Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Hotel Jackrabbit 2

FireSworD

JCF Member

FireSworD is an asset to this forumFireSworD is an asset to this forum

Apr 13, 2007, 04:14 PM
Hotel Jackrabbit 2

The name sounds silly, doesn't it?

If I were to describe playing jj2 online, its game-play would mostly consist of 'doing nothing in levels known as hotels'. Yeah, that's jj2, doing nothing.

I've decided to write this rant, because I feel this little rabbit game's potential is being wasted in such an incredibly sad way. Since the server-list has been redirected, there are, of course, plenty of new players, and excuse my choice of words here, but these players are pretty much unskilled. You might think there would be more interesting players since the switch, but we can assume a game consisting of players doing nothing in 'hotels' would make them lose interest before they would learn more about the community. I don't care if hotels are hosted, but it's the only game-type that 90% of them seem to like trying besides tests. What's more mind boggling is that I'm describing the hotels that do not even use the concept of collecting coins. No real gameplay, nothing.

Speaking of tests, these things provide a nice challenge and a good sense of accomplishment, but boy are these some of the blandest levels I've ever seen. There is no other sense of interaction besides focusing on a few blocks! - I mean geez, I enjoy playing them sometimes, especially when they are designed well, but like hotels, players only seem to care about playing these all the time.

I wrote this post to hopefully stir some conversation on this subject. I am truly boggled as to why these levels are so interesting to them, yet they won't even touch other game-types.

Last edited by FireSworD; Oct 5, 2016 at 11:05 PM. Reason: edited for fquist

JCF Member

Dermo should make better posts

Apr 13, 2007, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSworD
Since the serverlist has been redirected, there are, ofcourse, plently of new players, and excuse my choice of words here, but theese players are pretty much nothing. You would think there would be more interesting players since the switch but we can assume a game consisting of players doing virtually nothing in 'hotels' would make them lose interest easily before they would even think of trying to learn about the true community.
YES RIGHT ON ON THAT ONE FireSworD! This is a post i can completely agree with! And yes they host hotels too much but it's something new. I mean on almost all online games you have CTF and Battle. Tests are something new though that games (like this one) don't contain and were not meant to contain.

Although hotels are boring. It's like playing bumper hogs (no shooting) on Halo. No action just driving around gets boring in 5 minutes.

Do you like Stijn? Take my poll!

Windows is not a virus. A virus is small and efficient...

Note to Stijn: how am i even getting away with this
Old Apr 13, 2007, 05:22 PM
Dermo
This message has been deleted by Dermo. Reason: Accidental double post
Yasco

JCF Member

Yasco is doing well so far

Apr 14, 2007, 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSworD View Post
Since the serverlist has been redirected, there are, ofcourse, plently of new players, and excuse my choice of words here, but theese players are pretty much nothing. You would think there would be more interesting players since the switch but we can assume a game consisting of players doing virtually nothing in 'hotels' would make them lose interest easily before they would even think of trying to learn about the true community. I personally don't care if hotels are hosted, but they seem to be the only gametype which 90% of theese pricks even seem to like trying besides tests, and that is pathetic. What's more mind boggling is that I'm describing the hotels that do not even use the concept of collecting coins, at all, no gameplay, nothing.
Yep , the problem is that most of them have never heard about J2O or JCF. And if they do know about it , then it would be the downloadpage of it(where they could download hotels). I do understand your point that it would be really interesting to have these new players involved in the community. As it would be nice if they would create clans. But not only the clanscene would improve , also normal 2v2/3v3 games could get more interesting(and easier to arrange them). I guess we should find a way to introduce them to the real Jazzjackrabbit scene ; starting from taking them to J2O & JCF.

JCF Member

DarkSonic is doing well so far

Apr 14, 2007, 02:48 AM
++FS

I agree, hotels are pretty boring, except a few ones maybe. But most are in TSF as well as some in 1.23. And tests can be fun, but I don't like them because I'm not very good at them. We need more new real Multiplayer levels, gamemodes like Treasure are underhosted while it can be fun. But Battle and CTF levels are the most popular. However, gamemodes like Flag Run and Pitfall are 'new', so people could make some levels with the 'new' gamemodes. However, not everyone has the new Carrotade yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Jarno View Post
What is Distopia

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Apr 14, 2007, 04:49 AM
Quote:
You would think there would be more interesting players since the switch but we can assume a game consisting of players doing virtually nothing in 'hotels' would make them lose interest easily before they would even think of trying to learn about the true community.
J2O and the people regularly visiting it, which I assume you mean, is not "the true community" at all. J2O may be a site where part of the JJ2 players regularly comes, there are still lots of people who play JJ2 regularly, sometimes in clans, but do not visit J2O or the JCF often. I found that sentence quite elitist.

JCF Member

Sasik is doing well so far

Apr 14, 2007, 06:25 AM
Most of the people you are talking about are around 10 years old and they just don't care about competition, they want to have fun. The reason is maybe that when they play with someone more experienced or skilled, they are called automatically 'noob' (because of their low skill) and they lose their motivation to play ctf/battle because they lose fast in this gametypes. Other problem is that it's hard to talk with these people as their lack the knowledge of english. Also I rarely see skilled players playing in public servers. So with whom the new players can play 'better' gametypes?
The group of experienced jj2 players is really exclusive. They (we?) aren’t interested in teaching new players how to play, what are the useful programs or what’s going on in the community (as tournaments etc.). If someone do this job, there will be more real players in this community.

The main reason why most people play only hotels or tests – because they can feel that they are good in them ;P And hotel/test is the easiest gametype. You don’t have to know ctf codes or have many progs (like seekerhole fix etc.) to play them.

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Apr 14, 2007, 07:31 AM
More clans than CC, VS and the newest clans should recruit lowskill players (Yes, I do mean FoR, TF, GpW and DM). I don't really care that much if there aren't more new clans, but there should be more players that are interested in playing competitive games.

Another problem is of course that good players only play private games... I'd say a CTF server instead of Battle server would make public server playing more fun for those, but then again, I'm a CTF freak.

Might have more thoughts later, need to move on to the next thread now. *submits*

JCF Member

BattleSpaz is doing well so far

Apr 14, 2007, 09:14 AM
There should be pinging server named "Get latest patches and tilesets from www.jazz2online.com!" and next to it "People like battle and CTF games. Hotels are boring.". It would work.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Apr 14, 2007, 09:19 AM
I've also met a lot of people who seemed to know about J2O but didn't feel like visiting it much for whatever reason. I doubt the problem is in the knowledge about J2O's existence.

I can understand the sentiment though. I played Q3A and UT casually for some time, but never felt like looking at the sites because I didn't have the need to get involved much. Just joining a random server every now and then was enough fun for me and I saw no need to get involved with the "community", whatever that was. I can imagine those people not visiting J2O feel the same.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 09:47 AM
R3ptile
This message has been deleted by R3ptile.

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

Apr 14, 2007, 10:36 AM
I join Stijn and Sasik in thinking there are elitist/exclusivise tendencies being expressed here. If people like hotels - why not? They are probably younger than the J2O/JCF-visiting part of the community, and if their idea of fun is such levels, I'm not sure why that should be judged. I see no need to call these people 'pricks'. Insulting them and the ways in which they have fun does not make any of them more likely to get involved. Why involve yourself with clubs that act condescendingly towards you?

Interesting Jazz-related links:
Thread: Gameplay Theories - Thread: Make Up Your Own Gametype

Spotify.fm

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

Apr 14, 2007, 10:42 AM
It IS annoying when the majority of them only host tests and hotels of the same terrible quality because instead of improving the game and the community surrounding it they're regressing it instead.

Administrator

Apr 14, 2007, 10:47 AM
I'd say, don't join those servers. Problem solved?

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

Apr 14, 2007, 10:52 AM
I don't play online anyways so I have no personal problem with this. It's just sad to see so many new people choosing to waste the potential of the game instead of improving it.

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

Apr 14, 2007, 11:12 AM
I do agree in that I'd like it too if these players would choose for methods of entertainment that are closer to mine so that there are more people to play with. But I don't think anyone is 'wasting' anything by choosing to have what games are for: fun. I actually think this is a rather nice example of the extensibility of JJ2, that it can be used for things like hotels and tests, which were probably not even thought of by the developers.

Interesting Jazz-related links:
Thread: Gameplay Theories - Thread: Make Up Your Own Gametype

Spotify.fm

FireSworD

JCF Member

Apr 14, 2007, 11:19 AM
I apologize, my post was indeed elitest. I stated I never really cared if theese players liked hotels or whatever they might host, that's their business, but at the scale at which theese things are hosted they are practically the most popular gametype and reflect greatly on what playing jj2 is like.
NovaStar

JCF Member

NovaStar is doing well so far

Apr 14, 2007, 01:48 PM
Funnily enough, I haven't seen a hotel or test level in a server for ages. I agree with Sasik on the elitism though. There aren't enough clans for them to join because most of them have a tryout score too high for their skill. Therefore they try to go it alone, eventually get discouraged and so on and so forth. And don't ask me how do I know, because I'm still in their skill range ><

JCF Member

Dreamer is doing well so far

Apr 15, 2007, 04:12 PM
I just started playing jazz jackrabbit stuff again recently and found some annoying test servers out there. I've never played on jj2 multiplayer that much and would like to expirience capture, treasure or battle with a decent number of players. This test thing gets on my nerves because it's the only thing out there I can join (everything else it kicks me off the server and says "connection timed out"), and test gets pretty old after a couple hundred times of attempting one of those "levels".

Yeah, I know, I'm a noob, but I'd really rather kick butt than trying to avoid the teleport blocks all day long.

-Dreamer

@NovaStar: Funnily?
snzspeed

JCF Member

snzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legend

Apr 15, 2007, 11:36 PM
tests and hotels are equal to TSF

JCF Member

NovaStar is doing well so far

Apr 15, 2007, 11:37 PM
@Dreamer: ...whatever.

JCF Member

White Rabbit is doing well so far

Apr 22, 2007, 06:16 AM
Hotels are fun!

But it was surprising to see the hotel get filled up incredibly fast. All I had to do was put 'hotel' in the server name, and people flocked to it. There were no other hotels online at the time, but plenty of non-hotel servers...
Nimrod

JCF Member

Nimrod has disabled reputation

Apr 22, 2007, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleSpaz View Post
There should be pinging server named "Get latest patches and tilesets from www.jazz2online.com!" and next to it "People like battle and CTF games. Hotels are boring.". It would work.

That idea was done a while ago, like a year or two ago and it was complained about a fair bit and was eventually dropped. I still do have the resources to manually insert a game entry in the list server which will stay there and always ping. But I am against the idea unless a vast majority of the community would like it done.

Though it would be easier if level makers maybe put a link in their levels, eg "Haunted House by So and So. Download this and other levels at jazz2online.com" Word of mouth by JJ2 players playing is the easist and best bet, Jazz2online has tons of content so most JJ2 players will be back once they have visited.

JCF Member

Apr 22, 2007, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
That idea was done a while ago, like a year or two ago and it was complained about a fair bit and was eventually dropped. I still do have the resources to manually insert a game entry in the list server which will stay there and always ping.
Why did people complain?
Nimrod

JCF Member

Nimrod has disabled reputation

Apr 22, 2007, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post
Why did people complain?
Apprantly it was annoying, always there and pinging. Oh and apprantly I was overstepping my mark as a List Server Admin.

JCF Member

Apr 22, 2007, 01:11 PM
'THIS LEVEL IS NOT GOOD IDIOTS'
Firesword then got banned by the host in the ensuing hilarity.

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Apr 22, 2007, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post
[...] All I had to do was put 'hotel' in the server name, and people flocked to it. There were no other hotels online at the time, but plenty of non-hotel servers...
Well, the F9-list is rather clear about the all noobs thing

JCF Member

Apr 23, 2007, 03:23 PM
The solution to this problem is simply to beat them at their own game and make our own 'hotels'.

It's fun actually.

JCF Member

Birdie is doing well so far

Apr 23, 2007, 04:00 PM
I think that would just encourage them as it would show them hotels can be better, and they would want to be in charge of one. Of course the outcome of their hotels would still be the same though

JCF Member

Murderbeam is doing well so far

Apr 23, 2007, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
I think that would just encourage them as it would show them hotels can be better, and they would want to be in charge of one. Of course the outcome of their hotels would still be the same though
That last part is "Newbist"

All they need to do is learn.

I Don't care about caring.
Enjoy your malware-infested computer at the price of a few annoying animated GIF smilies! - Odin

G
FireSworD

JCF Member

Apr 23, 2007, 05:27 PM
Well it's worth a try, and I'd rather have good hotels than the ones that have no gameplay anyway. Probably ones designed specifically to urge them on other more serious gametypes.

And no, you don't understand murderbeam, once newbies are introduced to theese type hotels they will become accustomed to them at the point which they will not like playing anything other than them. My suggestion helps even theese type of players.
Sucer

JCF Member

Sucer is doing well so far

Apr 23, 2007, 09:33 PM
Hotels should be banned with the exeption of battle or CTF levels made with a hotel tileset.
Many new players might think that hotels=jj2 and therefore jj2=pure (-). This is very bad for the development of the community. If in the future we want to see a WC which has more than four clans, we should start fighting for the next generation.
Special thanks to FireSword who realized this "problem" and has already taken action by hosting battle and CTF stuff for the newcomers. Many of the newcomers might notice that jj2 is a gr8 game afterall after playing some real games, not just stupid hotels.

I hope we'll get many new players:P

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Apr 23, 2007, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Well it's worth a try, and I'd rather have good hotels than the ones that have no gameplay anyway. Probably ones designed specifically to urge them on other more serious gametypes.
I was able to keep a straight face for this thread up until "more serious gametypes."

JCF Member

Apr 23, 2007, 10:25 PM
And I suppose you have superior opinion you'd like to tell?

Otherwise that comment means nothing to me without anything to back it up.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Apr 23, 2007, 10:36 PM
Quote:
The solution to this problem is simply to beat them at their own game and make our own 'hotels'.

It's fun actually.
http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=7061

Fun while it lasted... for everyone but the host, at least.
Sucer

JCF Member

Sucer is doing well so far

Apr 23, 2007, 10:42 PM
[QUOTE=EvilMike;402297]http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=7061
QUOTE]

You made a hotel? Well nvm

... I will begin my quest to fight the cancer of jj2. I will not rest until I've gathered at least three hotel people and made them real jj2 players..

JCF Member

Apr 23, 2007, 10:54 PM
Hahaha yeah, that hotel was great. I remember mike closed early once because too many players were demanding access to the store.

Great times...

By the way, I have no intent of killing off hotels indefinitely as some of you misinterperet me. I started this topic to rid of an absoloutely real problem, and if you are an active player like me, you will see it as well. You can choose to ignore the problem or try to fix it. This is not about strong opinions, this is solid fact.

Administrator

Apr 24, 2007, 12:51 AM
Quote:
And I suppose you have superior opinion you'd like to tell?
What's the problem here? It's pretty obvious that you consider your opinion that hotels are an inferior gametype superior too.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Apr 24, 2007, 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucer View Post
I will begin my quest to fight the cancer of jj2. I will not rest until I've gathered at least three hotel people and made them real jj2 players..
Have fun doing what P4ul had been doing since June until November.

Plus, the only ones who became "converted" are Maximus and Slayer.

JCF Member

Michael is doing well so far

Apr 24, 2007, 06:47 PM
I agree with FS.
I also hate the test levels, period.

Tests are a stupid (and unfortunatly also addictive) waste of time, they give you nothing more than a little bit a sense of accomplishment (that also comes on the price of wasting a few minutes of your life pointlessly), and they give you unneeded coordination that you don't use later in battle levels or anything.
Makes me really sad...
FireSworD

JCF Member

Apr 25, 2007, 05:33 PM
Lately I've been seeing progress. There are considerably less gameplayless hotels being hosted and more battle. My only suggestion now is the active players here reading this post should put more effort into hosting other gametypes such as assault and assassination to name a couple as those are somewhat exclusive to JDC or other events. If they complain by asking "test or hotel plz" just ignore it.

JCF Member

Joizy is doing well so far

May 16, 2007, 09:01 AM
Ooooww No I can't stand that peaple are hating hotels! I LOVE them ^^... And NO I'm no newbie who said that. I was playing Jazz 2 years ago. But time changed, I can't go on servers anymore and also can't host, so HOST THEM MORE, MORE, MORE... I'ts a good community for all. You'll teatch how to buy stuff and what you more want: a backgrond of a badroom or stuff... so think big about it ^^...
Btw: Does someone have the corectly size of a tileset (in paint) and that black-white stuff? Mail it to me: foksiegirl@hotmail.com