Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

NEW FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!

JCF Member

Hybrid is doing well so far

May 14, 2005, 01:52 PM
NEW FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!

You like JJ2, yes.
You want to have less restrictions? (say yes)
You hate vbulletin, (say yes again).
Well go to Spaz Community Forums and sign up.

Spaz is superior!!!!!!!

We are currently looking for mods so pm me if you think you go what it takes and me and the other admins will see if you are worthy.

Last edited by Hybrid; May 15, 2005 at 05:41 PM.

JCF Member

White Rabbit is doing well so far

May 14, 2005, 01:55 PM
NO, JAZZ IS SUPERIOR!

Sry, I don't have time to be modding anything, anywhere.
Maybe you could try asking for ppl who aren't mods here, and then compare JCF and SCF, and see which is in a better state.

It's pretty nice, though unexpected, to see a new JJ2 forum.

JCF Member

Murderbeam is doing well so far

May 14, 2005, 02:05 PM
Jazz owns.
SO BURN
oh, could'nt control myself that time.

I Don't care about caring.
Enjoy your malware-infested computer at the price of a few annoying animated GIF smilies! - Odin

G

Banned

Odin is doing well so far

May 14, 2005, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid
You like JJ2, yes.
You want to have less restrictions? (say yes)
You hate vbulletin, (say yes again).
Well go to Spaz Community Forums and sign up.

Spaz is superior!!!!!!!

We are currently looking for mods so pm me if you think you go what it takes and me and the other admins will see if you are worthy.
The fact that you are unwilling to shell out 5 bucks a month for your own webspace shows you don't care too much.

JCF Member

May 14, 2005, 02:19 PM
Hey if you dont like it, YOU DONT HAVE TO GO THERE.

That post by Odin is an example of why I made it in the first place.

JCF Member

Black Ninja is an asset to this forumBlack Ninja is an asset to this forum

May 14, 2005, 03:32 PM
Or, there is yet another alternative. Go to the Foo Products forums and there is a nice JJ2 forum there. Or better yet, if you want to talk about JJ2, there's a wonderful place called the JCF.

JCF Éminence Grise

Fawriel is doing well so far

May 14, 2005, 03:47 PM
This will never take off, I predict.

JCF Member

Marine1969 is doing well so far

May 14, 2005, 04:26 PM
I'm a mod there, but a bunch of guys joined and they're tlaking like the kind of people I hate, and I'm worried it'll deter better people from joining.
I couldn't swear anymore, so I used different words instead which made me sound like a moron, but now I can't use non-vulger words either. <Note: Since the acronym previously here is in the filter, what was originally here constituted a filter bypass.>

Marine1969: tickbot rsg u [slept with] u
Tickbot: Monobot slept with Monobot
Monobot: What do you mean 'slept with Monobot'?

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

May 14, 2005, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler, on gay rights
exactly, my parents say that jesus will kill them b/c of what they do and they are wrong to be like that i hate them
Best argument ever.

Also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler, on meeting other members
is vacatin near nyc?

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

Banned

May 14, 2005, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine1969
I'm a mod there, but a bunch of guys joined and they're tlaking like the kind of people I hate, and I'm worried it'll deter better people from joining.
If you have the power, ban them.

Also, Rad, those quotes are awesome. I'm going to check out the forums.
Leporidae

JCF Member

Leporidae is doing well so far

May 14, 2005, 08:03 PM
I see... BAD WORDS!!!! *dun dun dun* I don't think kids should go here. plus, this fourm is NOT called Jazz comunity fourms. It's called Jazz Jackrabbit 2 comunity fourms. It's just normally called Jazz comunity fourms for short.

JCF Member

May 14, 2005, 08:18 PM
Most people are used to bad words by now. I blocked the f word if it means anything though. And it would be stupid of me if I called it the Spaz Jackrabbit 2 community forums.
Spaz Community Forums will do fine.

JCF Member

May 14, 2005, 08:54 PM
Hopefully you're wrong. Having another forum would just confuse people new to the game. Which community do you think most newcomers to JJ2 would rather be part of?

1.) A 3rd rate forum where profanity is allowed
2.) This forum

Hmm.
Iam Canadian

JCF Member

Iam Canadian is doing well so far

May 14, 2005, 10:43 PM
I don't think that ever since the JCF became the main hub for the community's message-board-going members has ANY forum derived from this one with the intents of providing the same thing with fewer restrictions gained any kind of significant following. So I say this one, as Calvin would say, "never even took off, but exploded in the hangar". It won't last long.
Plus, it's not a good sign when the first topic I click my way to includes such quotes as:

Quote:
exactly, my parents say that jesus will kill [homosexuals] b/c of what they do and they are wrong to be like that i hate them
Quote:
why dont u hate them? they are out to hurt kids and they are not what god wants, are you gay or something???
You know, hate-mongering quotes like that.

JCF Member

May 15, 2005, 01:24 AM
There was a recent problem with one of the members on SCF. He was being a total jerk and made a lot of bad posts. He is banned now, but kep an eye out for him on this forum. He goes by 'Tyler'. Don't talk to him whatever you do. He has ways of stealing your msn contacts list. I have no idea how he does it but he caused tons of problems for me. Just a warning.

DanYjel

JCF Member

DanYjel is doing well so far

May 15, 2005, 06:23 AM
Making more forums is another way how to break community. Although it's very hard, in case of SCF unreal.
+SCF is just stupid copy of JCF, and that's ungood.

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

May 15, 2005, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Hi all, here’s a list of the rules for this forum.
They really aren’t that hard to follow, seriously.

1. Don’t PA (personally attack) people.
2. Don’t post up warez.
3. Slight flaming is OK!!!!!!!! Just don’t make it a PA.
4. If you make more than 3 topics about Pokemon, you will be banned forever.
5. Try to stay on topic.
6. Have a good day
#1 is the same here
#2 is the same here
From what I've seen, the mods are quite happy to watch mild flame wars while eating popcorn (remember the Bjarni/TBM thread?), so #3 is the same here
#4 is *more* restrictive than here (or TBM would have been banned a long time ago)
#5 is the same here
#6 is not here, but there shouldn't need to be a "have a good day" rule.

I'll grant that there is a bad word censor here, but there's perfectly good reasons for it. As I think Link has said in the past, this is a family-orientated forum, and family-prientated stuff usually doesn't have lots of swearing.

Plus I have an inbuilt objection to multilating English (it's "Rules" not "Rulz"). But that's just me.

Derby: Content removal. Mild profanity may be present in the link previously given, but it should be removed from the forum posts themselves.

Last edited by Derby; May 15, 2005 at 09:46 AM.

JCF Member

May 15, 2005, 08:17 AM
The above post is awesome.

JCF Member

White Rabbit is doing well so far

May 15, 2005, 08:36 AM
The irony kills me..! HELP!

JCF Member

Sonyk is doing well so far

May 15, 2005, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leporidae
plus, this fourm is NOT called Jazz comunity fourms. It's called Jazz Jackrabbit comunity fourms. It's just normally called Jazz comunity fourms for short.
FIXOR'D
ThunderPX

JCF Member

ThunderPX is doing well so far

May 15, 2005, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leporidae
I see... BAD WORDS!!!! *dun dun dun* I don't think kids should go here. plus, this fourm is NOT called Jazz comunity fourms. It's called Jazz Jackrabbit 2 comunity fourms. It's just normally called Jazz comunity fourms for short.
Mr. Titlebar does not agree.

JCF Veteran

Tubz is doing well so far

May 15, 2005, 09:59 AM
The board is good but needs people to join!

"Jewel is the Metallica of Yodelling." ~Edwin McCain
"Yes, it's a personal attack if you save my picture about internet safety" ~Labratkid
"You know what JBL? The only reason you were WWE Champion for a year was because Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays!" ~Paul Heyman, addressing the public at the "ECW: One Night Stand" PPV on Sunday, June 12, 2005

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

May 15, 2005, 11:21 AM
I support the existence of multiple boards like this. We have in the past driven away Jazz fans because they did not like this particular board. With more places for people to go, the chances are higher that any individual person will stay, plus it will be overall easier for people to find the Jazz community.
Although this forum is a tad unprofessional.

JCF Member

May 15, 2005, 01:08 PM
We are fixing it. Its only been in existence for 3 days, so it will improve. We are adding a filter to block out intense bad words. Mild ones will be unblocked though. The rules section has been revised, so take a look and see what you think.

Nielsje

JCF Member

Nielsje is doing well so far

May 15, 2005, 02:02 PM
Maybe you could switch to a better host, without any ads and such? If this forum turns out to be a good one, I'll offer to host it.

Stealth Admin

May 15, 2005, 02:54 PM
I see the rules have been expanded already, so it's time for the next round of "BoggyB v SCF"!

Quote:
1) NO Gravedigging - Any topic that no longer appears on the main page that is revived with a useless post.
Not a rule here, but seems to be semi-enforced by rent-a-modding (as I found out when I mistakenly revived a topic with a useful post).

Quote:
2) NO Rent-A-Modding - Acting like a mod....such as: Saying someone's topic should get closed, so and so warned......telling the administration what to do...
Now that's a good rule, and I don't think we officially have it.

Quote:
3) NO Personal Attacks!
Got that here.

Quote:
4) Profanity - Is allowed as long as it is not used against someone
Now this would be an interesting one to enforce. Here's a few samples (count "thing" as profanity):
"All Jazzers are thing n00bs" (no offence to n00b, and in no way intended as a PA to you lot)
"Derby is a thing modding machine" (no offence to Derby, and in no way intended as a PA to Derby)
"The thing hard disk had a thing head crash and thing lost all my thing data!" (lots of offence to that hard disk, and intended as a PA to that disk)
Under that rule, which is allowed and which isn't? And does it make sense to have that distinction? All use of profanity is banned here, so less restrictive.

Quote:
5) Sexual discussion is allowed to a certain degree.
Fair enough, I suppose. But they lost the "family-orientated" aspect with the pervious rule. Is actually a rule here.

Quote:
6) No warez links....for legal purposes...no mp3's of mainstream music allowed.
Warez is a rule here, and so are mp3s (under the "nothing illegal" rule). Oh, and would, say, an ogg or wma of mainstream music be acceptable on that forum? Probably best to just say "nothing illegal".

Quote:
7) Trolling is discouraged.
Not an explicit rule here, but probably covered under the generic "no abuse rule" here.

Quote:
8) Double posting is not ok, but if you do it on accident or once in a while, then fine.
Oddly enough I don't think I've seen a double post here. I'm suprised that there is a rule against it over there.

Quote:
9) Inappropriate names not allowed
Yet profanity is allowed... I wonder what sort of names they're thinking could be inappropriate? Covered under "no abuse" here.

Quote:
10) Registering more than 1 nickname , not allowed as name changes will be allowed under certain circumstances, every 3 months from registration or the last name change
There goes my idea of a "sane" and a "insane" nickname pair. I should do that one of these days, and see how long it takes people to work it out. Post from multiple IPs (dialup, uni's proxy server, etc.), and just have fun. Not a rule here, but moot since name changes are now allowed.

Quote:
11) Slight flaming is OK!!!!!!!! Just don’t make it a PA.
No change. I'm conviced the admins here *enjoy* light flame wars.

Quote:
12) If you make more than 3 topics about pogaymon, you will be banned forever.
I assume they mean Pokémon. Again, no change. And a rule that looks like "I am teh mod, hear me rawr!".

Quote:
13) Last, but not least, we encourage our members to be friendly and helpful.
This looks out-of-place and more professional than the rest. It looks like something I'd expect to see on the Microsoft forums, not a small one with some "power-abuse" rules.

So, anyway, summary time. You get if it's a rule here (to the best of my knowledge, admins/mods feel free to correct me), and my personal opinion:
#1: Not a rule here. Shouldn't be a rule here.
#2: Not a rule here. Should probably be a rule here (and anyway there is a "report this post to a moderator" link, which I should hope works).
#3: Is a rule here ("nothing threatening/hateful. Should be a rule here, under something generic like "nothing intended as abusive".
#4: Is more strict here ("nothing obscene/vulgar"). Given the intended audience, this should be a rule here, probably with something like "be aware that this forum is visited by minors, and so refrain from using pofane words or talking in detail about adult subjects".
#5: Is actually a more strict rule here ("nothing sexually-orientated"). Shouldn't need to be explicitly ruled, but see my opinion for #4.
#6: Is a rule here ("nothing illegal"). Should be ruled as "nothing illegal".
#7: Not an explicit rule here. Probably should be a rule, but probably covered under "nothing hateful".
#8: Not a rule here. Shouldn't be a rule here.
#9: Not an explicit rule here, but probably covered under "nothing obscene/vulgar/threatening/hateful". Should be a rule, but shouldn't need to be explicitly stated.
#10: Not a rule here. Shouldn't be a rule, and kinda moot now name changes are allowed.
#11: Unwritten rule here. Should stay as that.
#12: Not a rule here. Should't be one - looks like power-abuse to me.
#13: Not a rule here. Shouldn't need to be one anywhere. Something like "but remember, the most important thing is to have fun" would be a good idea, but not as part of a list of rules.

Well, that's it from Radio BoggyB for tonight. But wait! Is that a disclaimer I see?

At no point do I intend to personally attack any of the members of JCF, SCF, the MiB or any other organisation/entity. This post is consisted of my opinions and as such should be assumed to be more biased than... than an extremely biased thing! I do not pretend to be a moderator or admin here, nor am I person that sets the rules (I can dream). I can choose to say what I like about the rules; the admins can choose to ignore me (or not). I wish the admin of SCF success in the forum, and hope he gets rid of the evil adverts soon. And lastly, cheese owns you. You shall submit to the cheese. Brought to you by the laptop of the BoggyB, sponsered by the Mature Cheadder Co.

Banned

May 15, 2005, 03:51 PM
++BoggyB

JCF Member

May 15, 2005, 05:53 PM
Ok, the administrators and I have updated the SCF forums. We have moved to a different host, so those huge picture ads are no longer there. Also we have changed a number of things. If you already registered on the old SCF, please click on the link so you will become a member of the new forums. We are currently looking for moderators, but we need to know a lot about you before we can give you modding power. Due to the problems on the last forum, we arent taking any chances, so we are sorry for for being warry of you.

If you don't like the forums, thats ok, we understand. We ask you however to please not discourage members from joining. Getting a community started is a hard thing to do, so please try to be helpful. If something about our forums bothers you please give us suggestions instead of just thrashing our forums.

HERE is a link to the new SCF.

JCF Member

Sonyk is doing well so far

May 15, 2005, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Getting a community started is a hard thing to do, so please try to be helpful.
See, you already have a community. What you need it to do is appeal to others, so they won't say "Oh, this is a pathetic rip off of the JCF, there's little reason for me to remain here."

JCF Veteran

Tubz is doing well so far

May 15, 2005, 06:27 PM
We have many different forums there: me, Hybrid, & Marine are the admins there. And we've been working for hours getting the new board together...um the announcement is in new member's forum and for some reason won't spread to every forum. Anyway, wer'e organized, less clutter = less spam, post count is shut down for spam and forum games, and there is extra forums such as celebrations for birthday topics and the such. Spaztic would hate that forum.

I created the rules and maybe half the forums like Forum Games...To all the haters, you're just acting like n00bs right now......ollseyes: --> Danyjel

To BoggyB, yeah if you really intrepreted the rules pretty well, you'd realize that we make our decisions based on valued judgement and common sense. Geez I think if mainstream mp3's aren't allowed, then were talking about mainstream music in general. Personally I've never listened to a .ogg file before, and mainstream music outside of mp3's is rare....wav's are rare to find, but possible.

If you know me well, then you probably know what rules I made, and which ones Hybrid added like the flaming is ok and Pokemon rule.

"Jewel is the Metallica of Yodelling." ~Edwin McCain
"Yes, it's a personal attack if you save my picture about internet safety" ~Labratkid
"You know what JBL? The only reason you were WWE Champion for a year was because Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays!" ~Paul Heyman, addressing the public at the "ECW: One Night Stand" PPV on Sunday, June 12, 2005

Last edited by Tubz; May 15, 2005 at 06:38 PM.

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

May 15, 2005, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubz
We have many different forums there: me, Hybrid, & Marine are the admins there. And we've been working for hours getting the new board together...um the announcement is in new member's forum and for some reason won't spread to every forum. Anyway, wer'e organized, less clutter = less spam, post count is shut down for spam and forum games, and there is extra forums such as celebrations for birthday topics and the such. Spaztic would hate that forum.
Incorrect. I don't mind people being recognized for their birthdays, I just don't like it cluttering up everything else. Plus at the time I was actually complaining people were creating lots of duplicate threads and it was getting out of hand. Therefore I wouldn't mind them having their own forum, it'd keep things more organized. Thanks for the presumptuous comment though, you deranged pollack
&lt;table width=&quot;100%&quot;&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td valign=&quot;top&quot;&gt;&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.jj2.info&quot; title=&quot;waaaait&quot; style=&quot;font-size: 14pt;font-family: Verdana;text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;penny on the train track&lt;/a&gt;
&lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/tickbot.html&quot;&gt;readme&lt;/a&gt; - &lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/quote.html&quot;&gt;quotes&lt;/a&gt; - &lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/rsg.html&quot;&gt;formats&lt;/a&gt; - are you brained? *\o/*&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td width=&quot;1%&quot; align=&quot;right&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;
Trafton

JCF Member

Trafton is an asset to this forum

May 15, 2005, 09:18 PM
Other than a different host and slightly different rules, is there anything to distinguish this forum? It doesn't seem like it. The forums were all basically stolen.

JCF Member

LittleFreak is doing well so far

May 16, 2005, 01:01 AM
I would join, but I disagree with the administration and rules.

A rule like "No more than 3 threads about PoGAYmon allowed!!!!" is just ridiculous.

You say PAing is forbidden, even though you indirectly insult TBM. It was a clear reference to his Pokemon threads.

I'm not saying that it was ok what TBM did, but some rules really need to be fixed.

Once the board is more professional I'll maybe join.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

May 16, 2005, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Geez I think if mainstream mp3's aren't allowed, then were talking about mainstream music in general. Personally I've never listened to a .ogg file before, and mainstream music outside of mp3's is rare....wav's are rare to find, but possible.
Excuse me if I understand you wrong, but do you imply listening to/downloading .oggs is less illegal than .mp3s?
ThunderPX

JCF Member

May 16, 2005, 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sers^^
Excuse me if I understand you wrong, but do you imply listening to/downloading .oggs is less illegal than .mp3s?
...Well, it is.

Stealth Admin

May 16, 2005, 02:52 AM
Quote:
If you don't like the forums, thats ok, we understand. We ask you however to please not discourage members from joining. Getting a community started is a hard thing to do, so please try to be helpful. If something about our forums bothers you please give us suggestions instead of just thrashing our forums
I personally probably won't join, but at the same time I don't intend to prevent anyone else from joining. It's their choice, not mine.
Some suggestions: get rid of the warez and mp3 rules, and just have a generic "nothing illegal" rule. Change the PA rule to something like "nothing abusive". You could add examples, like "NO Illegal material (e.g. warez, cracks, illegal mp3s), NO Abusive posts (e.g. personal attacks)". That'd cover your back in case someone posted something that caused the MPAA or similar to drop the hammer.

Quote:
Personally I would suggest getting rid of the "Spam Land" and "Celebrations" forums - things like birthday and holiday posts are probably best under a "General" forum. It's probably better to have less forums with more posts each than to have more forums with less posts each.

Quote:
To BoggyB, yeah if you really intrepreted the rules pretty well, you'd realize that we make our decisions based on valued judgement and common sense. Geez I think if mainstream mp3's aren't allowed, then were talking about mainstream music in general. Personally I've never listened to a .ogg file before, and mainstream music outside of mp3's is rare....wav's are rare to find, but possible.
Ac3, aac, wma are all pretty common formats. Ogg and Flac are less common but you do see them around a fair bit. Wavs are the rare ones, mainly because of size. And some places stream in real or quicktime format. that rule would probably be better as a "nothing illegal" rule, as that way you have a wider scope. I was just making a point that the rule was too specific, and technically under the forum rules I cannot be modded for posting an ogg of the latest Evanescence song (it's still illegal, and could get you (and me!) in trouble from the RIAA). That's why I'm suggesting less specific rules.

Quote:
If you know me well, then you probably know what rules I made, and which ones Hybrid added like the flaming is ok and Pokemon rule.
I still say the Pokémon rule is power abuse. But hey, it's not my forum. And that's the first forum I've seen which explicitly allows flaming - most officially have no stance on flaming.

Nitro

JCF Member

Nitro is doing well so far

May 16, 2005, 06:36 AM
it's stupid to have more than 1 forum.
but if it could be a sub forum here then it sounds good to me.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

May 16, 2005, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaThunderPX
...Well, it is.
..No, it is not.

The law forbids the copying and distributing of music without paying the author of the music, not just copying and distributing MP3 files. OGG files are just another format of music, and are as illegal as any other form of illegally distributed music.
ThunderPX

JCF Member

May 16, 2005, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sers^^
..No, it is not.

The law forbids the copying and distributing of music without paying the author of the music, not just copying and distributing MP3 files. OGG files are just another format of music, and are as illegal as any other form of illegally distributed music.
Maybe so, but "an MP3 file" is more illegal than "an OGG file", because of loads of lisence crap regarding MP3 (hence why LAME Ain't an MP3 Encoder)

Administrator

May 16, 2005, 10:19 AM
What the heck? Though the name implies it's not, the only thing LAME can do is encoding MP3's, it just has that name because GNU projects like to have confusing names I believe (the site even states it can encode MP3's). Maybe encoding MP3's with another encoder is illegal, but listening to them is not. Nor is viewing a GIF less legal than viewing a PNG, just because GIF uses a patented compression technique.