Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Jazz Community Cards - Draft of TT-Based Ruleset

View Poll Results: What do you think?
I like this idea, maybe even with some tweaking. 5 35.71%
I don't like this idea, but will look forward to the roleplaying ruleset. 4 28.57%
Both ideas sound like fun; can't wait to see the roleplaying ruleset. 4 28.57%
I wish for a completely new idea. 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Syntax

JCF Member

Syntax is doing well so far

Jul 28, 2002, 04:37 PM
Jazz Community Cards - Draft of TT-Based Ruleset

EDIT: Roleplaying version <- VOTE HERE NOW

Jazz Jackrabbit Card Game
(based on Triple Triad, of Final Fantasy 8 (PSX))

This is the basic ruleset, which applies to all other rulesets, unless otherwise stated.

No. of Players

2 to 4.

Objective

The object of the game is to control the majority of the cards on the playing field. You control the cards that you play onto the field, but control of the cards can change throughout the game.

Layout

The playing field is a matrix of cells, where a card can be played in each cell. Common field sizes are 3x3 (2 player only), 5x5, and 7x7. Other playing fields may have missing cells (ones you cannot play in).

Each player also has a hand. Beginning hand size is dependent on the size of the field and number of players:

- 2 players
3x3 - 7 cards
5x5 - 15 cards
7x7 - 27 cards

- 3 players
5x5 - 11 cards
7x7 - 19 cards

- 4 players
5x5 - 9 cards
7x7 - 15 cards

Limits on cards in beginning hand TBA.

Cards

Each card resembles a player from the Jazz community, and includes a brief description of them, along with game-related abilities and effects. The effect of a card in a game with the basic ruleset follows:

The card has four ordered values. These values can range from 1-9, and A (A is treated as greater than 9). Each value printed represents one side of the physical card; i.e. there is a value for the top of the card, as well as the bottom, left and right sides.

Each card may also have one or more special abilities, which can be triggered during play.

Play

On your turn, you play a card from your hand onto an empty cell in the field.

If your card's values are equal to or higher than any opposing cards adjacent, you gain control of those cards. The value used to check for control is the one that represents the side touching the opposing card.

If you gain control of more than one card in this respect (on the same turn), any one of the card's special abilities may be triggered by you (if it has any).

End of Game

Turns continue to alternate until the entire field is filled.

Tie handling with multiple players TBA.

Example of Control Switch (Capture)

The Devan card (fake) has values of 2 up, 7 down, 5 left, 4 right.

Player A plays a Devan card, then Player B plays a Devan card directly above it. The bottom of B's card touches the top of A's card, so they are checked for control. Since B's 7 (on the bottom) is greater than A's 2 (on the top), B captures A's card. B now controls both cards on the field.

Extra rulesets, which have additional rules, TBA.

About collecting cards...if the game followed rules similar to these, I would opt for not having separate collections. Instead, before you begin a game or tournament, you would select any cards you wanted to use from all of the cards available. All of the cards would be relatively equal in power, but would have unique strengths and weaknesses, chosen by the player who represents the card.

Last edited by Syntax; Jul 29, 2002 at 04:07 PM.
Flint LP

JCF Member

Flint LP is doing well so far

Jul 28, 2002, 05:51 PM
Interesting,...
But, too much details are left out, and where would anyone play?
I think that everyone should start there deck with only 1 card, theirs, and some money. With the money you can buy other cards
(obviously a 3 on all sides is cheaper than a 4 on all sides)
and when you win a match u gain this play money, which someone will have to keep track of( so no one cheats to get say: an extra 30 dollars) and when you lose a match you lose money.
Also u can trade cards with money(say, I'll give u a semi-rare AJ2F for your common Piccolo and $50.) I have some oter ideas too , but im a slow typer(one step above hunt n peck) and it would take forevar.

this seemed fitting, once again:
I AM GHENGIS KHAN!

Jazz2online owns the world!
Another Jazz 2 fan

JCF Member

Another Jazz 2 fan has disabled reputation

Jul 28, 2002, 07:32 PM
Any combo moves?

Here is an important question : When you play a card down, can it be taken be another card? (Does it work more like FF8, or FF9?)

Oh, and will the pictures on the cards be RL pictures, or JJ2 rabbits?

We need more details.

Proud to be an old-timer! Rarely active, but Jazz Jackrabbit will always be in my heart.

Check out my War Tavern story, The Life of Jason Jackrabbit! [UPDATE - yeah, it died in 2002, but it was fun!]
Current Projects: Devan's Secret Weapon - yes, I still intend to release this some day. Got a lot of really great stuff done, it's going to be awesome!

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

Jul 28, 2002, 08:27 PM
I think it'd be more entertaining to have really generic cards with suites so that you could play any other card game like (especially Euchre =P )
&lt;table width=&quot;100%&quot;&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td valign=&quot;top&quot;&gt;&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.jj2.info&quot; title=&quot;waaaait&quot; style=&quot;font-size: 14pt;font-family: Verdana;text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;penny on the train track&lt;/a&gt;
&lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/tickbot.html&quot;&gt;readme&lt;/a&gt; - &lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/quote.html&quot;&gt;quotes&lt;/a&gt; - &lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/rsg.html&quot;&gt;formats&lt;/a&gt; - are you brained? *\o/*&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td width=&quot;1%&quot; align=&quot;right&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;
Syntax

JCF Member

Jul 28, 2002, 09:16 PM
Yes, things may be left out, becuase the master plan isn't even near complete; see initial thread. Please do tell what else should be done.

Flint: Ideally, we would play online, which requires programmer's willingness to code it (You know anyone?). Rarity brings up the question of who gets dubbed the rarer card, so I am trying to stay clear of that. Also, having access to all the cards allows you to use that great strategy you came up with immediately, or lets you use that long-awaited Wakeman card that was JUST "printed".

AJ2f: Combos I planned for an extra ruleset; a ruleset overlaying the basic one (I labeled it as TBA for now).

About your important question:
Quote:
If your card's values are equal to or higher than any opposing cards adjacent, you gain control of those cards. The value used to check for control is the one that represents the side touching the opposing card.
If your card's value is less that the opposing one, nothing happens. You cannot lose control of a card on the turn it was played. That is more of an implication than a rule.

I pictured the pics as JJ2 rabbits, but who knows. I also pictured them behind the text of the card.

Spaztic: Yes, that is another option. Unfortunately, I can only see 54 players fitting into one deck, unless we had different sets of decks.

JCF Member

MoonBlazE is an asset to this forum

Jul 28, 2002, 11:30 PM
Only post the poll when *Cough* both *Cough* rulesets are posted. ;-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disguise View Post
*sings*
YOU AND ME BABY ARE NOTHING BUT MAMMALS LA LA LALAL LA LA ON THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL!!!
defalcon

JCF Member

defalcon has disabled reputation

Jul 29, 2002, 01:01 AM
w00t! I want mah own card!
Confusing rules.

JCF Member

Jul 29, 2002, 01:25 AM
It's basic voting, Syntax does evrything so complicated ;-P
1. TT
2. RP
3. New
4. Blank Vote

Now I really like RP (Role Playing) card games, so I voted 2, also all the upper populair games in real life is RP.
I don't really like the idea of TT, I don't think it gives a Jazz2 style.

Quote:
*sings*
YOU AND ME BABY ARE NOTHING BUT MAMMALS LA LA LALAL LA LA ON THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL!!!
Syntax

JCF Member

Jul 29, 2002, 09:22 AM
There will be another poll with the next ruleset.

JCF Member

KRSplat is a forum legendKRSplat is a forum legend

Jul 29, 2002, 03:39 PM
I don't like the TT idea. I'm thinking somthing like Magic: The Gathering, maybe. And 27 cards in the beginning hand is way too much, that's about half the deck or more

JCF Member

Jul 29, 2002, 03:42 PM
Then go vote for it here ;-P
http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showt...&threadid=5120
It's here you gotta vote now, the final place! :-P

Quote:
*sings*
Syntax

JCF Member

Jul 29, 2002, 04:03 PM
KRSplat: There is no deck in this version.