Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

SP Pack story idea

n00b

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Aug 20, 2006, 01:58 PM
SP Pack story idea

Earlier in the year, many reviews of SP packs claimed that storylines involving Devan wanting to take over Carrotus were bad. Meanwhile, an SP pack that did not have Devan as the villain got praise for this, when really if you switched the villain with Devan, the Pack's storyline would not have changed much.

I was angered by this, and concocted a storyline that involved Devan taking over Carrotus, but was much more complex than just Devan merely being bad and the rabbits have to stop him.

The story's premise was this: Tired of being cajoled by the Queen of Carrotus for not having a "Real job", Jazz seeks to find work at some Doctor's office. The Office is a trap devised by Devan, who switches his brain (and essentially, bodies) with Jazz's. Using Jazz's body, Devan goes to Carrotus Castle causing Mayhem and freeing captured goons.

While I was able to solve the problem of playing as Devan, I could never get the other concepts down.
While Causing Mayhem concept could be done by rube goldberg-esque puzzles (something I'm not exactly adept at), the saving goons aspect is something I could never find a way to implement without it being useless or too gimmicky for it's own good. That was a bad thing since one of the first levels was centered around the entire concept of freeing goons.

Anyways, thanks to the new poll the pack idea came back into my head, and I'd like to ask how you would work the "Freeing goons" idea.

EDIT- Sonyk, do you still have the old Intro Cutscene I made a long time ago?
minmay

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

Aug 20, 2006, 02:35 PM
Trigger zone'd.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Aug 20, 2006, 03:07 PM
Maybe with a patched anims.j2a? Not ideal, of course, but you could switch Eva's and Norm Turtle's sprites or something.
minmay

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

Aug 20, 2006, 03:27 PM
No.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Aug 20, 2006, 03:32 PM
I feel like deleting that.

explain yourself already, (-)
minmay

JCF Member

Aug 20, 2006, 06:42 PM
It would severely mess up any level that tried to use either event, and I think it would be illegal.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Aug 21, 2006, 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by minmay
It would severely mess up any level that tried to use either event
Ever heard of backups?
NovaStar

JCF Member

NovaStar is doing well so far

Aug 21, 2006, 02:02 AM
It's common sense to back up anims.j2a if you're downloading a patched one and it doesn't quite work.

JCF Member

Iam Canadian is doing well so far

Aug 21, 2006, 08:49 PM
We need some way to tell JJ2 to load specific anims.j2a files upon startup. Like a launcher that would tell JJ2 to use a specific file as its anims.j2a file for that session.

I suppose you could use a tileset with enemy sprites as tiles.

JCF Veteran

Aug 22, 2006, 10:39 AM
None of the ideas actually come up with concepts that create actual gameplay.
Using tiles causes the same problem as using actual events- What the hell do I do with them now that the player has freed them?

JCF Member

Xobim is doing well so far

Aug 23, 2006, 04:11 AM
The castle should be guarded by rabbits, so some SCE turrets can take care of them...

JCF Veteran

Aug 23, 2006, 03:10 PM
That still doesn't help at all. Whats the point of freeing the goons if an NPC kills it right after?
Old Aug 23, 2006, 08:51 PM
Joshwct
This message has been deleted by FQuist. Reason: Spam

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Aug 23, 2006, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by minmay
It would severely mess up any level that tried to use either event, and I think it would be illegal.
Levelmaking is aswell though, I heard

JCF Member

NeonPSY is doing well so far

Aug 24, 2006, 06:21 AM
Bleh, Just put the Goons in a cage of sorts. DevanJazz stomps on a crate. And they all fall down a nice little pit to thier freedom. (BURROW UNDERGROUND BOYS!)

As far as enemies, The Dogs would work as guard dogs. Helmuts as guards. Bees are also a nice choce. Possibly crabs? A harder Queen Boss at the end or Say...JazzDevan makes a robot. Did somebody say Bubba? Anyways, not every enemy is a Devan goon. Or at least, they don't have to be in your story.

JCF Member

Aug 24, 2006, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b
That still doesn't help at all. Whats the point of freeing the goons if an NPC kills it right after?
Who says that they need to be killed right after they're released? Some long corridors with SCE mines lying at the entrance could solve it, as long as the player is distracted long enough, making it believe the baddies ran out of the castle.

JCF Veteran

Aug 24, 2006, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xobim
Who says that they need to be killed right after they're released? Some long corridors with SCE mines lying at the entrance could solve it, as long as the player is distracted long enough, making it believe the baddies ran out of the castle.
Actually today at school I thought of a lemmings esque scenario using the SCEs

JCF Member

Aug 25, 2006, 09:21 AM
Can you explain that a bit more, I'm not 100% sure what you're meaning.