Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Making episode files (*.j2e)

Matteo

JCF Member

Matteo is doing well so far

Jan 23, 2003, 05:07 PM
Making episode files (*.j2e)

Just wondering, does anybody here know how to actaully create their own .j2e episode file, so if u have some darn good levels you have made, u can actually select it as an episode at the screen where it shows stuff like TSF, HH98, Flash back, Jazz in time, etc?

Thx
Trafton

JCF Member

Trafton is an asset to this forum

Jan 23, 2003, 05:09 PM
It is possible, and there is a tool to do it, but it's illegal. It is also frowned upon, since having too many episodes (10 I believe) makes JJ2 crash whenever you go into single player. I would recommend just living without the episode file.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Jan 23, 2003, 10:27 PM
It's less than ten. I think it's 8, although I should check that.

I do not like custom j2e files unless the level pack is of superb quality. I feel they are useless unless the said level pack "deserves" it. That being said, it's a relatively easy task to remove/deactivate a j2e file (you merely have to delete it or change the file extension), so jj2 crashing is not too big of an issue if you are aware of the possibilities.

Anyway, don't make a j2e file unless your level pack kicks (pancreas).

And trafton, since when was adding an episode to jj2 illegal? If you own the game you may modify it.

Visit My JJ2 Blog (HOLD YOUR HORSES I'M WORKING ON IT SHEESH)
Chiyu

JCF member

Chiyu has disabled reputation

Jan 24, 2003, 09:19 AM
Trafton thinks that EVERYTHING is illegal, it seems.

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Jan 24, 2003, 12:27 PM
As I remember, Epic gave the J2E tool only to 2 Jazz2 players, and they spread them a bit. So we could try asking Epic like they did - then it won't be illegal.

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)
Trafton

JCF Member

Trafton is an asset to this forum

Jan 24, 2003, 02:34 PM
Don't say that. It's illegal. ;P

You're right - it is eight. Sorry. I've been told the program is illegal because Epic never intended to release it to the general public, but I could be wrong. Frankly, I think if anyone wants to include a .j2e file with their pack, they should warn about it. Yes, I suppose with superb level packs it wouldn't be that bad, but I still dislike them.

JCF Member

Newspaz has disabled reputation

Jan 24, 2003, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Trafton
Don't say that. It's illegal. ;P

You're right - it is eight. Sorry. I've been told the program is illegal because Epic never intended to release it to the general public, but I could be wrong. Frankly, I think if anyone wants to include a .j2e file with their pack, they should warn about it. Yes, I suppose with superb level packs it wouldn't be that bad, but I still dislike them.
Epic doesn't own the engine. Lost Boys owns the engine. And guess who the J2E program gave it to Shadow . However, I do remember Shadow getting some message that we shouldn't spread it. But anyway, we gave it to some promising projects (Lost World episode, Tomb Rabbit2, etc) and suddenly everyone has it :-/.

Last edited by Newspaz; Jan 25, 2003 at 01:44 PM.

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

Jan 24, 2003, 03:53 PM
Except me.
<a href="/junk/tick/tickbot.html">readme</a> - <a href="/junk/tick/quote.html">quotes</a> - <a href="/junk/tick/rsg.html">formats</a> - are you brained? *\o/*</td><td width="1%" align="right"></td></tr></table>
n0

JCF Member

n0 is a forum legendn0 is a forum legendn0 is a forum legend

Jan 24, 2003, 04:00 PM
nor me.
Unciaa

JCF Member

Unciaa is doing well so far

Jan 24, 2003, 04:26 PM
Arrow

"Gave the engine"? Projects? Mwa? Someone care to enlighten the ignorant n00bs?

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Jan 24, 2003, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Unciaa
In the beginning, there was darkness...

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.
Matteo

JCF Member

Matteo is doing well so far

Jan 24, 2003, 07:32 PM
Post Legal issues

Well, i dont know the legal technicalities, but if u guys know where i should go to ask and find out (and hopefully get it) from, plz lemme know, thx

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 24, 2003, 07:34 PM
Re: Legal issues

Quote:
Originally posted by Matteo
Well, i dont know the legal technicalities, but if u guys know where i should go to ask and find out (and hopefully get it) from, plz lemme know, thx
It's more than legal issues. If someone has abou eight or more episodes, JJ2 crashes when they look at the episode list.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

JCF Member

Jan 25, 2003, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by URJazz
Packs that think they're good enough should have the file in there but under a different extension. Then, if the people who donwload it want to, they can make it an episode file. I mean, not everyone enjoys the same type of packs.
Not all players are smart enough to do this. This makes more work than seeing that there is a j2e file in zip - true.

|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

Newspaz has disabled reputation

Jan 25, 2003, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Unciaa
w00ps. Typo. I edited my post
Unciaa

JCF Member

Unciaa is doing well so far

Jan 26, 2003, 06:34 AM
Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Newspaz
And guess who the J2E program gave it to Shadow .
...this is even more confusing.

JCF Member

Jan 26, 2003, 10:54 AM
Take "the J2E program" into "( )" and you get it simple.

|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 26, 2003, 11:12 AM
What's the obsession with J2Es anyway? If you just link a bunch of levels together and hide all but the first one, you get the same thing - minus a small picture.

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

Jan 26, 2003, 12:37 PM
I have to agree with radium, there's nothing really special about j2e's, unless you want to brag about how good you are at drawing episode pictures. Use the method of hiding all but the first levels. You can do this by checking of hide in homecooked list or something like that. It helps save jj2 from crashing, and theres no big difference if you think about it.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 26, 2003, 12:41 PM
If you want a picture that badly, put it in a tileset and make it the first level.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jan 26, 2003, 12:53 PM
As I said, the point is having it be possible to play in easy/hard (for all the people who filled their home cooked levels thing ages ago). Or, when you start up JJ2 and aren't sure what you want to play, have it be there trying to catch your eye.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 26, 2003, 12:56 PM
I know that most people's level lists are full, but most people's episode lists are full too. And if you want to be ovbious, start the levelname with a ~ or ! so it appears first in alphabetic order.