Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

help a friend

Fighter III

JCF Member

Fighter III is doing well so far

Jan 2, 2003, 03:03 PM
help a friend

There's someone that needed help. This guy that I IM on AIM got a bad techinical help through his PC. Here's his problem:Problem: I was playing a game when something popped up and it minimized - the game then got an error and made my screen's resolution and clor settings really low - feels like 10x18 or something and I think its 16 colorss. But it's too small to change the resolution

Can anybody please give him some advice and help?

Power Rangers Ninja Storm rocks!!
Trafton

JCF Member

Trafton is an asset to this forum

Jan 2, 2003, 03:05 PM
What game is "your friend" playing?

Untitled

Link is doing well so far

Jan 2, 2003, 07:04 PM
I don't think many monitors support a 10x18 resolution. The lowest is usually 640x480.

Why can't your friend change the resolution? It is just an option in the windows display settings
There still remains that strange precipitate
Which has the quality to resist
Our oldest and most trusted catalyst.
It is a substance we cannot cremate
By temperatures known to our Laboratory.

~ E.J. Pratt

Hornet

JCF Member

Hornet is doing well so far

Jan 3, 2003, 06:50 AM
I've seen something like this before. Yes, the lowest resolution I recall seeing is 640x480, but I've run across a few games that actually call for a resolution of 320x240. Windows handles this by zooming in on the upper left-hand corner of the screen when a game of this type is run in fullscreen mode. And then when the game exits, Windows zooms out again. For games that crash, this zoom out never occurs, and the user is left with the blown-up view of the desktop. Three-fourths of the desktop is simply offscreen! As such, the start menu is inaccessible by mouse, as are the OK, Cancel, & Apply buttons on the display properties.

This is what it sounds like to me, and if it is, do not forget the Tab button. Tell your friend to make the changes to the resolution & colors (those should still be on-screen) and then tab to the OK or Apply button. Yes, he will be tabbing blind, so it could be a little tricky. But it's either that or a reboot (Alt+F4 from the desktop should do the trick).

I just thought of one other thing--it MIGHT be possible to just hit Enter after making the changes to the resolution and colors, eliminating the need for the Tab button.