Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » The Art & Fiction Forum

the sun came up with no conclusions (two photos)

JCF Veteran

FreeLance is doing well so far

May 5, 2007, 02:55 PM
the sun came up with no conclusions (two photos)

it's written all over my face
it's best to join the side that's gonna win
Doubble Dutch

JCF Member

Doubble Dutch is doing well so far

May 5, 2007, 06:21 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. Not bad at all.

nonne amicus certus in re incerta cernitur?

/)_/)
(^.^)
((")(")

JCF Member

Xobim is doing well so far

May 6, 2007, 04:10 AM
The colour of the grass in the second picture is too dark, it doesn't fit the colour of the wood IMHO.

JCF Veteran

May 6, 2007, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xobim View Post
The colour of the grass in the second picture is too dark, it doesn't fit the colour of the wood IMHO.
Would you mind clarifying what you mean by this? I'm not sure how the colour of grass would fit the colour of white, treated wood to begin with.

[edit] Unless, you're just talking about the contrasting lightness between the two (in which case, that was purposeful).

Last edited by FreeLance; May 6, 2007 at 05:10 AM.
ShadeJackrabbit ShadeJackrabbit's Avatar

JCF Member

ShadeJackrabbit is doing well so far

May 6, 2007, 05:54 AM
Actually, I think they're both quite good. (Fav's second one.)

Stop talking sense, this is an internet argument. ~Doubble Dutch

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

May 6, 2007, 07:50 AM
I'm not fond of the first. The stick isn't too flattering from that angle (I think it's too flat, since you can only see two faces) and its warm colors clash with the cool greens in the background. And too much of it's blurry.

I love the second one, though. The colors are all cooler, unifying the picture more, and the angle better shows the roundness of the stick (as well as the depth in the engravings). And I like that the grass wraps around the stick; it makes it feel more like a complete picture and less like a stick photoshopped over a a really blurry tree.

Wallpaper sizes on second one, plz D=

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

JCF Veteran

May 6, 2007, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the input, Rad.
The first picture is easily the least likely of the set - but, I decided to upload it alongside the other simply to put in some variance and add a little contrast in concept. (It's actually the second upload, they are linked in opposite because it was on my clipboard as the most recent thing I uploaded heheh)
While most of the pictures turned out with a sort of serenity, almost wabi-sabi in nature, it's contrasty, blurry, and ugly. Mostly due to using a different macros setting on my camera (i took a few like it, and a few like the other). It's there mostly as a 'may as well put up something different, too.'

The second (first upload) is probably one of my favourite photos I've taken (and seems to be liked by most people to whom it's been shown). A wallpaper size would probably be a good idea - what sort of resolutions are most people using these days? I might make a few of them.

A note on the stick - it's a walking stick used on Mt. Fuji. I never climbed the mountain, I panicked at the last second and sat it out at the half-way point up the mountain (where most American's start their ascent). I think I had more fun that way, anyway. The stick is something of a sentimental object to me, despite being almost mass-produced for every Japanese and gaijin that goes up the mountain.
What the kanji say, I have no idea.
[edit to add]apparently, after a little research, the top set is the kanji for Mt. Fuji - still no clue about the other set

JCF Member

May 6, 2007, 06:49 PM
I think 1280x1024 is good if you can do it. Either that or 1024x768. I found desktops look crisper if scaled down to 1024x768 (my resolution), and I think most people use 1024x768 or 1280x1024 these days.

JCF Veteran

May 6, 2007, 06:55 PM
well, the originals are really big because i'm using an 8mp camera so they should look all-right at higher resolutions too.
my problem is that i'm using a widescreen monitor and i'm not sure what's all common these days.
i ain't hip to the jive, y'know.

JCF Member

Xobim is doing well so far

May 7, 2007, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeLance View Post
Would you mind clarifying what you mean by this? I'm not sure how the colour of grass would fit the colour of white, treated wood to begin with.

[edit] Unless, you're just talking about the contrasting lightness between the two (in which case, that was purposeful).
The contrast between the colours. Sorry if my post was't clear about that.
I don't like the contrast of the grass with the wood in the second picture. It's too dark.

JCF Veteran

May 11, 2007, 06:03 PM
sooo, can anyone give me any suggestions on what kind of wallpaper sizes to include? i could do widescreen versions and pretty much any other resolutions. not even just people saying their size if they want it (not that you would, just clarifying) but because i'm personally interested in releasing this on devART as a wallpaper and need some ideas on what sizes to include.

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

May 11, 2007, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeLance View Post
sooo, can anyone give me any suggestions on what kind of wallpaper sizes to include? i could do widescreen versions and pretty much any other resolutions. not even just people saying their size if they want it (not that you would, just clarifying) but because i'm personally interested in releasing this on devART as a wallpaper and need some ideas on what sizes to include.
1280x1024 here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_resolutions here's sizes of everything. I'm fairly sure 1024x768 is still the most common.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

JCF Member

May 12, 2007, 09:00 AM
1280x1024 - Main Computer BG
1024x768 - In case it has trouble scaling down.
800x600 - For smaller resolutions.

Those are mine.