Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

jazz gba = great

bean

JCF Member

bean is doing well so far

Dec 26, 2002, 10:35 AM
jazz gba = great

I'm an oldie, left a while ago and I'm not offically back so I'm not going to use my real username. anyway I got jazz gba the other day and I've been playing it pretty much nonstop, wasn't sure what to expect but the game turned out really really good. it's not totally like the originals but after seeing the first screenshots I wasn't expecting it to be. if you go into it thinking it's going to be jazz 2.1 you're bound to be dissapointed, this is a different game and should be treated as such. anyway the gameplay is a lot stronger than I expected, always something to do and never gets boring (although it is a little on the short side, most gameboy games are, they're made for quick plays).

most of the game is your standard jazz really - shoot bad guys, collect new guns, shoot more bad guys, kill boss, next stage. it's nice to finally get to see new guns instead of just new ammo, definite plus for the game. the art isn't exactly like the pc games but then again it's a totally different system. i found the animations to be really fluid and the multi scrolling backgrounds are some of the best I've seen on the gba. the sound rocks and doesn't sound like gameboy-like bleeps and bloops at all, it's actually pretty pleasing to the ears. the cutscenes are actually a lot cooler than they look in the screen shots, there's movement all over and several different pictures to go along with the text. The story is "whatever" (i could care less about story in this kind of game) but the text is pretty funny most of the time.

only got a chance to play multiplayer on single-PAK mode since my bro has a gba but doesn't have the game. it's really fun even in this limited version, pretty much like playing j2 only the other player is right there next to you (the cords are short too). if the single-PAK is any indication, the multi-PAK probably rocks hard.

it's not all great though, there are a few problems. it could be a little longer (the difficulty levels help that a lot, you can crank up the difficulty big time), there's not enough of the awesome sound effects, and i guess they could have kept the look closer to the pc versions to keep some people happy although it doesn't bother me anymore, I kinda like the new look now that i'm used to it. i really hope this game does well, people playing it will think highly of jazz i think and that means there's a much better chance of finally getting j3d! overall it's a great game jazz or not and I recommend it. don't miss this game just because you're still whining about the look. my score would be 9.2/10.0, great but not perfect.

there's a review of for it on nintendophiles (http://www.n-philes.com/php/epupvaapvkayffkvkpk.php), check it out. they give it a 9.0/10.0 which is the same rating they gave golden sun 2 and advance wars.

JCF Member

Newspaz has disabled reputation

Dec 26, 2002, 10:43 AM
It might look nice, it might play nice once you get the hang of the controls. You might love the new guns, and the money (which obviously means you played GTA3 to much) . But there's one problem.

It's not Jazz Jackrabbit. Period.

JCF Member

BlazinDragon is doing well so far

Dec 26, 2002, 12:11 PM
I did a lil research and lookie what i found.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/gamepa...sp?gameId=1518

its just barely a tidbit of info, no pics or tips. Its alreay getting unpopular =\
#1= 100%
#2= 100%
#3= 100%
#4= 100%
#5= 25%

~BlazinDragon
~Dragoon
~Firebolt
~Iced Killer
~KILLERRABBIT
Trafton

JCF Member

Trafton is an asset to this forum

Dec 26, 2002, 12:24 PM
Some people love it but do not it is not Jazz, and some people hate it and do not it's not Jazz. I think that people are entitled to their individual opinions, Newspaz. Some seem to like it, some don't. I'll decide for myself. ;p

JCF Member

Hellraiser is doing well so far

Dec 26, 2002, 12:42 PM
I actually like the game.

Others, however, have their own opinions

Quote:
Newspaz: It's not Jazz Jackrabbit. Period.
It's called "Jazz Jackrabbit", and when the game loads it has the "Epic Games" logo, therefore it must be a game featuring Epic's Jazz Jackrabbit.

Quote:
Killerrabbit: its just barely a tidbit of info, no pics or tips. Its alreay getting unpopular =\
there's lots of games on Nintendo's site that don't have pics or tips, and Nintendo has always been the type of company to tell you very little about third party games.

And if it's so "unpopular", then why is it rated 4.5 out of 5 stars?
Paul

JCF Member

Paul is doing well so far

Dec 26, 2002, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Newspaz
It might look nice, it might play nice once you get the hang of the controls. You might love the new guns, and the money (which obviously means you played GTA3 to much) . But there's one problem.

It's not Jazz Jackrabbit. Period.
Good lord! It seems that some people enjoy stamping out joy wherever it may lurk.

Clearly, people are enjoying this game; and clearly, it is Jazz Jackrabbit.

{sarcasm}
I'd love to have seen the reaction when JJ2 came out.

"HEY! THIS SUCKS! WHY IS THE RESOLUTION SO HIGH!?!?!?!?!111"

"THIS ISN'T JAZZ! THERE ARE NO 3D BONUS STAGES!!!!111!!!"

"***?!?!?! I CAN'T STAND THESE EIGHT LEVELS OF SCENERY!!! IT'S NOT JUST LIKE JJ1!"

"THERE WAS NO LEVEL EDITOR IN THE ORIGNINAL!! AND WHAT'S UP WITH JAZZ?!?!? HE'S SO TALL! AND THERE WAS NO PEPPER SPRAY BEFORE!!!"

{/sarcasm}

Giovanni Giacomo Gastoldi (1550-1622)

-Paul

Proudly 7th to register. (:
Trafton

JCF Member

Dec 26, 2002, 01:49 PM
This isn't Jazz, eh? Let's see then...he's wearing different clothes and has a different hairdo? So, if I change my clothes and cut my hair I'll be a different person? ;P

Anyway, everyone is entitled to their opinions. Some love it, some hate it. Still, I have to disagree about the "this isn't Jazz" part. It's what's inside that counts, not what he is wearing.

JCF Member

defalcon has disabled reputation

Dec 26, 2002, 02:55 PM
Trafton:
It's not the haircut and clothing really, it's the fact that they changed everything that made Jazz Jazz.
MaGoo

JCF Member

MaGoo is doing well so far

Dec 26, 2002, 04:58 PM
I think we should all be lucky we got this far.

JCF Member

Dec 26, 2002, 06:37 PM
so true.

-Paul

Trafton

JCF Member

Dec 26, 2002, 06:41 PM
I agree completely with MAGOO. After all, we're lucky that we have a game, let alone a game that a year ago we would have never imagined existed (well, most of us anyway, if you know what I mean.)

JCF Member

KRSplat is a forum legendKRSplat is a forum legend

Dec 26, 2002, 07:54 PM
The player ratings on Nintendo.com must have very few ratings so far. I voted once and it changed from a 4 to 5 average.

JCF Member

Dec 27, 2002, 02:58 AM
Think whatever you want. But I stick to my opinion.

The day it was showed first, everyone thought it sucks. And now everyone suddenly likes it. Strange, but true.
Oh btw, quit telling me it is Jazz Jackrabbit because it has all logos etc. You guys know what I mean :P.

Last edited by Newspaz; Dec 27, 2002 at 03:20 AM.
Lyris[SD]

JCF Member

Lyris[SD] is doing well so far

Dec 27, 2002, 03:14 AM
I think the game is pretty gross. I don't like what they've done to Jazz, the original character design was much better. I also find that the tiles just don't tile and the overall look is pretty bland.

IMO this is a disappointing to average copy of Generic Platformer #234 and it's a shame the Jazz Jackrabbit name is on.

Quote:
" It's called "Jazz Jackrabbit", and when the game loads it has the "Epic Games" logo, therefore it must be a game featuring Epic's Jazz Jackrabbit."
Not at all! A brand name is a brand name that can easily be applied to anything!

Quote:
" there's lots of games on Nintendo's site that don't have pics or tips, and Nintendo has always been the type of company to tell you very little about third party games.

And if it's so "unpopular", then why is it rated 4.5 out of 5 stars?"
I'm pretty sure the site is more or less rigged - I'm not saying it's all like that but I'm pretty sure Nintendo will check and knock off 80% of the votes less than 3 stars for their AAA titles (this surely is not one of them).
Paul

JCF Member

Dec 27, 2002, 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Newspaz
Think whatever you want. But I stick to my opinion.

The day it was showed first, everyone thought it sucks. And now everyone suddenly likes it. Strange, but true.
Oh btw, quit telling me it is Jazz Jackrabbit because it has all logos etc. You guys know what I mean :P.
I've been happy from the very first. Go look back at my posts

-Paul

JCF Member

Dec 27, 2002, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
I've been happy from the very first. Go look back at my posts
As one of the few. yes..

JCF Member

Dec 27, 2002, 06:16 AM
No matter what, it's still the Jazz Jackrabbit franchise, and it uses the name Jazz Jackrabbit. It gives us hope.

This is truly the issue. Do you support something that's changed completely? Or do you hate it? Well, if we don't, then who will? You can't be too picky. This right now was rather unexpected. Jazz was a dead franchise. This new game restored a chance for the return.

On the other hand, if you want Jazz to be completely dead, you can boo at it and we can be stuck with Jazz 2 forever. Your choice.

JCF Member

Dec 27, 2002, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by KRSplat
No matter what, it's still the Jazz Jackrabbit franchise, and it uses the name Jazz Jackrabbit. It gives us hope.

This is truly the issue. Do you support something that's changed completely? Or do you hate it? Well, if we don't, then who will? You can't be too picky. This right now was rather unexpected. Jazz was a dead franchise. This new game restored a chance for the return.

On the other hand, if you want Jazz to be completely dead, you can boo at it and we can be stuck with Jazz 2 forever. Your choice.
You seem to forget that if this concept takes off, next games will be just like it. And if you don't care about that, you must have lost the love for the game.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Dec 27, 2002, 01:06 PM
Actually, CliffyB said (to the effect of) if JJA was a sucess, he would try to get some more [u]real Jazz[u] games made.

JCF Member

Dec 27, 2002, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown Rabbit
Actually, CliffyB said (to the effect of) if JJA was a sucess, he would try to get some more [u]real Jazz[u] games made.
Where did he say that? :P
Hellraiser

JCF Member

Hellraiser is doing well so far

Dec 27, 2002, 08:13 PM
I don't recall those being Cliffy's exact words.

Although, he did mention that the changes to jazz were not quite what he expected, and that if any future games were made, "the red bandanna will return", which obviously means that Jazz will look more like his usual self in the next installment.
Aiko

JCF Member

Aiko is doing well so far

Dec 28, 2002, 02:46 AM
I'm absolutely with Newspaz here. And death to the consoles!
Bliss AKA Blink

JCF Member

Bliss AKA Blink is doing well so far

Dec 28, 2002, 03:15 AM
Your all saying its such a bad game.. but be honest, Jazz2 isnt that great either.. its just because of all the stuff people made for it most of you guys still play it.
Chiyu

JCF member

Chiyu has disabled reputation

Dec 28, 2002, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bliss AKA Blink
Your all saying its such a bad game.. but be honest, Jazz2 isnt that great either.. its just because of all the stuff people made for it most of you guys still play it.
That's right.

If I didn't have my tilesets and levels, I would have left this game a looong time ago.

JCF Member

ET' is doing well so far

Dec 28, 2002, 07:06 AM
Thumbs up Lets think back to the Jazz 1 manual

Any of you remember the comic story of Jazz that came in the Jazz 1 instruction manual? When Jazz is rewarded with a 'rock' that the mice give him for saving their village, Jazz thinks ' Note to self : Next time I visit, bring a cat along.' This attitude is in GBA Jazz which is what really makes Jazz the real Jazz. Ok, so he has lost some weight, waxed his skin, and is wearing Pants ( unlike Spaz, hehe :P ) his attidude to 'wanting to not have to collect coins, 50 bananas, stars ' and ' wanting to retire and live in a tropical planet sipping carrot juice ' is definitly the same as Jazz 1. Anyway, head bands and arm bands arn't in fashion, Jazz needs to keep up with the times . Anyway, if you look carfully at the uniform, you can see that his head band has been turned into a shirt and his blaster has somehow been turned into his jeans.

What I like about the game is the cut scenes, in Jazz 1 at the end of every episode there was a little cut scene often of Jazz kicking some turtle butt, they have used the same style in this game too . At the end of each mission there is a cutscene of Jazz in his space ship being given new orders. This gives the game more of a story line. Jazz 2 never had any real story line, to me it seems that you just escaped from the castle and went to different planets until u found Devan. This game seems to have more direction.

The gameplay takes a bit of getting used to. The movement isn't as good as that of Jazz 1 and Jazz 2 but what do u expect, its on a GBA, its limited. Being able to shoot in different directions takes a bit of getting used to but can be really handy when some turtles are at the top of the slope. Unfortuantly the enemies can shoot at diagnals as well, just because your above or below them doesn't mean your safe :P

In my opinion, the enemies are better than the enemys in JJ2. Most of the enemys in JJ2 just seem to walk left right left right until they bang into you. In GBA Jazz some of the enemys have multiple weapons, the metal turtle thing fires home in missiles, missiles, flames and minigun bullets. Other enemies like the turtles communicate to each other to get ready to mob u ( hehe, their voices are funny ).

Anyway, I think GBA Jazz keeps the Jazz spirit alive and kicking. If you want to have a good laugh and the Jazz spirit is still in you u should buy this game.

Beneath Jazz's cloths there is still a green rabbit who wants to kick some turtle shell..

.... if only it came with a JCS

JCF Member

Dec 28, 2002, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hellraiser
I don't recall those being Cliffy's exact words.

Although, he did mention that the changes to jazz were not quite what he expected, and that if any future games were made, "the red bandanna will return", which obviously means that Jazz will look more like his usual self in the next installment.
"Still, I recognize that you guys aren't feeling it and if we do a Jazz 3 I assure you that the headband WILL return."

JCF Member

Red_XIII is doing well so far

Dec 28, 2002, 12:24 PM
RFF

I feel like killing someone. *glares at Trafton*

Jazz GBA is ok. And I'll stick with OK. here is a list

Pros->
1)Jazz is back
2)Some old enemies
3)Some old tiles > : )
4)Good graphics
5)Great use of layers

Cons->
1)Jazz? WHERE? Jazz looks different
2)**** it, stupid star wars
3)JCS. FFS JCS!
4)I hate the controls. I've played it and one of the major cons is that the jump and then helicopter ears DO NOT work. and I say DO NOT. ffs, the jump is buggy! PATCH xD

Well.. the pros outweigh the cons, but I stick with my opinion.

JAZZ IS OK! xD

2.5/5 for Jazz. A good, balanced game

JCF Member

Bliss AKA Blink is doing well so far

Dec 28, 2002, 02:09 PM
quote -> you must have lost the love for the game. <- (cant be bothered learning all those mb codes)

indeed. a long long time ago.

You guys are afraid of changes. Jazz was in need of a good change, and they did it. Look at worms 1 and worms 2/armageddon/w.p, they changed the looks, but its still worms, same here.
MadRabb

JCF Member

MadRabb has disabled reputation

Dec 28, 2002, 02:36 PM
I think jazz's old look was a lot better then gba
Bartman

JCF Member

Bartman is doing well so far

Dec 28, 2002, 03:45 PM
Well, you'll probably have to look at it in a different perspective, remember Conker's Pocket Tales? Well why did Rare suddenly go to Conker's Bad Fur Day? Well they said 'People grow up, so does Conker, is there something wrong with that?'

Why not say the same thing for Jazz? Maybe he's too old for the run and gun scenario?

JCF Veteran

Tubz is doing well so far

Dec 28, 2002, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bliss AKA Blink
He's absolutely right. Jazz2 isnt that great. Jazz 1 was the best! And in my opinion it had better graphics, gameplay everything. It was 10 times harder than JJ2 also. Put JJ2 on hard against JJ1 on hard. Try beating level 1 of JJ1 on the max hard.

JJ1 owned, and I wish that JJ2 had looked something like it.

"Jewel is the Metallica of Yodelling." ~Edwin McCain
"Yes, it's a personal attack if you save my picture about internet safety" ~Labratkid
"You know what JBL? The only reason you were WWE Champion for a year was because Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays!" ~Paul Heyman, addressing the public at the "ECW: One Night Stand" PPV on Sunday, June 12, 2005
Bartman

JCF Member

Bartman is doing well so far

Dec 31, 2002, 06:59 AM
Yeah, if you had JJ2 WITHOUT JCS, the 3 levels for all the modes (fine, 4 for CTF) and the Single Player adventure wouldnt keep us entertained.

JJGBA is pretty much JJ1 and JJ2 rolled together. Terriffic animation with limited moves. In Jazz 1, he didnt have helicopter ears, nor a buttstomp.

JCF Member

dj_rigo is doing well so far

Dec 31, 2002, 03:11 PM
i hope this game gets popular, if it does maybe we'll see jazz 3d some time in some popular consoles.

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Dec 31, 2002, 05:52 PM
Jazz we have here is still Jazz. I know, the game is joking from Star Wars and other games/films ("This time it's personal", hehe) but as you know JJ is a COMEDY. Also when Epic was calling Blaster a big gun in JJ1, then what will you say about Jazz holding Big Gun weapon? This looks a bit like SBC Cannon in Serious Sam. Game is cool, funny, and I MUST SAY IT'S STILL JAZZ. Jazz isn't a headband or wristband, he's a green rabbit. You see a green rabbit? No? Then go to doctor!

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)
defalcon

JCF Member

Dec 31, 2002, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by JSZ Jazz
Jazz we have here is still Jazz. I know, the game is joking from Star Wars and other games/films ("This time it's personal", hehe) but as you know JJ is a COMEDY. Also when Epic was calling Blaster a big gun in JJ1, then what will you say about Jazz holding Big Gun weapon? This looks a bit like SBC Cannon in Serious Sam. Game is cool, funny, and I MUST SAY IT'S STILL JAZZ. Jazz isn't a headband or wristband, he's a green rabbit. You see a green rabbit? No? Then go to doctor!
I do recall Bucky O'Hare being a green rabbit. Is he Jazz? No. This new incarnation is not Jazz.

JCF Member

Dec 31, 2002, 06:15 PM
He is as much sarcastic and carrot-thinking like the old Jazz. Plus, he still is a rabbit-chick saving hero, he has guns bigger than him and action is maybe even quicker than in previous JJ's. And don't you think that turtles on Icebox3 have better AI than Jazz2 enemies? They can duck, call for help, escape from Jazz when he prepares a grenade (carrot-looking grenade, don't worry), and orange turtles can make a funny sounding warcry to make all turtles charge at you. Oh yes, I found another fact that makes Jazz Advance Jazz - tons of enemies. Got that?

|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
||
Shadows (album)
defalcon

JCF Member

Dec 31, 2002, 06:51 PM
Quote:
He is as much sarcastic and carrot-thinking like the old Jazz. Plus, he still is a rabbit-chick saving hero, he has guns bigger than him and action is maybe even quicker than in previous JJ's. And don't you think that turtles on Icebox3 have better AI than Jazz2 enemies? They can duck, call for help, escape from Jazz when he prepares a grenade (carrot-looking grenade, don't worry), and orange turtles can make a funny sounding warcry to make all turtles charge at you. Oh yes, I found another fact that makes Jazz Advance Jazz - tons of enemies. Got that?
He's hardly sarcastic imho, at least, not in the same way as before. Instead of having the "Shoot first, ask later" attitude, he's more of...a pansy. There's actually only 1 gun bigger than him really - his default blaster was built for babies or something. The action is hardly quicker than JJ1 or JJ2 - JJ1 had blisteringly fast racing through the level to beat the time-limit on turbo-mode. JJ2 had all out sugar-rushes and racing straight through enemies. JJGBA has "Ok, run slowly, jump and shoot that guy there, oh wait it's not working press the buttons again, wait for the animation to finbish to execute next move". And the AI is irrelevant. I could put a green rabbit in UT2K3 and say "oh it has a green rabbit it's Jazz and isn't it so cool the AI is 1337" they can dodge and have team-mates help and escape when you have a 'Deemer and make funny noises when you shoot them". Oh yes, if having tonnes of enemies makes Jazz Jazz, I suppose serious Sam is Jazz?

It's not that it's not a good game, quite the contrary, it is fairly good. But the fact of the matter is, it's NOT JAZZ.

JCF Member

Dec 31, 2002, 06:59 PM
I give up. This guy is an anti-GBA maniac.

|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
||
Shadows (album)
defalcon

JCF Member

Dec 31, 2002, 07:49 PM
Quote:
I give up. This guy is an anti-GBA maniac.
Not so, I think it's a rather good GBA platform game. What I DON'T think it is, is a Jazz game.

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

Jan 1, 2003, 09:02 PM
I probably won't get to play the game for a good while...but personally despite whether or not the game is any good I hope it flops. If it does badly we are more likely to get the source code for JJ2.
&lt;table width=&quot;100%&quot;&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td valign=&quot;top&quot;&gt;&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.jj2.info&quot; title=&quot;waaaait&quot; style=&quot;font-size: 14pt;font-family: Verdana;text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;penny on the train track&lt;/a&gt;
&lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/tickbot.html&quot;&gt;readme&lt;/a&gt; - &lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/quote.html&quot;&gt;quotes&lt;/a&gt; - &lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/rsg.html&quot;&gt;formats&lt;/a&gt; - are you brained? *\o/*&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td width=&quot;1%&quot; align=&quot;right&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;