Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » The Art & Fiction Forum

Collab I did and a picture I'm selling.

Batty Buddy

JCF Member

Batty Buddy is doing well so far

May 5, 2007, 06:54 PM
Collab I did and a picture I'm selling.

Collab: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/49810801/. I drew Spaz.
4 Sale: http://www.deviantart.com/print/990666/
Buy if you want, don't buy if you don't. I don't care anymore.
No ignorant critique-less insults.
Bye.

"I must be the personification of the rage to live,
hit me, dunk me, insult me, I'll still hang in there...

...I wonder why..."
-Howard the Duck
Proud to be the 100th, 600th, 666th, and 1000th poster in the "Slime the Poster above you" thread...
Even though I had to cheat... Thank you, The Cheat.
(RIP William Hanna)
"I claim Page 4 in the name of my sexy female self."
-Radium.
ShadeJackrabbit ShadeJackrabbit's Avatar

JCF Member

ShadeJackrabbit is doing well so far

May 6, 2007, 05:56 AM
Just a note: The print looks very cartoony, and I don't think is very good cartoon quality at that. I don't think I'd buy it...

Stop talking sense, this is an internet argument. ~Doubble Dutch
n00b

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

May 6, 2007, 06:39 AM
I'd buy the print if the verminians were shaded, they really contrast with the background in a way thats unappealing with me. and if I had money.

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

May 6, 2007, 08:14 AM
I think the problem with the print is the color. I mean, sure, brown rats make sense, but since when was art about sense? Like N00b was getting at, you really need to pay more attention to how colors interact. If you have no idea where to start on this, follow these Simple, Fun, Radium-Approved StepsTM!

1.) Pick WHAT you want to contrast. What is the focus of the picture? Make this area a different hue or lightness than the rest, so people can differentiate it from the background. Make sure it still fits in enough that it looks like one, unified picture, though (pink or purple on red would work okay, but not green on red).

2.) Decide WHERE you want to draw people's eyes. Keep in mind that people's eyes are first drawn towards bright colors like yellow, then light green, then sharp things like red. On your picture that places emphasis on their helmet spikes and sunburst, then on the rodent's eyes and pants.
And decide on a "path" you want the picture to be viewed in. In this drawing, I went for a sort of "U" path down the lightning and up the gray guy's wings. After someone's eyes sweep along this path they've pretty much seen all the main parts of the picture, and the path also implies a kind of "downward force", fitting with the sword.

3.) Think about light. Light ties things together. If you have a light source, like your sunburst in the background, have it not only put shading/highlights on the characters, but also color them. Coloring with light is complex; have you ever noticed that, under a bold yellow light, things often look grayscale? Try to learn how color affects things, or, be lame like me and just go into Illustrator/Photoshop and slap a "Soft Light" layer over everything.

4.) Think about mood. Is this supposed to be happy? Scary? Ridiculous? Learn how people interpret colors. The general rule is that cold colors are more sad and scary while warm colors are more happy or passionate.

5.) Think about balance. Yesterday when I was coloring this picture (disclaimer: Risp drew it. I inked and colored it) I decided to make the straps on her sandals blue. I wasn't planning this originally, but I felt like there was too much blue at the top and not enough at the bottom. Misbalanced colors can make artwork feel "wrong" and unappealing.

Hope this helps.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

Last edited by Radium; May 6, 2007 at 08:24 AM.
Batty Buddy

JCF Member

May 6, 2007, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the good critiques. They are appreciated.
I still suck at color and shading even now after all these years. Mostly went for flat shading (The overlord in the background IS shaded, but it's a flat shaded that covers him evenly to make the ones in the foreground appear more important.) cause whenever I go for anything else, it comes out as too busy and hard on the eyes.
As for colors- I just suck at them.

...I wonder why..."
-Howard the Duck
Proud to be the 100th, 600th, 666th, and 1000th poster in the "Slime the Poster above you" thread...
(RIP William Hanna)
-Radium.

JCF Éminence Grise

Fawriel is doing well so far

May 6, 2007, 02:18 PM
The opening post was sad. Why be so defensive?
Did you do the line-art for the collaboration? It's really good! The print is also cool... but it's the colors that kind of weigh it down. Prints are large and people buy them because they're in good quality and high detail... but it lacks detail. But, yeah, Radium will do a better job explaining than me. Especially considering the ungodly hour at which I'm typing this. Shleeep...
*hugs*

JCF Veteran

FreeLance is doing well so far

May 6, 2007, 02:19 PM
Really, the only thing I dislike about the print is the background.
Also, what did you do for the collab?

[edit] even though i read the post a thousand times, i only just realise what you meant by 'i drew spaz.' duh.

Last edited by FreeLance; May 6, 2007 at 03:33 PM.

JCF Éminence Grise

May 6, 2007, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batty Buddy View Post
As for colors- I just suck at them.
*points his at above post*

It's not something you can suck at. You just need to think hard while doing them.

.. and why doesn't the thread title rhyme? D=

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

JCF Member

Birdie is doing well so far

May 6, 2007, 04:11 PM
Why didn't you begin your posts with 'Que Pasa' like you normaly do?

JCF Member

May 6, 2007, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
Why didn't you begin your posts with 'Que Pasa' like you normaly do?
I stopped feeling like my usual self while I was here. That's why I stopped coming. Too many fights, arguments and stuff like that, it seemed people stopped having a sense of humor, and the whimsical catchphrase and my usual habit of topic titles that rhyme kind of died with that. I honestly don't know if I'll go back to my old stuff cause I honestly don't know how long I'm going to hang around here.

Yes, I'm still feeling hurt from the whole argument last time I posted in the art forum... Call me a baby if you wish, but I sucked up a lot of stuff till then and that was the straw that broke the camels back.

Thing is, that collab was created because the other guy (One of my best friends on Deviantart) got into a big fight with someone else there, and talked me into the collab to give her a sort of wake-up call about being a fan of something. Ironically, you might notice that I get chewed up by one guy in th comments even though my friends the one that started the pushed for it.

On the whole, my thoughts of Jazz have changed for the worst lately. I still like the games, and Rugalb(The other guy in the collab) has been pushing me to finish some of the war tavern stories I never got around to, but on the whole, I've been feeling like I take too much crud from too many people lately. Add that to the fact that I'm having money, school, girlfriend, family, and friendship troubles, and you got a guy who doesn't feel too peppy or Emuish.

Sorry for the little emo speech there. I might get back to my happier self, but it'll probably come after the quarters out and I'm a better animator (I've been taking an animation course and following my dream.)

...I wonder why..."
-Howard the Duck
(RIP William Hanna)
-Radium.
Old May 6, 2007, 04:47 PM
Batty Buddy
This message has been deleted by Batty Buddy. Reason: misread
Coppertop

Coppertop is doing well so far

May 6, 2007, 07:27 PM
*hugs BB*

I love the collab, but my connection won't load the print. I've always been a fan of your stuff, though.

Missed you around here, btw.
Batty Buddy

JCF Member

May 6, 2007, 08:39 PM
Que Passa!!!!

Well, I guess I could try comming back a little harder...

Better then being stuck with nobody to talk to but Deviantartists... Particularly the "I don't take crits" jerks... they know who they are... (Eyes a certain girl who keeps drawing bad fanart of a certain green longeared someone...)

Well, I'll see if I can get my mojo working in the misc section.

...I wonder why..."
-Howard the Duck
(RIP William Hanna)
-Radium.

JCF Member

MoonBlazE is an asset to this forum

May 6, 2007, 09:59 PM
Quote:
I stopped feeling like my usual self while I was here. That's why I stopped coming. Too many fights, arguments and stuff like that, it seemed people stopped having a sense of humor, and the whimsical catchphrase and my usual habit of topic titles that rhyme kind of died with that. I honestly don't know if I'll go back to my old stuff cause I honestly don't know how long I'm going to hang around here.

Yes, I'm still feeling hurt from the whole argument last time I posted in the art forum... Call me a baby if you wish, but I sucked up a lot of stuff till then and that was the straw that broke the camels back.
Hah. I don't think you really know how much you did for this board and even for me. Surely, people can be grumpy but hey, some of us have our reasons. I'm not asking you to understand or pity, just to bear over with it. I know because I felt kind of guilty for picking on your catchphrase and then came the R3ptile gang with the usual "OMG!!! MOON UR SO NEGATIVE!!!!!". But that's me.

You're different. You're always incredible posetive and although your art admittely isn't the best, you never ever let that keep you from keep drawing - and improving.

If more people were like you (or Fawriel for that matter *nudges*), the world would be a better place. And I'd be lying to say otherwise. So let me tell you this, Batty Buddy, you are an awesome person, and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. You're an inspiration for people to try harder at being nicer to each other, just like when you dig for a little poety or movie references into your communication just to lighten up the conversation. I appriciate that. I think I can go ahead and say: We appriciate that.

People just often forget to tell each other how much we value each other. Perharps we should have some LOVE IS IN THE AIR forum game where you're only allowed to say nice things about the above poster, just to help the forum's attitude. =>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disguise View Post
*sings*
YOU AND ME BABY ARE NOTHING BUT MAMMALS LA LA LALAL LA LA ON THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL!!!
Doubble Dutch

JCF Member

Doubble Dutch is doing well so far

May 6, 2007, 11:27 PM
That's an awesome high-def colab, but I prefer the invasion picture because of it's simplicity, and the character's expressions, wonderful! (I'm also a rat fan.)

nonne amicus certus in re incerta cernitur?

/)_/)
(^.^)
((")(")

JCF Éminence Grise

May 7, 2007, 12:29 AM
Mooniiiiiiiiiieeeeeeee! *tacklehugs*

... I mean, I agree.

JCF Member

May 7, 2007, 06:58 AM
Que Passa!!!!

O_O... Moonie... You almost made me cry there...
Well... Like I said before, Rugalb wants me to get back to doing more war tavern stories and fanart (I'm currently drawing a pic he's paid me for of Spaz dressed like Mr. Karate from Art of Fighting.) so I'll look into sticking around and being a bit more... batty...

"REAL HOLOGRAPHIC SIMULATED EVIL LINCOLN IS BAAAAACK!!!"
-Evil Lincoln
Futurama

(Hugs all around.)

...I wonder why..."
-Howard the Duck
(RIP William Hanna)
-Radium.

JCF Éminence Grise

May 7, 2007, 09:28 AM
Moonie was Schopenhauer in a previous life.

( That's a good thing. In fact, it pretty much means the same as what he said about Batty. )

*hugs Batty*

JCF Éminence Grise

May 7, 2007, 12:55 PM
yay for moonblaze for bringing teh happy!

Batty Buddy

JCF Member

May 7, 2007, 07:40 PM
Que Passa!!!!

[20:33] rugalb98: well what's funny is that they don't give a darn about the collab
[20:35] rugalb98: they were more about pointing how bad your print was
(Sorry, I had to include this cause it made me laugh. Basically, with me- the prints made, and that's how it's going to be- so buy it if you like it, don't buy it if you don't. I draw cartoony, and that's the way it is.)

...I wonder why..."
-Howard the Duck
(RIP William Hanna)
-Radium.

JCF Éminence Grise

May 7, 2007, 11:58 PM
Statistics time!

Collaboration: Total 4
4 positive remarks

Print: Total 6
1 positive remark
4 positive remarks neutralized by criticism of more or less constructive criticism ( one of which comes from Rad which automatically makes it neutral but awesomely helpful )
1 negative remark

Science, baby!

JCF Member

Doubble Dutch is doing well so far

May 8, 2007, 04:17 AM
Is there nothing it can't do?

*Worships the green tailed professor*

nonne amicus certus in re incerta cernitur?

/)_/)
(^.^)
((")(")

JCF Member

MoonBlazE is an asset to this forum

May 8, 2007, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Que Passa!!!!

O_O... Moonie... You almost made me cry there...
Well... Like I said before, Rugalb wants me to get back to doing more war tavern stories and fanart (I'm currently drawing a pic he's paid me for of Spaz dressed like Mr. Karate from Art of Fighting.) so I'll look into sticking around and being a bit more... batty...

"REAL HOLOGRAPHIC SIMULATED EVIL LINCOLN IS BAAAAACK!!!"
-Evil Lincoln
Futurama

(Hugs all around.)
Aww, you're welcome. *hugs back*

I'm trying to get back into arts too and like yourself, did some more (although, much more) "mature works" at FA (same acc name as on DA, but be warned). We should do an art trade again though, whenever you're up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disguise View Post
*sings*
YOU AND ME BABY ARE NOTHING BUT MAMMALS LA LA LALAL LA LA ON THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL!!!
Batty Buddy

JCF Member

May 8, 2007, 02:27 PM
Que Passa!!!!

I've gotten into more mature stuff too... but most of that goes to my girlfriend(Yes, lets just say that my female self from the Radium Asked Me to Draw This thread lives on and gets lots of use in role playing with her.)... Some of it goes on DA, but you know I can't show stuff like that...

(If you look, I drew Wilma Flintsone nude on DA, and on FA, I've drawn some of my characters... ahem... in poses...)

...I wonder why..."
-Howard the Duck
(RIP William Hanna)
-Radium.