Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

Public Beta Testing: Because I'm Too Lazy to Organize Anything

Iam Canadian

JCF Member

Iam Canadian is doing well so far

Aug 7, 2004, 10:30 PM
Public Beta Testing: Because I'm Too Lazy to Organize Anything

Well, I've begun work on my single player pack, "Journey to the Centre of Carrotus", and I figured I'd enlist my favourite message board's help in betatesting. So far, I've completed one level which can be downloaded here.
I ask for and appreciate any and all feedback regarding to any aspect of the level. Feedback on the level's bugs, difficulty, plot, music, anything. It's all good. A few notes:

1. You might want to read the plot readme to understand a few text events and dialogue at the boss battle.

2. I'm not happy with the music choice for the level. If anyone can suggest something appropriate, I'd gladly take it into consideration.

3. Yes, the level is hard, but to my knowledge, every area is possible to complete without damage.

4. Thanks in advance to everyone who helps out. You'll all recieve credit in the final version!

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Aug 7, 2004, 11:54 PM
I don't remember you being on the team... wasn't it DanX's level pack? I think the trailer looked better than this, too.

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

Aug 8, 2004, 12:02 AM
Uhhh yeah, sorry about that, but the name is taken already by ;D

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Aug 8, 2004, 12:50 AM
Here are my complaints:
  • Storyline colides with Devil Dash a lot. Too much for my tastes.
  • Eyecandy is not that good as I thought. Trigger blocks looks plain ugly.
  • Rabbits are NOT rodents.
  • I got lot of green gems by killing enemies, so placing one as storyline piece is just wrong.

This level is average. I suggest texturing blue layer 8, it looks great in 16bit. Also, music don't fit as well, but I can't think of something better. Sorry.

Last edited by cooba; Aug 8, 2004 at 01:02 AM.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Aug 8, 2004, 01:53 AM
I do not believe you came up with that name yourself

JCF Member

LittleFreak is doing well so far

Aug 8, 2004, 04:57 AM
I wasn't skilled enough to complete your level, but here's my (p)review for what I've seen.

Eyecandy:
The eyecandy was nice, I like the tileset. The background looks very well, only I think layer 8 should be textured mode (fading into blue). The sprite layer eyecandy is ok, some parts look cool. I've seen no tilebugs. Probably some moths would've looked cool and I also reccomend using ambient lighting on about 75%. Probably some more layer 3 eyecandy would be good. And layers 1 and 2 could be used to mix it with layer 3, but that's probably not needed.
Overall the eyecandy is nice but could have some more improvements.
Pros: Solid eyecandy, good layers 5-7, no tilebugs I've seen.
Cons: Could use more layer 3 eyecandy and probably layers 2 and 1 as a second and third layer 3, more sprite layer eyecandy needed
Rating: 7.0

Gameplay:
The gameplay is a bit too hard I think. Very much spikes used and such stuff used. While playing I felt a bit like playing Tomb Rabbit with the difference that it's partwise nearly unfair (Tomb Rabbit was never unfair). I wasn't able to finish the level, I only made it to the second checkpoint. I like hard levels, the problem is only that the hardness of this level is too unbalanced. In Tomb Rabbit (I will make some paralells) there were mostly some easier parts after very hard parts. This level uses one hard part after another one, it's just frustrating. The difficulty should really be more balanced, otherwise the player gets frustrated and probably hits the escape key and quits.
The level uses a lot of trigger stuff which lets you run from one part to another and back and.. you know. This can be good and bad.
The ammo is good placed, a lot of different weapons, not too much, not too less. The enemies are also very well placed, but partwise unfair (you fall down a bit and have no way knowing there's a tuf below you).
There's one part where you see a shield and 3 stopwatches. A text sign tells ya that you can only get this stuff with cheating, which is not good. Never tell the player to cheat, as cheating makes all the fun go away.
Pros: Good ammo and enemy placement
Cons: Unbalanced difficulty, stuff that can only be grabbed with cheating
Rating: 6.5

Weapon / ammo placement:
The ammo placement was good, you don't get too much ammo but also not too less. I also like that you always get the weapon you don't need in a certain situation, so you have to search the ammo for later.
Pros: Balanced ammo placement, not too much, not too easy
Cons: probably too less ammo for some
Rating: 8.0

Enemy placement:
The enemy placement was good, not great tough. Sometimes they are strategically placed, sometimes not. However, the enemies all fit into the tileset and they aren't overused. In some parts the level needs some stop enemy events tough. The author added some hard mode enemies and I'm glad I played in normal mode. Overall good enemy placement, but in some parts a bit unfair.
Pros: sometimes strategically placed, no parts with overused enemies, all baddys fit to the tileset
Cons: sometimes unfair placement, no stop enemy events used
Rating: 7.0

Bugs:
I saw no bugs, so a perfect score for this one.
Pros: No bugs
Cons: FQUIST EATS LITTLE CHILDREN BAHAHA!!!!
Rating: 10

I hope this helps you, and I'm looking forward to the final pack.

JCF Member

FoxBlitzz is doing well so far

Aug 8, 2004, 09:08 AM
Yes, I've got to admit that this level is pretty hard. I only could get to the first checkpoint. At least it's not like Tomb Rabbit, where there are spikes that you can't see below you, making it super hard.

Look, it's nice having a challenge, but it is something else having too much of a challenge. I recommend you tone down the difficulty level.

And no, I am not Japanese.

[22:25] [AkuKitsune] monobot be useful
[22:25] [Monobot] Unable to comply.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Aug 8, 2004, 09:23 AM
Difficulty was pretty moderate, though I'd imagine it'd be harder if you played as Spaz. I suggest you tone down on the spikes and tone up on more interest obstacles, though.
Iam Canadian

JCF Member

Aug 8, 2004, 09:44 AM
Okay, thanks for all the feedback so far. A few comments:
1. The name. I wasn't aware the title was taken. Sorry.

2. The story. Again, wasn't aware it had been done. Exactly what parts are similar to Devil Dash?

3. The trigger blocks. Yeah, they're not the greatest, but that's all the tileset really has to offer.

4. Rabbits are not rodents. I somehow don't think a villain (not exactly a smart one either) would make sure all his insults are totally accurate before using them. He could also be using the term in another sense, as "you're as filthy as a rodent" or something like that.

5. The green gem. Yeah, I'll change that to a giant gem.

6. The spikes. True, there might be too many, but that's why it's called "Sharp Painful Object Land". I'll try to tone it down some. Don't worry, level 2, "Low Gravity Labryinth" will be much less liberal with the hurt events.
Old Aug 8, 2004, 09:52 AM
cooba
This message has been deleted by cooba.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Aug 8, 2004, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam Canadian
Exactly what parts are similar to Devil Dash?
None of them are similar, but in Devil Dash, Devan and Bubba are sort of merged with powers and stuff because of opening inferno gate or something. Here, Devan hires Bubba.
Quote:
The trigger blocks. Yeah, they're not the greatest, but that's all the tileset really has to offer.
You should've at least make them walls or one of those big trees at tileset bottom.
Iam Canadian

JCF Member

Aug 12, 2004, 08:37 PM
Update:
Okay, I've been working on toning down the difficulty of "Sharp Painful Object Land" making it a lot less, well, painful. Level 2, "Low Gravity Labryinth" is in JCS development and level 3, "Transformers: Rabbits in Disguise" (ugh, lame title yes. This level's name will probably change) is in planning.
Oh, and the episode's title is now officially "The Quake-O-Matic Quandary". I somehow doubt this name has been taken.

Last edited by Iam Canadian; Aug 13, 2004 at 06:59 PM.

JCF Member

Aug 13, 2004, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam Canadian
Update:
Okay, I've been working on toning down the difficulty of "Sharp Painful Object Land" making it a lot less, well, painful. Level 2, "Low Gravity Labryinth" is in JCS development and level 3, "Transformers: Rabbits in Disguise" (ugh, lame title yes. This level's name will probably change) is in planning.
Oh, and the episode's title is now officially "The Quake-O-Matic Quagmire". I somehow doubt this name has been taken.
Good, it's always good to see people listening to what other people say. Just a question: How many levels will your pack have?

JCF Veteran

Aug 13, 2004, 01:19 AM
I forgot to say, I disliked empty space below cliff with shield a lot. Add some ground and trees there.

Oh, can we check the updates now?

JCF Member

Sacrush is doing well so far

Aug 13, 2004, 02:32 AM
playing

I am testing it now. And will edit my post when finishing it.

Edit: OK I finished it and it`s quite ok. I will say the things I dont like and what I like about the level and story.

Story:
I think the story is quite good but change the gem like cooba said.

Gameplay:
Hmmmm... It`s quite good and a hard at first but gets easy at the second try. I like the obstacles but it isn`t really that hard because If you hit the spikes you can just run until you pass it and only cost 1 health. Those jumping mushrooms are quite fun but seen before. There is a place where you can pick 2 ways good.

OMG GTG finish later!

Last edited by Satan; Aug 13, 2004 at 02:50 AM.
Iam Canadian

JCF Member

Aug 13, 2004, 09:41 PM
The updated version of level 1 can be found here.
Again, comments, criticism, ideas, bugs, tilebugs, and music choices for the level (I'm still not satisfied with the musical choice.) A couple notes:

1. I didn't texture the background because it looks ugly in 8 bit colour, and because not much of layer 8 is visible anyway.

2. The level is dramatically easier, and is more suited for a level 1. There are a few more secrets, some nifty lighting effects and a few modified traps. Don't let your guard down...

Again, thank you to all the testers and advance thanks to those who will test.

JCF Veteran

Aug 14, 2004, 01:49 AM
I did not see changed ANYTHING despite VERY BAD MUSIC SELECTION and changing gem at end to big red one.
Iam Canadian

JCF Member

Aug 14, 2004, 09:21 AM
Umm...I changed quite a bit. And I did mention I still didn't like the music, so I'm asking for suggestions. Question, just how far did you get into the level? Because the changes don't start really appearing until past the first checkpoint.

JCF Veteran

Aug 14, 2004, 09:37 AM
I checked ENTIRE LEVEL being forced to listen to VERY VERY BAD MUSIC.

(oh yeah, the empty space I pointed out is gone)

JCF Member

Aug 14, 2004, 02:09 PM
Meh, I liked the first song WAY better, even if it was converted from a MIDI. I think I'll rename the song used in the first version to the song used in the second, so it still plays the song from the first version.

You can find loads of Module songs here:

http://www.modarchive.com/

Iam Canadian

JCF Member

Aug 15, 2004, 11:22 AM
Alright, it's clear the current music is unpopular. So I've taken another stab at it. I reuploaded the old file with new music. If you've played Kirby's Adventure or Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland, you might recognize this music. If you don't want to go to my last post, you can redownload the file here.

JCF Veteran

Aug 15, 2004, 11:29 AM
Before I played level, I made layer 8 entirely black and set the lightning to lower amount. Still, music is a bit too happy. I reccomend The Forest of Keroon as well.

JCF Member

Aug 31, 2004, 03:10 AM
Argh...never...use...game music... gaaaaah! *dies

Iam Canadian

JCF Member

Aug 31, 2004, 07:55 AM
That's the old copy you're playing. There's a newer version, but the post went kaput when J2O went down.

JCF Member

Aug 31, 2004, 09:20 AM
I wanted to check out the second version but after the h-pole (at the start) I got an access violation. Please fix that and tell me if it's ready.
Oh, and I like the music, I don't know what you guys have against it.

JCF Member

Aug 31, 2004, 10:31 AM
Access Violation? That's never happened to me while playing the level. I don't think I've done anything to the level that would entail an AV...oh, and the latest version of the level is here. http://www.geocities.com/iamcanadian002/quakebeta3.zip
I'll edit this post once the hyperlink function starts working again.

JCF Member

Sep 1, 2004, 03:55 AM
I see the level is now easier than before. It wasn't too easy, but also not too hard. Good. Also from day it's changed to night and there's a version for 8bit mode and one for 16bit which is a good idea. Also the music was changed and the new one fits well. Tough I still think the one before was better

Oh, and I didn't get an access violation this time :biggrin:

JCF Veteran

Sep 1, 2004, 08:30 AM
And of course I get no credit whatsoever.
Iam Canadian

JCF Member

Sep 1, 2004, 11:36 AM
I thought I mentioned that you gave me the idea before the server crash, Cooba, but here it is again. Thanks for the music choice and idea, Cooba!

JCF Veteran

Sep 2, 2004, 06:35 AM
That was directed to PHT, but thanks for using my advice anyway.
Iam Canadian

JCF Member

Sep 19, 2004, 01:13 PM
No, the episode's not dead, but I've mostly been working on storyline/boss levels and levels which take place past a certain point which won't be publicly tested (I gotta leave some surprises for the final release ) but here's a quick status list thus far.

"Sharp Painful Object Land": I'd say this is mostly complete. I might tinker with it a bit, but as it stands, it's done.

"Security Breach Summit": (Nope, no more Low Gravity Labryinth) This one's basically done, and I may release it for testing soon, but it's somewhat unstable and has a nasty habit of crashing. (Probably because of the fact it uses too many animations) I'm not really sure why JJ2 thinks the level uses too many animations: it's pretty tame enemy-wise, there's no boss and not all THAT many triggers. (Oh, and if it'll shed any light on the subject, it uses Disguise's "Spacey Universe" set)

"Metamorph Ruins": Due to animation errors, I split this one into two levels. The first part is basically done, but I'm just starting on the second. It also includes what I hope is an interesting boss level.

"Generic Forest Level": In the middle of construction.

Beyond this, it's mostly planning and half-finished stuff. I'll try to get a beta up soon. (Probably of Metamorph Ruins or Security Breach Summit)

JCF Veteran

Sep 20, 2004, 06:16 AM
When I saw a screenshot of level using Spacey Universe I don't want to play it anymore. --Spacey Universe

Oh yeah, you never played Blur's JJ1 CTF, right? ;p