Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Maintenance & Feedback » Site and Forum Rules, Questions & Feedback

How can we get this place more popular?

Blaze The Movie Fan

JCF Member

Blaze The Movie Fan has disabled reputation

Feb 3, 2005, 01:43 AM
How can we get this place more popular?

This place isn't very popular, sometimes are only 2 people online on both the forums and JCF, sometimes no one and sometimes only 1. How can we get this place more popular? Is there any way?

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Feb 3, 2005, 02:18 AM
Maybe they don't come here because there are certain persons around.
JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

JelZe GoldRabbit is doing well so far

Feb 3, 2005, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sers^^
Maybe they don't come here because there are certain persons around.
Now that's just plain mean, sers^^....

If you want obvious answers, I'll give you them:
- Jazz 2 is... *gets suspicious looks from everyone*... alive but barely kicking, hardly any people are playing it.
- New players of Jazz 2 can't either play online and assume it's... you know >.> (list servers changed at least two times) or can't figure out the way to Jazz2Online (Hello people, use Google for once!)
- We never get Jazz related news from Epic or any other company to talk about (see above). We only get community news, and even that's seldom.

Let's face it, we're pretty isolated.

- JelZe GoldRabbit =:3

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Feb 3, 2005, 02:37 AM
But I was serious. I am not trying to insult anyone, but if I came here for the first time and I saw threads like "Let's make the FBI administrator!" I would think twice before coming here regularly.
JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

Feb 3, 2005, 02:57 AM
Yeah, I'm sure most newcomers would think: Hey, a (insert bad name here) posted a (insert same name, only as an adjective) topic. If there's one (same name) they're all (can you guess?). Forget it, I'm gonna find myself a normal Message Board, where there are no (getting tired yet?).

Ok seriously now, let's not digress so soon

My point is it's not necessarily the persons (emphasis on persons), it's the game itself. I know it's not... you know, but it's barely alive for reasons mentioned in my previous post. And we can't exactly do anything about it, except begging Epic Games to make all Jazz Jackrabbit games freeware and have them advertise it. And pigs fly

P.S. I'm not trying to insult anyone here, I was just making (fun of) a general statement.

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

Feb 3, 2005, 04:24 AM
Before you say this place is not popular, think about how many posts we get a day. I'd hazard guess that the JCF regularly gets 50 or so posts a day, which is a fair bit more than some other forums. Plus there appears to be a solid core of regular posters who are unlikely to abandon the site any time soon. I would't say that JCF is unpopular, as that implies that people are deliberately ignoring the site. Rather, I'd say that it has a solid niche on the internet. People are still playing JJ2, and organising meets and tournaments.

Anyway, just because only 1 or 2 people appear to be online doesn't make a site unpopular. People *do* sleep and *do* visit other sites. JCF/J2O is not the centre of the universe, you know.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Feb 3, 2005, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit
We only get community news, and even that's seldom.
If you call community news "seldom", then I don't think what's wrong with you, JelZe GoldRabbit. Yes, JelZe GoldRabbit, community news are posted oftenly and you deal with it, JelZe GoldRabbit. And yes, JelZe GoldRabbit, I'm using your full name because you did so with Flash's, JelZe GoldRabbit.

Administrator

Feb 3, 2005, 05:07 AM
I do not care if he uses my full name because it's pretty short, Cooba.
JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

Feb 3, 2005, 05:21 AM
Let's not get personal and turn this into a flame war, ok Cooba? It's about the JCF not being popular, not about me repeating names over and over (the whole "insert bad name" thing was only done as a joke and wasn't directed at Flash/sers^^, take a hint).

Anyway, the JCF isn't that popular, at least not compared to like the Boards of more popular and newer games (AFAIK), and I think that's what TBM meant. Any suggestions on how to make it more popular (no "free JJ2" thing, please).

Xion

JCF Veteran

Xion is doing well so far

Feb 3, 2005, 06:13 AM
Haven't been on for a while, and with absolute good reason.

I have been disgusted with the state of the boards, specifically within the administration. I think the reason why the boards are dying is that in some people's "fun" they are detouring people away from the boards. Such as my case.

I feel that within my years of being on the board I have pretty much created an enemy in 95% of the people on the board for one reason or another, sometimes for "because so-and-so doesn't like you" reasons. I was shocked when an entire board pretty much stabbed me in the back just because I insulted their favorite website. Pretty petty, don't you think?

I don't think any one person is to blame for why the board is not very popular...but I think that a good portion of the board, all conglomerated together, is to blame for the unpopularity of the board.

JCF Member

LittleFreak is doing well so far

Feb 3, 2005, 08:35 AM
The JCF *is* popular imo. Like (I think) Jelze said, we get about 50 posts the day, which is enough for me at least. However, there are some problems, because some people here don't really care about others, start flame wars, and do all that nasty stuff.

JCF Veteran

Tubz is doing well so far

Feb 3, 2005, 10:55 AM
Eh huh, Xion, I forgot that. But blah you already know that you can't include me in either of those statistics...

"Jewel is the Metallica of Yodelling." ~Edwin McCain
"Yes, it's a personal attack if you save my picture about internet safety" ~Labratkid
"You know what JBL? The only reason you were WWE Champion for a year was because Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays!" ~Paul Heyman, addressing the public at the "ECW: One Night Stand" PPV on Sunday, June 12, 2005
NeonPSY

JCF Member

NeonPSY is doing well so far

Feb 3, 2005, 01:28 PM
People have lives you know, It's not like we can sit at a computer our whole lives. School? Jobs? Ever heard of em? Maybe they are playing a different game? Just check here in the summer, lots more people.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Feb 3, 2005, 01:34 PM
J2O and the JCF are not as popular as they could be because people don't know about them. If you do a quick search, you'll find lots of topics where someone mentions Jazz Jackrabbit - usually in the context of "anyone remember" - and lots of people express their nostalgia, assuming Jazz is dead. We - or the majority of us, although I can count myself among those who migrated from the JMMB - got here because we care enough about Jazz to find J2O. But there are more people out there who have never heard of J2O. We need to put more effort into advertising. I try, but I can only do so much - Baggers is one example.
I was talking with Fquist about this a while back, and we never actually got anything done, but one suggestion is to advertise Jazz and J2O wherever you go. My standard signature consists of links to J2O, Haze's Hideout (demo section) and JCF, more or less depending on the maximum lengths of the forums. My standard avatar is this:

And I use it everywhere except obviously here. These are not hard to do, but they can make a difference, and I know I've caused at least one person to buy JJ2 and investigate the community.
In summary, you can't just expect J2O. JCF and Jazz to become more popular on their own. Go out and find people and change the world.

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

Feb 4, 2005, 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion
I was shocked when an entire board pretty much stabbed me in the back just because I insulted their favorite website. Pretty petty, don't you think?
That's a very Conker-esque ideology, assuming people punish you for completely unrelated purposes than the idea that you yourself might have actually done something wrong. You've improved a lot from how you used to act, but if you're still engrossed with that then you need to do some serious retrospective investigation.

Quote:
I don't think any one person is to blame for why the board is not very popular...but I think that a good portion of the board, all conglomerated together, is to blame for the unpopularity of the board.
Yes, but not the group (I assume) you're referencing. For a number of months there has been a major flux in posts from a small group of members and a lack of posts of the older majority. It was that older majority that made the board appealing to new people, but unfortunately the quality of posts coming from these people is driving the core away.

I used to advertise jj2 and its fan sites but there simply isn't much worthwhile that will attract people. And, once again, I say the only way this is solveable is if we got the source code. What are the chances of that, though?
<a href="/junk/tick/tickbot.html">readme</a> - <a href="/junk/tick/quote.html">quotes</a> - <a href="/junk/tick/rsg.html">formats</a> - are you brained? *\o/*</td><td width="1%" align="right"></td></tr></table>

Last edited by Tik; Feb 4, 2005 at 04:50 AM.
The SlaYeR

JCF Member

The SlaYeR is doing well so far

Feb 4, 2005, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Haven't been on for a while, and with absolute good reason.

I have been disgusted with the state of the boards, specifically within the administration. I think the reason why the boards are dying is that in some people's "fun" they are detouring people away from the boards. Such as my case.

I feel that within my years of being on the board I have pretty much created an enemy in 95% of the people on the board for one reason or another, sometimes for "because so-and-so doesn't like you" reasons. I was shocked when an entire board pretty much stabbed me in the back just because I insulted their favorite website. Pretty petty, don't you think?

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

Feb 4, 2005, 08:48 AM
I also don't know what the administration has to do with it. Perhaps you can explain. I certainly haven't taken part in any backstabbing that has occured, nor have I really seen any. I might have paid too little attention.

About the activity, maybe people need to organise more things
The J2O/JCF admins shouldn't be in charge of everything. Not just because it is too much work for them to organise everything, even the bash, but also because monopolies stiffle innovation.

Interesting Jazz-related links:
Thread: Gameplay Theories - Thread: Make Up Your Own Gametype

Spotify.fm

Xion

JCF Veteran

Feb 5, 2005, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fquist
I also don't know what the administration has to do with it. Perhaps you can explain. I certainly haven't taken part in any backstabbing that has occured, nor have I really seen any. I might have paid too little attention.

About the activity, maybe people need to organise more things
The J2O/JCF admins shouldn't be in charge of everything. Not just because it is too much work for them to organise everything, even the bash, but also because monopolies stiffle innovation.
Well, for one, you've got Janneman who was the one that initated it...and there's plenty of the lesser, but more influential peons of the board that were in on it...

You weren't there when it happened in #jj2, so you don't know.

Content edit; please do not bypass the filter. -Bobby

Banned

Odin is doing well so far

Feb 5, 2005, 08:56 AM
Actually, #jj2 is still a pretty good place. Just because no one likes you there doesn't mean it's bad.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Feb 6, 2005, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rabbit
J2O and the JCF are not as popular as they could be because people don't know about them. If you do a quick search, you'll find lots of topics where someone mentions Jazz Jackrabbit - usually in the context of "anyone remember" - and lots of people express their nostalgia, assuming Jazz is dead. We - or the majority of us, although I can count myself among those who migrated from the JMMB - got here because we care enough about Jazz to find J2O. But there are more people out there who have never heard of J2O. We need to put more effort into advertising. I try, but I can only do so much - Baggers is one example.
I was talking with Fquist about this a while back, and we never actually got anything done, but one suggestion is to advertise Jazz and J2O wherever you go. My standard signature consists of links to J2O, Haze's Hideout (demo section) and JCF, more or less depending on the maximum lengths of the forums. My standard avatar is this:

And I use it everywhere except obviously here. These are not hard to do, but they can make a difference, and I know I've caused at least one person to buy JJ2 and investigate the community.
In summary, you can't just expect J2O. JCF and Jazz to become more popular on their own. Go out and find people and change the world.
Good option, i have many other friends at many other community's, i may can try to invite them to here, but i know most of them don't know Jazz Jackrabbit...
But i still can try the way you do, using a Jazz Jackrabbit avatar and let people get interest.

JCF Veteran

Feb 6, 2005, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin
Actually, #jj2 is still a pretty good place. Just because no one likes you there doesn't mean it's bad.
And I would say this would be a lot more friendlier place if people quit being negative all tht time.

"Yes, it's a personal attack if you save my picture about internet safety" ~Labratkid
"You know what JBL? The only reason you were WWE Champion for a year was because Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays!" ~Paul Heyman, addressing the public at the "ECW: One Night Stand" PPV on Sunday, June 12, 2005

JCF Member

LittleFreak is doing well so far

Feb 6, 2005, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derivative
And I would say this would be a lot more friendlier place if people quit being negative all tht time.
... which I agree with.

DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY!

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Feb 6, 2005, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Well, i know forums that are many more "negative" then this one...
Ragnarok!

JCF Member

Ragnarok! is a forum legendRagnarok! is a forum legend

Feb 6, 2005, 12:13 PM
Im trying to keep this place alive and popular, well, I am introducing a FEW people to the game.. And privately doing tournaments..
Xion

JCF Veteran

Feb 8, 2005, 05:25 AM
Quote:
DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDI NGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDI NGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDI NGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDI NGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDI NGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDI NGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDI NGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDI NGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDI NGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDI NGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDI NGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDI NGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDI NGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDI NGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDI NGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDI NGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDI NGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDI NGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDI NGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDI NGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDI NGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDI NGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDI NGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDI NGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDI NGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDI NGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING

We have a winner here.

JCF Veteran

Feb 8, 2005, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz
Well, i know forums that are many more "negative" then this one...
Quote:
Ding
Slaz, that's not the point. That means that we need a change along with them as well. If you're gonna flame each other let it out in a General Whining forum, like the one they have at AGN. Other than that, even if they wanted to flame me they couldn't do it any other forum or they would lose their powers (if they had any) and/or get banned.

Xion, hahaha.

JCF Éminence Grise

Fawriel is doing well so far

Feb 8, 2005, 10:24 AM
I agree with Tubbles ( hehehe )/PHT/Xion.