Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

Few questions about jcs

WvA

JCF Member

WvA is doing well so far

Mar 14, 2005, 10:56 AM
Few questions about jcs

hello i am new on this forum but some may have seen me online on tsf

I have made 3 battle levels there but i am now trying to build a single player episode. I get stuck at some points so here are my questions.

Is it possible to change (or add extra) boss music for boss fights? And is it possible to delte it that a music starts to play at a boss fight? (you must run over activate boss (becose it wont do anyting if you dont) but than the music starts to)

How do you get something from a tileset into another? I realy dont understand how to make or edit tilesets. For example i want the sky of jungle into the tileset of carrottus. I am still a little n00by so if there is a way, please explaint it from the beginning.

3. How do you put in the tweedle boss (working). When i put him in he dont work (you dont see him and the boss energie is not show)

I sure have some more questions but forget them now

Btw, my english isnt very well becose i am dutch but i am sure you all know what i try to say right?

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Mar 14, 2005, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WvA
Is it possible to change (or add extra) boss music for boss fights?
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WvA
And is it possible to delte it that a music starts to play at a boss fight? (you must run over activate boss (becose it wont do anyting if you dont) but than the music starts to)
No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WvA
How do you get something from a tileset into another? I realy dont understand how to make or edit tilesets. For example i want the sky of jungle into the tileset of carrottus. I am still a little n00by so if there is a way, please explaint it from the beginning.
http://www.tilesets.hewwo.com
WvA

JCF Member

WvA is doing well so far

Mar 14, 2005, 11:03 AM
very funny.... HOW do i change it

JCF Member

White Rabbit is doing well so far

Mar 14, 2005, 11:04 AM
1. You can only have two kinds of music for bosses: music 0 or music 1. You could change the music by removing the orignial boss music files in your JJ2 directory and replacing it with something else, but other ppl would have to do the same if they want to hear the custom music. I'm not sure what 'delte' means but I guess that you want to remove the music. Well, you can only do that by manually deleting the boss music file from your JJ2 directory (boss1.j2b and boss2.j2b.

2. Nope, I'm a tileset noob as well.
WvA

JCF Member

WvA is doing well so far

Mar 14, 2005, 11:09 AM
i couldnt find that file

Well okey thats not gona work if they have to delete it to
JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

JelZe GoldRabbit is doing well so far

Mar 14, 2005, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WvA
hello i am new on this forum but some may have seen me online on tsf

I have made 3 battle levels there but i am now trying to build a single player episode. I get stuck at some points so here are my questions.

Is it possible to change (or add extra) boss music for boss fights? And is it possible to delte it that a music starts to play at a boss fight? (you must run over activate boss (becose it wont do anyting if you dont) but than the music starts to)

3. How do you put in the tweedle boss (working). When i put him in he dont work (you dont see him and the boss energie is not show)

I sure have some more questions but forget them now

Btw, my english isnt very well becose i am dutch but i am sure you all know what i try to say right?
Hey, another dutchie on the boards, welkom! your english isn't that bad actually, I've seen worse now, for the answers:

1.) Not really, but you can work your way around it, White Rabbit explained it already, but just for the record: look for Boss1.j2b and Boss2.j2b in your Jazz2 folder. Rename them, you'll need them for backup. If you have mod2j2b handy, choose the music you'd like to hear during boss fights, and convert them (just changing the extension to .j2b is not converting). Mod2j2b can only convert modules (like .mod, .xm, .it, s3m), not mp3's or anything related to them (They're too big anyway, music can only be 2 MB tops). After that, rename the converted files to boss1.j2b or boss2.j2b and place them in your Jazz folder.

2.) Well... I know how, but doing it is really tedious and not worth the result. However, you can cheat a little using the 16-bit 3D Background. In 16-bit, the background fades to a certain color set in the level. In layer 8, go to Layer proporties and check "Texture Mode" so you switch on the 3D Background. Right below it you'll see a field with "Fade Red", "Fade Blue" and "Fade Green". The numbers you fill in those fields (0 to 255) determine the color the background fades into. I don't have the exact numbers handy right now, maybe someone else can help you out

3) The Tweedle boss is actually unfinished, as funny as it may sound. It's an incomplete leftover from the beta which didn't get deleted because of time shortage.

There you have it, if you need it in dutch, feel free to ask me

- JelZe GoldRabbit =:3

Last edited by JelZe GoldRabbit; Mar 14, 2005 at 01:06 PM.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Mar 14, 2005, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit
2.) Well... I know how, but doing it is really tedious and not worth the result. However, you can cheat a little using the 16-bit 3D Background. In 16-bit, the background fades to a certain color set in the level. In layer 8, go to Layer proporties and check "Texture Mode" so you switch on the 3D Background. Right below it you'll see a field with "Fade Red", "Fade Blue" and "Fade Green". The numbers you fill in those fields (0 to 255) determine the color the background fades into. I don't have the exact numbers handy right now, maybe someone else can help you out
This JCSref article gives some example colors and links to more.

However, if you really wanted to put the sky of one tileset into another, you'd have to make your own tileset with your own palette. Sorry. Tweedle does not work and what everyone else said about boss.j2b is true.

JCF Member

LittleFreak is doing well so far

Mar 15, 2005, 05:04 AM
Welcome and good luck with your pack.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Mar 15, 2005, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit
3) The Tweedle boss is actually unfinished, as funny as it may sound. It's an incomplete leftover from the beta which didn't get deleted because of time shortage.
It didn't get finished because of lack of time. Why would they delete something with an almost full sprite sheet? Same goes for gunless rabbit sprites...
WvA

JCF Member

WvA is doing well so far

Mar 15, 2005, 09:46 AM
also i saw on this site that devan will turn into a demon but i never saw that. Is there a way it works? (site say your game will crash)

JCF Éminence Grise

Mar 15, 2005, 08:41 PM
Devan will turn into a demon when you shoot him 200 times.
WvA

JCF Member

WvA is doing well so far

Mar 18, 2005, 03:44 AM
jaj it works

next questions: about bosses:

1. Is there a way to put well lets say, 3 bosses at the same time in a level. It is possible i know but i want to kill them all 3 before finished. If you finish 1 of the 3 you are already done and you go to next level.

2. Is there a way to kill a boss without going to next level.

3. Is it possible to put in 5 devans + devan robot without the robot boss? And how do you do it.

JCF Member

Sonyk is doing well so far

Mar 18, 2005, 03:52 AM
1. I don't think so, since every boss is hardcoded into going to the next level when finished...
2. Only if you use a boss that doesn't require an "Activate Boss" event. I think the Queen Boss is the only one that works normally without using an Activate Boss.
3. Yes to the 5 Devans, I'm not sure about the Devan Robot without the boss, but if you did, the Devan Robot boss would do nothing, since it requires both events to function properly. (And, since it just stands there anyway) The robot boss also works without the Devan, but it just floats there.

EDIT: After looking at it on my own, I've found that using the Devan Robot Boss without the robot causes most unusual side effects...
EDIT2: But what you could do, is "trap" the robot in masked tiles (more effective is place it in the center of a 3x3 square) and activate it then. The robot won't be able to move, nor will it make noise, and you'd have a Devan Boss, and 5 Devil Devan bosses. If it matters to you, you could also cover the robot using layer 3.
EDITLAST: Finally, if you use the Devil Devan boss, that Devan will be the only one that teleports, and not the Devan (Robot Boss).

Last edited by Sonyk; Mar 18, 2005 at 04:04 AM.
WvA

JCF Member

WvA is doing well so far

Mar 18, 2005, 04:06 AM
very nice tips tnx

i have tryed the queen boss, but that was the problem. I first use it without actifating it (i thoug, cant realy remember) but when i trow here of the stage and run to the next platform you get kinda warped to the beginning of the boss :S Its not realy warping its just switching screens. Very strange

JCF Member

Mar 18, 2005, 04:13 AM
That problem occurs, because the game does not registrate that the queen is killed.

She will soon be there again, and as you can't be more to the right than the queen, it will automatically "warp" you back.

The queen gets defeated once she hits a red spring, but that will also end the level.

JCF Member

Sonyk is doing well so far

Mar 18, 2005, 04:21 AM
Interesting. I've found this to work...
Code:
------------------------------------------
|
|                             
------------------------               --------
                           |         |
                           | SSS  |
                           | ____ |
Please excuse the poor ASCII skills, but that's just a basic design of a level, messes aside.

Using that, you can place the queen anywhere before the pit with S's. S's are red springs (only they work). After the Queen hits the red spring, she'll get launched up by the springs and dissappear. And all this works without the activate boss event.

One thing I did for fun once was placing the springs under a covering of layer 3, and on that layer 3, placed spikes. So, it looked like she got hit by the spikes and... yeah. I think you get it.
WvA

JCF Member

WvA is doing well so far

Mar 18, 2005, 04:58 AM
i just try it but it dont work, you still get next level :S
JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

Mar 18, 2005, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WvA
i just try it but it dont work, you still get next level :S
I'll make it easy for you: you can't create mini-bosses (bosses that don't lead to a next level) using JCS. Every boss leads to the next level, no matter what you do, as said before, it's hardcoded into the game. Trust me: had we found a way, you would have been seen it long ago

JCF Éminence Grise

Mar 18, 2005, 12:48 PM
The only known boss that can be defeated without ending the level is the queen: you just drop her down a pit and then warp (or otherwise move) at least 31 tiles away from the battle. As long as you never come within a 31 tile range of the battle, you will be able to continue the level normally.

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

Mar 18, 2005, 01:52 PM
I suppose you could also make a small arena with a boss in it and set up a system so that you warp to another area after a certain amount of time (a coin warp is probably the easiest method). So the main objective would just be to survive the boss (or bosses if you chose). Unfortunately, you would be stuck with the boss music afterwards.
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.

WvA

JCF Member

WvA is doing well so far

Mar 19, 2005, 11:26 PM
tnx for the idea's

time for next question

Can you attack enemy's when you are a frog? I tryed 2 enemy's (helmet and another) and you get hurt if you touch them with your erm.... ''attack''. Is there an enemy that you can attack while you are a frog? Will be cool for my episode

JCF Member

Mar 19, 2005, 11:37 PM
Not that I know of. The only way you can kill enemies with froggy is using sugar rush.

EDIT:

There's actually another way, but it's a bit more complicated.

You could put ammo MCEs into crates, get the crates to break somehow and the ammo coming out would kill the enemy.

I guess you don't know how to even create MCEs though (not meant as an attack), so you'd need to learn how to do that first.

JCF Veteran

Mar 20, 2005, 02:01 AM
You could lure Bubba with Frog/Bird into a death trap, say...
WvA

JCF Member

WvA is doing well so far

Mar 20, 2005, 02:43 AM
yeah but that is still not killing

next question

is there a way to become normal again without a kiss of eva when you are a frog?

JCF Member

Mar 20, 2005, 02:46 AM
Yes. There's a revert morph event, I think it's under Gameplay/Area.

I'm not exactly sure though.

JCF Member

WvA is doing well so far

Mar 20, 2005, 02:56 AM
tnx i found it

Okey new questions (yeah there are coming a lot in the feature so prepare yourself )

1. Is there a tileset where evry tile set is in. So all tile sets in 1, on this site to download somewere?

2. Is there a tile set that have some things in it to make a lighting in the background. I want to put a battle on a roof top with flashing lighting but i think it is inpossible... But maybe someone has tryed before?
JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

Mar 20, 2005, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WvA
tnx i found it

Okey new questions (yeah there are coming a lot in the feature so prepare yourself )

1. Is there a tileset where evry tile set is in. So all tile sets in 1, on this site to download somewere?

2. Is there a tile set that have some things in it to make a lighting in the background. I want to put a battle on a roof top with flashing lighting but i think it is inpossible... But maybe someone has tryed before?
1. That would be impossible to do. JCS, or rather the levels you make with it can only handle tilesets of a certain size, and animations count towards the total. For v. 1.23 the limit is 1024 tiles all together. For v. 1.24 (aka TSF) the limit is four times as large, 4096 tiles.

2. I believe some tilesets have lightning (bliksem wilde je, toch?) in them. For a battle on a roof, Bluez' Metropolis is your best bet.

JCF Member

Mar 20, 2005, 03:38 AM
1. No, like Jelze said there's not enough space for such a mega-tileset.

2. Either use the one Jelze reccommended or the tileset below:

http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/dow...p?levelID=3135

It's made for Multiplayer though, so I guess it's not easy to use. It's possible to make SP stuff with it though.

JCF Member

WaterRabbit is doing well so far

Mar 20, 2005, 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WvA
No. The tileset would be to big for JCS. JCS dosen't support giant tilesets like that.
Even though TSF JCS can have bigger tilesets it wouldn't support a tileset like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvA
Yes. There are many tilesets. I will give you a list of a few:

Medivo
Lost World (Lost World Episode)
Amazon Forest Get on the Last Dodo Habitat
Christmas pack (from www.jazz2city.com)
Zero (from www.jazz2city.com)
Odyessy (from www.jazz2online.com)
Windstorm Fortress (www.jazz2online.com)

There may be others but I don't want to start looking for them all. There are probably lots of tilesets that you can use lightning in. For more information on lightning and other JCS stuff go to http://~howtojcs.zeepost.nl/.

Tip:
Go to www.jazz2online.com and click on JCS on the top of the website there is lots of JCS stuff in there too. If you do not find answers to some of your questions on the pages then feel free to ask us questions on the JCF.

JCF Member

Mar 20, 2005, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodrabbit
Medivo
Medivo doesn't have lightning tiles, does it?

You can make "fake lightning" with it though, I think I've seen that somewhere.

JCF Member

WvA is doing well so far

Mar 20, 2005, 03:55 AM
medivo only have rain, no lightning.

JCF Member

Mar 20, 2005, 03:58 AM
I looked into the tileset, just use tile 1.79 (the pink one) and you can make an animation that looks like lightning.

JCF Member

WvA is doing well so far

Mar 20, 2005, 04:02 AM
yes that is something you can do but i meen lighting strike. Not just a flash :P

JCF Member

Mar 20, 2005, 04:03 AM
Well, use another of those tilesets then. :P

JCF Member

WvA is doing well so far

Mar 20, 2005, 04:22 AM
maybe i could use a tree :P

JCF Member

WaterRabbit is doing well so far

Mar 20, 2005, 04:26 AM
Medivo does have lightning. The closest to lightning you will get in Medivo is the pink tiles. But if you don't want to do that use those other tilesets.

JCF Member

Mar 20, 2005, 05:07 AM
A tree for lightning?

Better use another tileset. :P

JCF Member

WvA is doing well so far

Mar 20, 2005, 07:43 AM
i am now making a cool level with medivo I hope it turn out well becose it is gona be fun!

JCF Member

Mar 20, 2005, 07:47 AM
Need any beta testers? ^^

JCF Member

WvA is doing well so far

Mar 20, 2005, 08:38 AM
yes

It is going to be a episode but right now i am just making some levels and will make a story around it later. I have some idea's anyway.

But i could use some help so