Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Creating the perfect JJ1

Hellraiser

JCF Member

Hellraiser is doing well so far

Aug 30, 2004, 03:47 PM
Creating the perfect JJ1

What I'm trying to do, is create the "perfect" version of JJ1. In other words, a complete version. As you all know, there are two versions of Holiday Hare for JJ1: Holiday Hare '94 and Holiday Hare 95. Holiday Hare 95 is absent in Jazz Jackrabbit CD, the supposedly complete version of JJ1.

Because of the way Epic made the two holiday hare episodes, their files will overwrite eachother if placed in the same folder. I was wondering what alterations would need to be made in order to add Holiday Hare 95 to Jazz CD.

Off the top of my head, I can see that the levels need different filenames, and the episode will need to be altered to use the files with thier new names. The tilesets will also need to be renamed, and the levels changed to use the new tileset names. Same story for the music. I'm not sure how the Jazz1 menu system or episode files work, but I'm assuming that Jazz.exe will need to be altered to allow for the additional episode on the menu.

If anyone has done this before, or knows about how Jazz1 works, I'd appreciate some help.

JCF Veteran

Tubz is doing well so far

Aug 30, 2004, 04:39 PM
How would you distribute this. Without some peopel whining about it being illegal. i got another idea though, how about creating the perfect JJ2?

"Jewel is the Metallica of Yodelling." ~Edwin McCain
"Yes, it's a personal attack if you save my picture about internet safety" ~Labratkid
"You know what JBL? The only reason you were WWE Champion for a year was because Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays!" ~Paul Heyman, addressing the public at the "ECW: One Night Stand" PPV on Sunday, June 12, 2005
Hellraiser

JCF Member

Aug 30, 2004, 05:20 PM
I don't plan on distributing it for legal issues that I don't really care about, but that other people are really touchy about. I was basically asking for some assistance in modifying my personal copy. If I am successful, I could create a guide of sorts so that others could do the same.

It basically stems from the fact that I prefer HH 95 over HH 94, and feel like I'm missing something with HH 95 missing. Rather than just replace HH 94 with HH 95, I thought I'd go for the complete game.

As far as a "perfect JJ2" goes, I suppose that the source code would be needed to fix its flaws and loose ends. In terms of a complete JJ2, simply take TSF and insert all the episodes, levels, tilesets and music from 1.23 and Holiday Hare 98.

Again, if there's anyone that knows about what makes JJ1 tick, I'd appreciate some help.
Iam Canadian

JCF Member

Iam Canadian is doing well so far

Aug 30, 2004, 06:59 PM
I've already created a "perfect" JJ2 for my personal use. The regular levels, the shareware levels, TSF, and HH98 all in a fairly logical order.
As for the perfect JJ1, I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think you could do much with existing utilities, like JCS94. I think it would require some extensive hacking, in which case I couldn't help you, as I know next to nothing about JJ1's internal programming. Sorry.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Aug 30, 2004, 10:41 PM
Could you put a secret level sign at the start of the HH94 episode, leading directly to the first level of the HH95 episode? I don't know how tolerant JJ1 is of renaming files.

JCF Veteran

Tubz is doing well so far

Aug 31, 2004, 10:39 AM
Somehow make JJ1 link to HH95 following directly after the end movie of HH94? Like a continuous episode type thing?

"Jewel is the Metallica of Yodelling." ~Edwin McCain
"Yes, it's a personal attack if you save my picture about internet safety" ~Labratkid
"You know what JBL? The only reason you were WWE Champion for a year was because Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays!" ~Paul Heyman, addressing the public at the "ECW: One Night Stand" PPV on Sunday, June 12, 2005
Doubble Dutch

JCF Member

Doubble Dutch is doing well so far

Aug 31, 2004, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Because of the way Epic made the two holiday hare episodes, their files will overwrite eachother if placed in the same folder. I was wondering what alterations would need to be made in order to add Holiday Hare 95 to Jazz CD.
Actually, I've done this, [is it warez?] all I did was copy the HH95 files into the JazzCD directory, the menu is overwritten to allow acess to HH95.

Or are you trying to include HH94 and HH95 in one folder? Thats harder and would involve alterintg the menu file.

nonne amicus certus in re incerta cernitur?

/)_/)
(^.^)
((")(")
Hellraiser

JCF Member

Aug 31, 2004, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubble Dutch
...Or are you trying to include HH94 and HH95 in one folder? Thats harder and would involve alterintg the menu file.
That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I know that it will require some alterations of the game itself, but I was wondering if anyone knew enough about how Jazz1 works to help me out.
Doubble Dutch

JCF Member

Doubble Dutch is doing well so far

Sep 1, 2004, 04:01 AM
As far as I can tell, you'll need to edit the menu.000 file rename the levels, and probbably edit the levels so they load the renamed files. Most of my hacks end up in horribly warped menus that have fragments of the level selection screen at the begginning and vice versa.

nonne amicus certus in re incerta cernitur?

/)_/)
(^.^)
((")(")