooms are located to the right for your convienience. Your clothing and personal items will be returned when and if you survive the Challenge. There is no time limit, so feel free to take as long as you want to perish. Have a nice day, and remember: aim for the head!" The voice fell silent, but was quickly replaced by loud heavy metal music, which echoed throughout the maze. After searching my pockets, I found that all I had on me was the shotgun. My companions were also without their usual weapons. It would have been a really cool, but somehow the risk of dying a horrible death at the hands of zombie cyborgs made the situation somewhat less appealing.

Last edited by Dev; Dec 13, 2005 at 03:08 PM.

Banned

Dec 13, 2005, 03:08 PM
Save, then head west.

JCF Member

Dev is doing well so far

Dec 13, 2005, 04:54 PM
I wandered into the bathroom/save point and looked around. Out of all the save points I had encountered in my quest, this was by far the worst. The floor was dirty and the sinks were full of bacteria. The toilets all looked to be clogged, plus the soap dispensers were out of soap. On the sides of the stalls were a few bits of graffiti. I got a closer look and read one of the messages.

I've ****ed in Japan and I've ****ed in France,
But before I'd **** in here, I'd **** in my pants.

A rather amusing little number, and it rang so true. Below it was etched another message.

In the year 2005, this toilet shall be flushed by a rabbit who lost an arm, a leg and an ear somewhere along the way.

"Silly mens room prophecy," I said as I flushed the toilet. It instantly exploded, covering me in... well, let's not even go there.
After washing myself off the best I could I reentered the previous room. "My Uber-senses are tingling!" I announced. "To the WEST!"
"What smells like... death?" Shuriken asked.
"It's probably just the cyborg zombies that are about to maim us," I suggested. "C'mon gang! Follow me to... SOMEWHEREELSEIGUESS!"
We walked West down a long hallway, while heavy metal continued to blast over the sound system. At the end of the hallway was a divide: exits were to the North and South, as well as the Eastern hall I had just walked down. I could hear the moaning of the undead and the creaking of poorly-oiled mechanical limbs. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell which direction the sounds were coming from.

Banned

Dec 13, 2005, 05:03 PM
Head south, and keep the wall to your back.

JCF Member

UNKNOWNFILE is doing well so far

Dec 13, 2005, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev
I wandered into the bathroom/save point and looked around. Out of all the save points I had encountered in my quest, this was by far the worst. The floor was dirty and the sinks were full of bacteria. The toilets all looked to be clogged, plus the soap dispensers were out of soap. On the sides of the stalls were a few bits of graffiti.
sounds like a typical high school bathroom

PS: Unreal > JJ2.

JCF Member

Dev is doing well so far

Dec 13, 2005, 05:27 PM
@UKNOWNFILE: What did you think my source of inspiration was?

I slowly manuevered South, keeping my back to the wall. My posse and I got to the end of the hallway, where another room entrance was waiting for us. I readied my shotgun, waited for the death metal to reach its awesome guitar solo, then dramatically leapt into the room. Everything seemed to be going well, until...

... CYBORG ZOMBIES ATTACKED! Or rather, ONE cyborg zombie attacked, but it was still pretty scarey. He moved towards me slowly, in typical zombie fashion. Combined with his decaying undead body were mechanical limbs, though much less cool-looking than my own. He grabbed onto my shoulders; his piercing zombie gaze staring directly into my soul. I put the barrel of the shotgun to his forehead. "No soup for you!" I shouted as I pulled the trigger, blowing his brains against the walls. The rest of his body fell to the floor, twitching a few times before becoming completely motionless.
Decapitation was now my new favorite pastime. Unfortunately, the only exit out of the zombie room was back the way I came.

Banned

Dec 13, 2005, 05:30 PM
Go north, north, keep shotgun close, and be ready to use it like a heavy blunt stick when you run out of ammo.

JCF Member

Dev is doing well so far

Dec 13, 2005, 05:48 PM
@Odin: This isn't Shaun of the Dead. No way are you gonna be killing cyborg zombies by whomping them.

We went back the way we came until we reached the hall leading East, then continued Northward. The hall took a sharp turn East up ahead. I could hear the same undead moaning as before...

Banned

Dec 13, 2005, 05:53 PM
Pfft, fine...

Look east, strafe northward (or in other words, strafe so that you face the hall).

EDIT: Also, can we cast spells?

Last edited by Odin; Dec 13, 2005 at 06:18 PM.

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

Dec 13, 2005, 07:30 PM
Nice. Canadians, zombies AND Death Metal? This sounds like the type of place I'd be in ;).

Agreed with Odin I guess.

If we run out of shotgun ammo, we could just use spells on the cyborg zombies, right? (Odin already asked this but I didnt see it so blah).

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 13, 2005, 09:27 PM
I doubt it. *sigh*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev
"L33tz4n!" I called out. "You're officially my girlfriend."
She looked as though she wasn't sure how to feel. "Um... let m3 think about it, okay?"
"Not okay," I told her. "What the voices say goes. You're my girlfriend now."
Dev.
Not EVERYTHING we say is a command, you know. ;/

JCF Member

Dec 14, 2005, 02:18 AM
Darn it! Was it a double-barreled shotgun?! YOU FOOS! One shot, one kill! Don't load both bullets together!!!! >O >O >O

JCF Member

Dev is doing well so far

Dec 14, 2005, 07:52 AM
@Odin and Blackraptor: You can try.

@Faw: Uberbob lives by the voices. A voice said L33tz4n was his girlfriend, thus, in his mind, it was so.

@WR: We'll say it's a single-barrel. I'm not THAT mean.

I peered East down the corridor. I couldn't see much of anything, as the lighting was very poor throughout the entire labyrinth, possibly as a contribution to the zombie movie feeling they had strived so hard to capture. I signaled to my companions that the coast was clear, even though I had no idea if it was actually true. I had the sudden urge to strafe Northward.
According to Merriam-Webster's online dictionary, strafing is defined as to "rake (as ground troops) with fire at close range, and especially with machine-gun fire from low-flying aircraft." For this reason, strafing seemed a bit difficult, so I started playing with Araches' floppy pink bunny hood instead. She was not amused.

Maybe it's some slang form I've never heard, but I think by "strafe" you mean "sidle." Forgive me for my ignorance, but I assume you don't want to shoot the Northern wall. XD

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

Dec 14, 2005, 08:53 AM
In first-person-shooters, to strafe is to move sideways. E.g. strafing round someone usually means to move round them in a circle, firing at them (the idea being that they've got to keep turning to follow you round).

I think here Odin wanted the party to face East, then sidestep North (presumably so anything nasty down that corridor would find us harder to hit).

JCF Member

Dev is doing well so far

Dec 14, 2005, 09:19 AM
@BoggyB: Thanks. I don't play first-person shooters. XD

I took a deep breath to calm my nerves. As much as I enjoyed shooting the last cyborg zombie, I knew I only had one shot left. I had to make it count. I nodded to my companions. "Step lightly," I told them. "Keep your back to the wall, and be ready on my signal."
"Be ready to do what?" Shuriken asked, holding down the sides of her skirt. She was still getting use to her new clothes, and desperately trying to keep the fur she was exposing to a minimum.
"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it," I replied. The group exchanged worried glances amongst each other, with the exception of the old man in the canoe, who was jauntily singing along with lyrics of the metal bands that continued to blare on the speaker system. It sounded like the soundtrack of our endeavour consisted of Hearts Wanted, Steel Rails, and Rantasia. Not particularly good bands, but then very little of this "Romero Challege" had reflected any sort of quality. At least the music was consistant... almost comforting in its repetitive nature.
We sidestepped along the wall, facing East. Before us stretched another hallway, as mysterious as any we had seen so far. The interior beyond our direct range of vision was shrouded in darkness. It was either a dead end or an extremely long passage with no lights lining the edges. I nibbled on my bottom lip slightly; a nervous tic, I suppose.
L33tz4n noticed that I was nervous. I had upset her earlier, but now she seemed to be feeling some pity for my current situation. She placed a teal hand on my shoulder. "Take your time," she said softly. I was slightly reassured, though still worried about what might be lying in wait for me down the dark, dank passage...

JCF Member

Dec 14, 2005, 09:58 AM
Go E...
Anyway, I have a secret weapon. I will draw the maze as we go along. Current explored areas are shown, with dotted borders, and 'stopping' points are represented by asterisks. Stopping points with zombies are shown with exclamation marks.

Code:
               |.....|
               |     |
	       |  !  <-- Rabid zombie.
               |     |   Avoid.             
               |     |
               |     |-------
               |      _______			       
               |     |			      
               |     |			
	       |     |
               |     |
	       |     |
	       |     |------------------------------------|
|--------------|	  				  |
| *     	  *			 *		! <-- Rabid zombie.	
|    __________________________________      _____________|   Avoid.
|   |				      |     |
|   |                                 |     |
|   |				      |     |
|   |                 ------------|   |     |
|   |-----|	      | *        !|   |     |-----------------|
| *     ! <-- Rabid   |    _______|   |  *                  * |
|_________|   zombie. |   |           |      _____________    |
	      Avoid.  |   |           |     |             |   |
		      |   |	      |     |             |   |
		      |   |	      |     |             |   |
	              |   |           |     |	          |   |
		      |   |-----------|     |-----------| | ! <-- Rabid zombie.
		      | *                *          Save| |...|   Avoid.
                      |    _____________________________|
                      |   |
                      |   |
		      | ! |
		      |---|

Last edited by White Rabbit; Dec 16, 2005 at 09:01 AM.

JCF Member

UNKNOWNFILE is doing well so far

Dec 14, 2005, 10:38 AM
wow that's one biiiiiiiiig area :P

PS: Unreal > JJ2.

JCF Member

Dev is doing well so far

Dec 14, 2005, 11:41 AM
@WR: Nice.

I decided to bite the bullet, figuratively speaking, and went down the Eastern hall. No sooner had I stepped into the darkness when a cold, mechanical hand grabbed hold of me. I tried to shake it off, but it was no use. I shouted for the aid of my companions, but they were either terror-stricken or didn't care.
I leapt backwards, carrying the attacker with me. We both fell into the light, and sure enough, it was another cyborg zombie. I raised my weapon once more, shooving the barrel directly into it's foaming mouth. "All in favor, say DIE!" I fired my last shotgun shell, blasting the revenant's head directly off its metalic shoulders. I kicked the lifeless corpse off of me and got back to my feet. Turning to my party I asked, "Why didn't you help me?"
"It looked like you had things under control," Araches answered. "Anyway, it really won't matter once we've all been eatten alive."
I didn't like her initiative. For someone in pink bunny pajamas, she wasn't being very helpful. After shaking my head in dissatisfaction I led everyone back East, hoping that there were no more zombies. There weren't, probably because it was a dead end.

JCF Member

Dec 14, 2005, 11:55 AM
W again.
S, E, then E.

JCF Member

CrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legend

Dec 14, 2005, 11:58 AM
*watches carefully before posting*

Stick with White Rabbit...

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Dec 14, 2005, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimiClown®
Stick with White Rabbit...
Follow the white rabbit...

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

JCF Member

CrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legend

Dec 14, 2005, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radium
Follow the white rabbit...

JCF Member

Dev is doing well so far

Dec 14, 2005, 12:25 PM
@Crimi: You're like that guy on Seinfeld who kept sneaking up behind Elaine at work and taking partial credit for everything she did. XD C'mon and play already! ;3

@Rad: You're distracting them from the task at hand! >O Take your amusing antics elsewhere, the War Tavern is no place for entertainment.

We backtracked all the way to the start of the maze. To the North was the other hall we had yet to explore, and to the East was the save point/mensroom. In the middle of the room was the same bloody mattress we had landed on shortly after taking up the challenge.
"West was a bust," Araches muttered. "And now we're left with an entire unexplored passage, and no more ammo. Great job, Uberbob. Pacman would be proud."
"You're not help1ng," L33tz4n pointed out. Araches' expression changed, reflecting a hint of shame.
"Uh... I'll shut up now," Araches said, with a nod to L33tz4n. "Sorry L33tz4n... Uberbob..."
Araches seemed to have a lot of respect for L33tz4n, but they were never that friendly with one another. I guess Araches was worried that she might scare off L33tz4n in the same way that she did Shuriken.
I went East, back into the bathroom. The floor was covered in the remnants of my ealier adventure.

Last edited by Dev; Dec 14, 2005 at 12:40 PM.

Banned

Dec 14, 2005, 12:31 PM
North, and be ready to run.

JCF Member

Dec 14, 2005, 12:33 PM
Go N.
EDIT: Run N.