Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Music conversion.

critz

JCF Member

critz is doing well so far

Nov 12, 2006, 02:07 AM
Question Music conversion.

Is there a way to convert .wav files into any format readable for JJ2? I tried ModPlug Player but it converted short 23 sec file into 3.60MB .s3m file, and Jazz2 crashed. I`m sure i`m doing something wrong, because Deadlock.xm (my fav) plays 4 min and 19 sec and it`s only 493 KB. I need to convert my GBA .wav music files into 2MB or smaller.
JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

JelZe GoldRabbit is doing well so far

Nov 12, 2006, 03:09 AM
Wav. files, MP3's and any related media will not work with JJ2 and the conversion to a suitable module type (.mod, .xm, .s3m, .it) is too hard to be worth it. That's because MP3's and Module files store the music in two different ways:

- wav's and MP3's store the sound itself, they're like recordings. Because of that, a lot of details have to be stored, and that's what makes the file so large.
- modules and MIDI's are like sheet music. They're not recordings, rather they tell the computer to play "this tone" on "this instrument" on "this spot". MIDI's and modules differ in that modules have the instruments called "samples" built into the file. The combination of sheet music and built in instruments bring the file size down considerably.

Module into MP3 is a no-brainer, but MP3 into module is... practically undoable. What ModPlug Tracker basically does is convert the .WAV into one gigantic sample: one JJ2 can't handle.

Fortunately, some artists have created their own interpretations of the music found in games, some have even managed to recreate the exact music from scratch.

- JelZe GoldRabbit =:3

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Nov 12, 2006, 12:38 PM
Do what Erik said, convert them into mods.

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

Nov 12, 2006, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik
however, GBA music is so simple it'd be probably easy to convert it to mod files(!)
A direct conversion between a GBA music file and a mod is near-impossible (unless they're using modules, which is very unlikely). It's more likely that the music is generated in real-time using the fm synthesis on the gameboy.

On the flip side, the tune is generally simple enough that someone with the relevant skills could recreate it by hand with a decent tracker and a good collection of samples.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Nov 12, 2006, 11:36 PM
Erik obviously means what you mentioned in your second paragraph

Stealth Admin

Nov 13, 2006, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Lies, I have seen cracktros with modules! Not that they would be the stuff critz'd want to convert 8)
RTFP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkell
A direct conversion between a GBA music file and a mod is near-impossible (unless they're using modules, which is very unlikely).

Stealth Admin

Nov 14, 2006, 04:42 AM
"very unlikely" != "never". RTFP.

I see no techincal reason why a gameboy (classic or advance) game could not use a module-based system. However, all the ones I've seen, especially ones written for the original gameboy, synthesize the music using (IIRC) two tone generators, a noise generator, and a 4-bit 16-sample channel that doesn't quite work for streaming.

ThunderPX

JCF Member

ThunderPX is doing well so far

Nov 14, 2006, 07:04 AM
There is actually a program to convert music from a GBA rom, but don't ask me how it works (it's in Japanese.) Also, you'd still need to re-sequence it yourself because sometimes samples aren't in tune, etc. etc. Basically the same reasons why you can't use Modplug to convert Jazz 1 songs to MIDI.

Stealth Admin

Nov 14, 2006, 11:37 AM
Quote:
NO
?

I need a bit more than just "no" to work out what you mean.

critz

JCF Member

Nov 15, 2006, 10:33 AM
It`s not working. I tried to convert music to .mod with ModPlug Player, but I`ve got only some weird noises.

JCF Member

Birdie is doing well so far

Nov 15, 2006, 02:01 PM
You probably just imported the whole song as a sample, yeah that will happen if you did it that way.

JCF Member

Nov 18, 2006, 12:44 AM
*Sigh*. Can someone explain how to convert it to .mod properly, because when it comes to music convertion I`m an idiot :P . By the way: I mean this file http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z5G4TBTP
JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

JelZe GoldRabbit is doing well so far

Nov 18, 2006, 03:12 AM
Simply put: you can't. As explained before modules use the "sheet music" principle, the music you linked to is just a recording. Ever tried mimicking a recording with just your mind? That's something MODPlug Tracker can't do.

You can't convert it, but you can reconstruct it from the ground up. All you'd need to find is the sheet music itself (or at least memorise how the melody goes) and some samples to play with.

- JelZe GoldRabbit =:3
critz

JCF Member

Nov 18, 2006, 11:11 AM
Woohoo. I`ve got t3h music from midishrine.com and converted it to .s3m with Dosbox and Finemidi. It`s not oryginal file, but it`s much better than nothing. And it works fine.