Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

isp warning & hitman?

Alex

Sep 17, 2006, 01:49 AM
isp warning & hitman?

I got a warning from my ISP that one (or more) of teh computers in my network are sending out massive spam, (infected by some spamsending spyware)

I am now running Hitman Pro, but..
it uses 3nd party tools, which require paid registration to work, adn it wont continue / skip without those processes.

if one of those 3nd party scan utilities finishes, sometimes hitman doesn't continue, and hangs up, I have to restart the whole thing, only to find out it just does the same again )

heelp?

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

Sep 18, 2006, 03:01 PM
Grab Spybot and Ad-Aware, and run both of them. Between them they catch most of the nasties out there. Get hold of a decent anti-virus as well, and let it loose over everything.

Unfortuantly the nastier trojans use rootkit tricks to hide themselves, and the only way to be completely sure you've nailed one is to treat it as a full system compromise and reformat the disk, change all your passwords, and redownload any and all programs you've downloaded. There is no other way to guarantee that it's gone.

Alex

Sep 19, 2006, 06:07 AM
well, I managed to get the thing running, rooted out 75 or so harmless thingy's...

its now up to my ISP to tell me wether it has stopped, or when exactly it even happened, since my sister managed to blow up her windows with some kind of nasty virus, that indeed required formatting. if it was then, it isnt even my problem, and its solved already..

but thnx anyway problem (probably) solved

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Sep 19, 2006, 09:06 AM
I used hitman pro once too.. it took me an hour to get it running and then four hours later it was still not done scanning. using one antivirus and one antispyware really works better than using 10 trial versions (that even scan one another's isolation folders) at a time.

Recommendations:

FIREWALL
-for powerful pcs: GData Internet Security (comes with antivirus and antispyware)
-for less powerful pcs: Norton Internet Security *currentyear* (comes with antivirus)
-for old pcs: NOD-32

ANTIVIRUS
-for powerful pcs: GData AntiVirusKit (comes with antispyware)
-for less powerful pcs: Norton Antivirus

ANTI-SPYWARE
-for powerful pcs: Webroot SpySweeper
-for less powerful pcs: Webroot SpySweeper
-for old pcs: Windows Defender

JCF Member

Jimbob is doing well so far

Oct 1, 2006, 07:46 AM
I'd probly reccommend AVG. (That's what I use... I have a fast computer though, so it may not work very well on slow computers)
When it detects a virus, it displays a message on screen that will look somewhat like this:

It may kinda startle you, but it gets the job done.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Oct 2, 2006, 07:45 AM
looks funny.. I'll try it =) I just trashed AVK because it just sucked up too much system resources

JCF Member

Black Ninja is an asset to this forumBlack Ninja is an asset to this forum

Oct 3, 2006, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrythabest
I used hitman pro once too.. it took me an hour to get it running and then four hours later it was still not done scanning. using one antivirus and one antispyware really works better than using 10 trial versions (that even scan one another's isolation folders) at a time.

Recommendations:

FIREWALL
-for powerful pcs: GData Internet Security (comes with antivirus and antispyware)
-for less powerful pcs: Norton Internet Security *currentyear* (comes with antivirus)

ANTIVIRUS
-for powerful pcs: GData AntiVirusKit (comes with antispyware)
-for less powerful pcs: Norton Antivirus

ANTI-SPYWARE
-for powerful pcs: Webroot SpySweeper
-for less powerful pcs: Webroot SpySweeper
-for old pcs: Windows Defender
Very flawed listing. Norton is not at all good for less powerful PCs, as it is a resource hog. Norton can take up to 200 MB of RAM to run, depending on how you configure it. Same with Windows Defender for older PCs - they'd never run it. GData also is just...meh. I suggest any antivirus product from Trend Micro (PC-Cillin is great and light in resource usage).

JCF Member

Sonyk is doing well so far

Oct 3, 2006, 08:38 PM
Not only that, but I can honestly say that Norton has never found a virus for me, while Avast (run immediately after the Norton scan) would generally find 2 or 3. I'd say to stay away from Norton.

JCF Member

Oct 4, 2006, 08:17 AM
I'm not all that fan of norton either, honestly.. but for the time I had it it worked really good

JCF Member

NovaStar is doing well so far

Oct 5, 2006, 12:14 AM
Norton slows down my computer which is currently being configured for use over here with the internet by a lot. Takes about 5 minutes for it to start up, so I wouldn't use it if you need speed on your computer, and most of us do.

A little off-topic, does Vet Anti-Virus tend to be a memory hog? The computer I'm using now gets horrible lag...or does Spyware Doctor do that? I doubt it is Spyware Doctor tho.

JCF Member

Black Ninja is an asset to this forumBlack Ninja is an asset to this forum

Oct 5, 2006, 06:10 PM
Haven't even heard of Vet Anti-Virus, so it must suck.

Again I say, everyone should use one of Trend Micro's solutions. Running their complete security system takes a mere 40 MB of memory (that's 160 MB less than Norton), and costs only 29.99. That's a BARGAIN.
Alex

Oct 5, 2006, 10:48 PM
http://www.free-av.com/

its free, its good, and it isn't a memory hog. only drawback for me is that it updates on the most random times, and by that, creates a whole bunch of lag while I'm gaming.

JCF Member

Sonyk is doing well so far

Oct 6, 2006, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ninja
Haven't even heard of Vet Anti-Virus, so it must suck.
The last time you said that, you were talking about Firefox.

I rest my case.