Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Maintenance & Feedback » Site and Forum Rules, Questions & Feedback

e-mail validation

View Poll Results: Should J2Ov2 require valid e-mail addresses?
Yes 9 81.82%
No, some people can't use a valid e-mail address 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

Dec 16, 2003, 04:48 AM
e-mail validation

For J2Ov2 I was thinking to avoid all sorts of problems like invalid accounts and forgotten passwords that can't be sent because the e-mail address is not working, by requiring a valid e-mail address when you register of change your password. People could then choose not to publicize their e-mail address to J2O users.

However, people have complained in the past that such things shouldn't be compulsory, as some don't have e-mail accounts.

What do you think?

Interesting Jazz-related links:
Thread: Gameplay Theories - Thread: Make Up Your Own Gametype

Spotify.fm

Untitled

Link is doing well so far

Dec 16, 2003, 06:38 AM
I think this is a good idea. It will help stop spam and will ensure that there is a means to communicate with someone. The problem of not having an email address is present, but you could probably do manual activations for those who don't have an email address. Contacting an administrator shows that someone is committed, and is likely just as good as email validation.
There still remains that strange precipitate
Which has the quality to resist
Our oldest and most trusted catalyst.
It is a substance we cannot cremate
By temperatures known to our Laboratory.

~ E.J. Pratt

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

Dec 16, 2003, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Link
I think this is a good idea. It will help stop spam and will ensure that there is a means to communicate with someone. The problem of not having an email address is present, but you could probably do manual activations for those who don't have an email address. Contacting an administrator shows that someone is committed, and is likely just as good as email validation.
I like the idea of manual activations. How they'd work needs to be thought out still. As someone can't use both e-mail and, since his account is not activated yet (well, if you register, not the e-mail validation after changing one's e-mail address or password) it should probably use something like a mail form or report button.

I also thought it would be good to send out validation e-mails when someone changes his password or e-mail address. This because I'm all too familiar with people who forget their password and their e-mail address is invalid and we get to fix it for them. But with these validation e-mails it wouldn't disable their account but it would nag them in doHeader().

Interesting Jazz-related links:
Thread: Gameplay Theories - Thread: Make Up Your Own Gametype

Spotify.fm

Trafton

JCF Member

Trafton is an asset to this forum

Dec 16, 2003, 12:03 PM
I also think that this would be a good idea. Perhaps an initial activation should be required, but after that the email could be forget, but the original email would be left on file in case authentication was required for any purpose.

~ Traft

JCF Member

Haze is doing well so far

Dec 17, 2003, 12:52 AM
Complaints from people who don't have e-mail accounts? Oh please *points at Hotmail and various*, than have them get one. There are plenty of ways for them to acquire one, even if it were merely for usage with a single site, such as J2O.

Imho the benefits of using e-mail validation in this case far outweigh those of not using it. Not to mention all the problems you'd be avoiding.

JCF Member

Newspaz has disabled reputation

Dec 17, 2003, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze
Complaints from people who don't have e-mail accounts? Oh please *points at Hotmail and various*, than have them get one. There are plenty of ways for them to acquire one, even if it were merely for usage with a single site, such as J2O.

Imho the benefits of using e-mail validation in this case far outweigh those of not using it. Not to mention all the problems you'd be avoiding.
Well, people under 13 can't get email addresses without their parents' confirmation.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Dec 17, 2003, 07:59 AM
They perfectly can get it, the site just wants them to ask their parents. However, I am sure most of them don't ask them at all.
Trafton

JCF Member

Trafton is an asset to this forum

Dec 17, 2003, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newspaz
Well, people under 13 can't get email addresses without their parents' confirmation.
The same act that applies to these web sites applies to J2O and any site that allows communciation between users and a lot of people under 13 use. Not that this stops many people anyway. I'm sure the good outweighs the bad.

On a side note, I think that accounts already made should be immune to this, naturally.

~ Traft
Darker

Banned

Darker is doing well so far

Dec 18, 2003, 11:02 AM
All these kids under 13 are basicly computer nerds so ignore them. They know nothing!

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Dec 18, 2003, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darker
All these kids under 13 are basicly computer nerds so ignore them. They know nothing!
Basically, you don't know anything either. Kudos on spelling "know" right, though.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.
Blaze The Movie Fan

JCF Member

Blaze The Movie Fan has disabled reputation

Apr 10, 2004, 02:21 PM
Da man should then not be available to use private, but if we don't want our e-mail puplic we should also have "Hide e-mail"

JCF Member

KRSplat is a forum legendKRSplat is a forum legend

Apr 10, 2004, 05:39 PM
Revival, again.

Will J2O2 have e-mail validation, though? I never realized it didn't.

By the way, I am 12. And I have a Hotmail account. (I also have a Yahoo! account. I used to have a Lycos account when I was around 7-8, but that was while it was still legal. I remember the thread about the new law called COPPA on the JMMB...)