Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Windows XP, Jazz1, and Sound Blaster Live... not a happy family.

nxn

JCF Member

nxn is doing well so far

Nov 28, 2002, 01:08 PM
Windows XP, Jazz1, and Sound Blaster Live... not a happy family.

I'm sorry for bothering you with this again, I know this has been asked before because I browsed the forums before deciding to post. I checked alteast 5 different threads describing the same exact problem, and I couldn't find a solution.

Like the topic says, I have windows xp, a sound blaster live 5.1, and the problem is with JJ1. After I used the tppatch to avoid the runtime error the music and sound are incredibly choppy and slow, same goes for the game, sometimes jazz keeps running for a good second after I have let go of the key.

I used to play jazz 1 on windows 98 with the same hardware and it was great, so I'm guessing the problem is with Win XP. Does anyone know what I could do?

BTW, I tried playing around with the sound card settings, no luck there, and I also tried downloading some VBR program, that helped with the sound but the game still played like crap.

JCF Member

nxn is doing well so far

Nov 28, 2002, 06:13 PM
I seem to have found a program that lets me run jazz pretty well now. I know a lot of the people here have this same problem so I'll put a link to it: http://www.softsystem.co.uk/page3.htm

The only problem now is that the shareware program only runs for 3 minutes before kicking you out of the game so if you want to play jazz you need to purchase the full version from them. But atleast now you know you CAN play Jazz 1 on XP.

JCF Member

Haze is doing well so far

Nov 29, 2002, 02:57 AM
There's a freeware Gravis UltraSound emulator out there that should function on WindowsNT-based systems.
However I have no experience with the combination of these two. Knowing that JJ1 support GUS-cards you may want to give it a try. A single Google search should bring up the website. If not, search the news archives on Ojuice.

JCF Member

Nadine has disabled reputation

Dec 1, 2002, 06:01 PM
I wonder why it doesn't work with shareware? I guess I can try this for Jazz CD, but if I want to play HH94 or 95 (whichever was the one not included in Jazz CD), I only have 3 minutes, so that won't work.

By the way, I have other such games that just do not work or play well at all in Windows XP - the sound is ALWAYS a problem too. I got Duke 3D working but not in the resolution I wanted, and not with very good sound at all.

So I would recommend getting a dual boot set up so you can have Window 98 or some old OS, and Windows XP. This is what I plan on doing. I just have alot of favourite old games that I'm not going to never play again just cause Windows XP won't let me.

But what can we do for Jazz shareware then? I'm getting all 'holiday-ish' and I'm gonna play games that are holiday themed - thank you Jazz Jackrabbit series for providing this. So if anyone here has Jazz 2 CC I'm gonna be playing that more than regular Jazz 2 lately, so please join me. I'll maybe host a server but I don't have any extra levels.

Edit: LOL Haze! I love your sig, and it's so true too. Why don't they atleast put a note on that site that it's no more and link to your site and Jazz2online?

Tasty.....

JCF Member

Haze is doing well so far

Dec 2, 2002, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Nadine
Edit: LOL Haze! I love your sig, and it's so true too. Why don't they atleast put a note on that site that it's no more and link to your site and Jazz2online?
Offtopic: because that would go against the whole principle of not updating the Daily Carrot ever again. ;P

JCF Member

nxn is doing well so far

Dec 2, 2002, 10:04 PM
I tried that Gravis UltraSound Emu and it failed Jazz and every other game I have on my hard drive for some reason. Maybe I just didn't set it right, I tried many different things with it though.

I also tried downloading FreeDOS and trying to get that to run, all that happened is that now I regret chosing NTFS over FAT32. For the same reason I doubt I could have a dual boot with Win98se. I can't even set up a partion on this cursed pc without formatting. I'm actually thinking of backing up the 10gb of (-) and music I have on D: just so I can format it and make it use FAT32 so I could then get FreeDOS to work on it.

If I am missing some small little detail that would prevent this from happening I would love if someone brought it up as losing another day of sleep would hurt me plenty. That and taking a risk with my (-) and music hard drive is a bit serious.

EDIT (off topic): erm... why can't you say (-) over here?

Derby: Content/Filter bypass edit.

Last edited by Derby; Dec 5, 2002 at 03:48 PM.
Trafton

JCF Member

Trafton is an asset to this forum

Dec 3, 2002, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nxn
EDIT (off topic): erm... why can't you say (-) over here?
Aherm. Because the word is not suitable for the age group on this board, and using the alternative spelling is a filter bypass.

Derby: Previous quotation edit.

Last edited by Derby; Dec 5, 2002 at 03:49 PM.
nxn

JCF Member

nxn is doing well so far

Dec 4, 2002, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Trafton
Aherm. Because the word is not suitable for the age group on this board, and using the alternative spelling is a filter bypass.
Yes, that was exactly what I was trying to do, bypass the filter so you know which word I was talking about. Why? Because if a word like that is filtered out god knows what else is filtered out. I believe it is an accaptable part of the english vocabulary, just as acceptable as the word 'drug' if not more. I mean seriously, just because you don't want kids doing drugs you're going to take out the word 'drugs' and pretend they don't exist? We'll see how far you get with a method like that.

JCF Member

Derby is doing well so far

Dec 5, 2002, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nxn
Yes, that was exactly what I was trying to do, bypass the filter so you know which word I was talking about. Why? Because if a word like that is filtered out god knows what else is filtered out. I believe it is an accaptable part of the english vocabulary, just as acceptable as the word 'drug' if not more. I mean seriously, just because you don't want kids doing drugs you're going to take out the word 'drugs' and pretend they don't exist? We'll see how far you get with a method like that.

Tylenol.
Trafton

JCF Member

Trafton is an asset to this forum

Dec 5, 2002, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Derby
Tylenol.
News to me the word 'drugs' was being filtered.

Bayer.

JCF Member

Dec 5, 2002, 04:20 PM
Well, this is really getting off topic.

As far as Jazz 1 in XP goes, I haven't tried this yet, but apparantely what is even better to patch the exe file for the runtime 200 error is CTBPPAT and to get the sound working (and so the game will run properly) you want to use VDMSound which emulates older sound cards. It even has options to slow down your CPU or whatever.

For any oldgames on new PCs you really should check out VOGONS (Very Old Games On New Systems), and for Jazz 1 specifically, you can check out this thread . By the way, I'm 'dyinginformant' there.

It's too bad I don't have time to try this now, but I'm sure this works for Jazz 1. But I really would like to say when I know for certain. But I'm too busy with homework right now for college.

Hope I could be of some help to others who have had this problem. Now Space Quest 6 on XP, that's a whole nother story, one that goes 'Once apon a time, in a dual-booted PC'.....

nxn

JCF Member

nxn is doing well so far

Dec 10, 2002, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Well, this is really getting off topic.

As far as Jazz 1 in XP goes, I haven't tried this yet, but apparantely what is even better to patch the exe file for the runtime 200 error is CTBPPAT and to get the sound working (and so the game will run properly) you want to use VDMSound which emulates older sound cards. It even has options to slow down your CPU or whatever.

For any oldgames on new PCs you really should check out VOGONS (Very Old Games On New Systems), and for Jazz 1 specifically, you can check out this thread . By the way, I'm 'dyinginformant' there.

It's too bad I don't have time to try this now, but I'm sure this works for Jazz 1. But I really would like to say when I know for certain. But I'm too busy with homework right now for college.

Hope I could be of some help to others who have had this problem. Now Space Quest 6 on XP, that's a whole nother story, one that goes 'Once apon a time, in a dual-booted PC'.....

I've tried VDM before and it didn't work at all, Jazz wouldn't even start. Thanks for suggesting it though, I'll read that thread now.

JCF Member

Dec 10, 2002, 06:28 PM
If you read that thread, you can see I'm still having problems. I don't know if VDMSound works - it works for lots of people, but right now I can't even get Jazz.exe patched so I can't even run the game cause of the runtime 200 error.

For VDMSound you also have to make sure you have the update or something and you must install it correctly. There are also options you can try if the defaults don't work for you. But I have never been able to get old games to work on Windows XP. I guess I definitely will need to get a dual boot set up. But I'm worried about doing it, and I'm also SO lazy....

Tasty.....
nxn

JCF Member

nxn is doing well so far

Dec 11, 2002, 04:23 AM
I downloaded VDMS 2.0.4 (I believe) yesterday and the VDMS Launcher. Then I setup up a custom configuration which I fine tuned to my needs and it made a handy little file that I can just double click on that will run JJ1. The sound works "ok" and the game seems to be playable now unlike before.

The reason to why I said the sound is ok is because it still ends up choppy if I do too many actions at once. Lowering the sound quality in setup.exe fixes that, but it's still 2003 and I believe I should be able to play Jazz with the highest grade sound possible.

I should try that new patch, maybe it will fix that little problem then, and if it doesn't Jazz is still A LOT more functional than it ever was before in Win XP.

---
If you want to get jazz patched go to http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/ctsi.shtml download ctbppat.zip unzip it into your jazz dir, then go to the win xp command prompt get into your jazz dir and type "ctbppat file0001.exe". All you have to do then is press "y" whenever it needs to ask you something.

Then what you want to do is to set up a custom configuration for the VDMS in JJ and switch to SoundBlaster Pro2 instead of SoundBlaster 16 which doesn't seem to work for some reason. The "Reduce CPU" option doesn't need to be turned on since you patched file0001.exe with ctbppat. If you use the default JJ controlls getting rid of that check next to "alt+space" helps a lot.

I think that's about all you need to know in order to get it to work fairly well in XP. Good luck with it, as for me I'll still keep trying to tune it so the music and sound is a bit quicker. It's still much, much better than it would be without VDMS though.

Last edited by nxn; Dec 11, 2002 at 05:06 AM.
Nadine

JCF Member

Dec 11, 2002, 05:00 PM
How do you know to patch file 001 or whatever instead of jazz.exe? And this works? No matter what I try it doesn't work.

I think there is some update for VDMSound. You get it, and the update, and the launcher, and all set up correctly, and it should be fine. But I can't try it myself yet.

I'll try what you said, and if it doesn't work (and if you have JazzCD), I'll just ask you for the patched exe file. I am having some bad luck here.

Are these instructions the same for HH94 or 95? Whichever one it is that's not included with JazzCD I want to play it too.
nxn

JCF Member

nxn is doing well so far

Dec 12, 2002, 02:56 PM
Yeah that detail skipped my mind. For JJ1 and HH94 just patch file0001.exe and for HH5 just patch jazz.exe. If you still can't get it to patch them I can send you the files.

As for the VDMS upgrade, I'm pretty sure I got the newest version out, unless the upgrade is some add on.

JCF Member

Dec 12, 2002, 07:46 PM
VDMSound isn't doing a thing. What should I set it for? I have a SoundBlaster 5.1 card and I want as good quality sound as I can get. Right now it's scratchy, choppy and slow.
nxn

JCF Member

nxn is doing well so far

Dec 13, 2002, 03:44 PM
Quote:
VDMSound isn't doing a thing. What should I set it for? I have a SoundBlaster 5.1 card and I want as good quality sound as I can get. Right now it's scratchy, choppy and slow.
Search for the VDMSound launcher program on google. Download it, put it in your jazz dir, install it, then rick click on jazz.exe and select the "Run with VDMS" option. There should be two, make sure you click on the one with the little note thing by it.

Then just follow this:

Quote:
Set up a custom configuration for the VDMS in JJ and switch to SoundBlaster Pro2 instead of SoundBlaster 16 which doesn't seem to work for some reason. If you use the default JJ controlls getting rid of that check next to "alt+space" helps a lot.
Remember to then go into setup.exe and select SoundBlaster Pro as your sound card. Try it with the highest quality setting, the music might skip a little depending on your pc, however it will not be as bad as it was before and the gameplay should be smooth.

That should work, and if it doesn't you can IM me at 'orion x navas'.

Untitled

Link is doing well so far

Dec 14, 2002, 08:23 AM
VDMSound works perfectly for me. Thanks for telling me about it.

But I'm having problem with the game itself. Everything is perfect, except for the "scrolling", which is choppy. The animation within the frame is very smooth and perfect, but when I move, the whole frame kind of "jiggles". It is not very noticeable, but it is really hard on your eyes. Does anyone else have this problem?
There still remains that strange precipitate
Which has the quality to resist
Our oldest and most trusted catalyst.
It is a substance we cannot cremate
By temperatures known to our Laboratory.

~ E.J. Pratt

Nadine

JCF Member

Dec 14, 2002, 12:49 PM
Yeah, that's what's happening for me too. In addition, the sound is not all it could be, though again, back at that VOGONS site at that topic, they have given some things I can try in VDMsound. I don't know how the game can be smoother. Yeah, Jazz and the characters move fine, it's the scrolling and moving of the screen is not all that great.

I want to hear from more people who have gotten Jazz to work. Cause I could have sworn I heard stories of it running perfectly. But now that I want to play it (Holiday Hare actually) I want to make sure it works so I can play it already. I can play it, but it is kinda hard on the eyes, and the music being scratchy and speeding up and slowing down when it wants doesn't help either.

We'll get this thing. We're so close! I've never even be able to RUN the game in Windows XP before, so I am pleased with the results so far. I was also able to run Duke Nukem 3D in XP but, not perfect - and the sound is horrible.