Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Ok, so how's our technology?

Cheeze

JCF Member

Cheeze has disabled reputation

Jul 28, 2004, 06:49 AM
Ok, so how's our technology?

Ok, I decided to just take a peek in here. I'm bored, had a day off work, and somehow this popped into my head. What really made me curious was what's new with all this serverlist stuff.

And, most importantly in my opinion, becasue i'm still a hacker and always will be (going to school for computer engineering), what's the status on any new programs that have been written? Anything interesting? JJ2 has always been fun to hack, so i'm just curious.

Take it easy.

-Cheeze

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

Jul 28, 2004, 09:18 AM
Well, the list servers are almost entirely community controlled now. We have the original list server program, and I'm sure that's enabled some new insight into how everything works.

I have nooo idea when the last time you looked at xjj2 was, or if you know about developements, but the version pennywise and you had started that you never finished was finished by other people. It can do a lot of the stuff you guys had been looking into, such as setting up servers directly, or getting a serverlist. I actually have the source code for the unfinished xjj2, reading your e-mails therein was fun.

In #jj2 Monobot is capable of listing the servers in the chat. That's a pretty old feature now though.

I dunno, I'm just naming off random stuff and I have no clue how new any of this is to you or in general. Did you know about jcs 94? Basically a group of people hacked the jj1 level format and created a level editting program. It's difficult to use well, but it's been accomplished.

There is another very interesting development that I discovered but I probably can't go into detail about it. It would truly only come in useful if we got the source code anyway.
<a href="/junk/tick/tickbot.html">readme</a> - <a href="/junk/tick/quote.html">quotes</a> - <a href="/junk/tick/rsg.html">formats</a> - are you brained? *\o/*</td><td width="1%" align="right"></td></tr></table>
Cheeze

JCF Member

Jul 28, 2004, 10:29 AM
All interesting stuff. Does this new version of xjj2 need jj2 at all to run a server? Like, for example, can it run a server completely independent of whether or not you have jj2? I've always thought that would be a worthwile application, because it could allow anyone to host a game, and, possibly more importantly, it could allow people running other OSes (such as unixes, which are quite a bit more stable) to run a server almsot indefinately. Another neat thing that could go along with the multiplatform server would be the ability to log absolutely everything, and possibly update a database or website of some kind to check different stats going on in the game.

-Cheeze
Bobby aka Dizzy

(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)istrator

Bobby aka Dizzy is doing well so far

Jul 28, 2004, 10:34 AM
That would be neat - but not very likely. If there was one thing I would want is for JJ2 to work primarily over TCP. JJ2 uses UDP for almost everything except text and sending levels/tilesets and this can cause problems in people not knowing they were hit or that a trigger crate was broken. However the TCP setup is very poor and when too much goes on IE chatting and sending a tileset it can easily crash the server.

So you're going for Computer Engineering in the fall? Where are you going to school?

I'm going for Computer Science (through engineering) at Cornell in the fall.
Cheeze

JCF Member

Jul 28, 2004, 11:04 AM
Oh right, i forgot completely about the UDP side. Yeah, that'd be quite a pain. Well, a while ago i was given part of the source, just some of the network stuff, but I have no idea where i put that...ah well.

I'm going to Clemson in the fall. Cornell seemed like a nice school, but i don't think i ever got the chance to visit it. I visited quite a few colleges, but I applied to Penn State, Virginia Tech, and Clemson and got accepted in all of them. I just liked Clemson the best because of the atmosphere and the warm weather.

-Cheeze
Bobby aka Dizzy

(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)istrator

Bobby aka Dizzy is doing well so far

Jul 28, 2004, 11:23 AM
If you were able to find the network stuff I'd really like to take a look at it and see what is going on.

A few of my cousins went to Clemson and I think they really enjoyed it there. A little too southern for me but oh well.

JCF Veteran

Tubz is doing well so far

Jul 28, 2004, 11:31 AM
Wow, It's been a while Cheeze. I don't eeven really remember you, but I feel like I do know you. Well I'm basically in the same thing as you. The computer field, I'm going to be majoring in Computer Information Systems. And I'm going to the private college, Wilmington College.

I have a job right now too, and basically I'm chilling.

I still need help trying to figure out how to host. Since I got a firewall problem.

"Jewel is the Metallica of Yodelling." ~Edwin McCain
"Yes, it's a personal attack if you save my picture about internet safety" ~Labratkid
"You know what JBL? The only reason you were WWE Champion for a year was because Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays!" ~Paul Heyman, addressing the public at the "ECW: One Night Stand" PPV on Sunday, June 12, 2005
Cheeze

JCF Member

Jul 28, 2004, 11:54 AM
Yeah, it is a bit....southern..but hey, at least they're friendly.

I'll take a look for the network stuff, but it was a while ago when i had it...i go through so many reformats and mishaps, that i'm not sure if it's there any more. I don't remember where i got....it's been a while.

Well, the firewall issue you'll just need to open up or redirect some ports. There's really no other way around it. You'll need something like ports 10052-10057 (maybe more, i'm not sure) for TCP and 10052 for UDP.

-Cheeze

Last edited by Cheeze; Jul 28, 2004 at 02:04 PM.

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

Jul 28, 2004, 12:03 PM
Actually 10052-10054 TCP and UDP are the only ones necessary for network play, the others are only for list server specific use.
<a href="/junk/tick/tickbot.html">readme</a> - <a href="/junk/tick/quote.html">quotes</a> - <a href="/junk/tick/rsg.html">formats</a> - are you brained? *\o/*</td><td width="1%" align="right"></td></tr></table>

JCF Veteran

Jul 29, 2004, 09:22 AM
I can't understand what I did wrong then!

"Yes, it's a personal attack if you save my picture about internet safety" ~Labratkid
"You know what JBL? The only reason you were WWE Champion for a year was because Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays!" ~Paul Heyman, addressing the public at the "ECW: One Night Stand" PPV on Sunday, June 12, 2005

Untitled

Link is doing well so far

Jul 29, 2004, 09:49 AM
You didn't do anything wrong. That's how it's supposed to be. Your router is either broken or missing some other configuration. Or you have a firewall on your computer.
There still remains that strange precipitate
Which has the quality to resist
Our oldest and most trusted catalyst.
It is a substance we cannot cremate
By temperatures known to our Laboratory.

~ E.J. Pratt

JCF Veteran

Jul 29, 2004, 11:25 AM
Well, I have MSN. Maybe I have to kill the firewall on there. I have no idea how to do that though. That's what I have been thinking for some time.

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

Jul 30, 2004, 08:52 AM
I have all of my settings configured correctly and I still cannot get anything over UDP. I think the problem is more Jazz2's old, faulty network programming. I can play games like WC3 without configuring anything perfectly.
Ice M A N

JCF Member

Ice M A N is doing well so far

Jul 30, 2004, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeze
...Well, a while ago i was given part of the source, just some of the network stuff, but I have no idea where i put that...ah well...

Hmm.. come to think of it....

JCF Veteran

Jul 30, 2004, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaztic
I have all of my settings configured correctly and I still cannot get anything over UDP. I think the problem is more Jazz2's old, faulty network programming. I can play games like WC3 without configuring anything perfectly.
I can't play games like Half Life. And in every other multiplayer game that I can play in, I can't host.

R3ptile

Banned

R3ptile is doing well so far

Jul 30, 2004, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Tublear
I can't play games like Half Life. And in every other multiplayer game that I can play in, I can't host.
The only game you really need to host servers there is JJ2. Other games have dedicated servers then you just have to pick a server and play. ;P

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jul 31, 2004, 12:08 AM
Friends, this topic is not about firewall problems.
!Tman!

JCF Member

!Tman! is doing well so far

Jul 31, 2004, 06:45 PM
Wicked

I just wanted to say that back in the days we had old epic helping us but now were all alone and im so happy we can keep this going im proud of u smart computer people

JCF Veteran

Aug 1, 2004, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl@$h
Friends, this topic is not about firewall problems.
Friends, countrymen, this topic is not about spamming either.

!Tman!

JCF Member

!Tman! is doing well so far

Aug 1, 2004, 04:23 PM
JJ your right... i love computer people thanxs

JCF Veteran

Aug 2, 2004, 07:24 AM
HAHA, no problem. I always have to counter someone.

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

Aug 2, 2004, 02:24 PM
A little more on topic:

Our technology gets a little worse everytime a certain someone joins a server and starts traftoning.
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.

JCF Veteran

Aug 3, 2004, 09:47 AM
^^^

Eh, that was a little too obvious. I guess that was intended.

Trafton

JCF Member

Trafton is an asset to this forum

Aug 3, 2004, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurredD
A little more on topic:

Our technology gets a little worse everytime a certain someone joins a server and starts traftoning.
That better be me. Because if someone is getting in on MY traftoning market...

JCF Veteran

Aug 7, 2004, 07:26 PM
^^^

No I think he was talking about TraftonAT, lol.

R3ptile

Banned

R3ptile is doing well so far

Aug 7, 2004, 11:11 PM
Trafton is Trafton AT. ;|

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Aug 8, 2004, 01:54 AM
Like if that's not spam, Tublear.