Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Archived forums (closed for posting) » War Tavern

War tavern RPG...

Xion

JCF Veteran

Xion is doing well so far

Jan 25, 2003, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Radium
-Is it modifing the plot too much to put a huge Heroes Of Might And Magic style battle on that desert planet? One where the slaves and Copper's friends fight against a bunch of turtles, lizards, etc? They fight a real big battle in the story, but the slaves seem to be killing whoever they run into first... And I need to put in an awesome custom batle system to make Xion shutup=P.
blah, I have a CBS that is like IoG, SoM, and SoE...Where you go around and kill, no math, just your skills against countless numbers...I'll host it on my webserver if you like.

[edit] RM2k3 update!!! click. [/edit]

Page claim three in a row...

JCF Member

4I Falcon has disabled reputation

Jan 25, 2003, 06:41 PM
Does nobody (not N0B0DY, there's a difference) actually read anything in the War Tavern anymore? This WTRPG topic looks like it's the only thing people are paying attention to. It's kind of disappointing, not having any new chapters of anything to read... so sad...

acid, where are you? ;_;

RABID CRAZINESS FOLLOWS.

"I like driving an automatic, because I can do this." *revs engine* "You like driving a manual?" "What did I say?" "Automatic." "I like my... automatic, uh, arm... it changes the shift-gear on my, uh, manual." - 4IF vs Ken

WT (un)masterpieces:
Enter: Jack Flash
System of Turbulence
Profile count: disabled.

Galbadia Hotel: your one-stop shop for all your VG music needs!

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Jan 26, 2003, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Xion
blah, I have a CBS that is like IoG, SoM, and SoE...Where you go around and kill, no math, just your skills against countless numbers...I'll host it on my webserver if you like.
I, and probably many other people with an IQ over eleven, will choose strategy over skill any day.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.
Xion

JCF Veteran

Jan 26, 2003, 02:08 PM
Quote:
I, and probably many other people with an IQ over eleven, will choose strategy over skill any day.
You seem to be owned by Sony, aren't you? Final Fantasy boy.

I prefer the games where it's your skill against the world, not just some alogorythm (can I spell tonight? Where is my coffee!) in the background calculating a hit or miss and that's all you do. Those games are just "Attack attack attack attack you win." BO-RING. The Interactive RPG attack systems, where it's "Smack, move, Smack, move, smack, get hit, smack, move, finish him, and move on." are more entertaining than anything else. This is why I prefer UT assault levels than Risk. Risk is too boring for me, it's just the same thing over and over: Attack, move troops, and finish turn. At least in these RPG games you get to move around and choose who you want to kill and how you want to kill them: fast and painless or slow and painful.

PSO4EVR

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 26, 2003, 02:19 PM
Actually, I've never played Final Fantasy. I just like strategy more than "Zelda Style" running around and hitting the enemy. I'm not sure if this is what you described as liking or disliking, but this is what the battle system I'm basing this off of is:
http://www.insidemacgames.com/images/homm3_08_l.jpg

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.
Xion

JCF Veteran

Jan 26, 2003, 04:04 PM
Tactics? Easy! I can do that!

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 26, 2003, 04:09 PM
Yes, but I'm going to be doing something a bit different with it. You'll see when it's done =P.

Nightshade

JCF Member

Nightshade is doing well so far

Jan 27, 2003, 09:40 AM
Quote:
That line sounds kind of akward when you read it... She really hates Claw that much?

No, she's just surprised that anyone could survive that. She's trying to figure it out. I mean, she hated him at the beginning but then he proved his worth ...
"I can do all things through Christ whom strengthens me." ~Phillipians 4:13

"Whatever." ~Coppertop

There's a fine line between Good and Evil. . .

read Conquests to find out why.

"Only Death keeps a secret. . . ."
-Zazz Darkfist

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 27, 2003, 11:30 AM
I didn't get much time to work on the game over the weekend, I was sick and laying in bed. However, I'll work on it soon.

Though I am getting rather desprate for some combat graphics. If I don't get someone who can make some soon, I may have to use a human base for them. Yes, that means I'm going to call someone I don't like over to my house, dress them like a woman, and make them swing a sword in front of a camera where I'll digitally replace their head with that of a rabbit. Actually, when you think about it that sounds relatively easy... though I'd still prefer drawn graphics =P.

Xion

JCF Veteran

Jan 27, 2003, 01:02 PM
have you asked in the art forum?

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 27, 2003, 01:16 PM
Yes.

Nightshade

JCF Member

Nightshade is doing well so far

Jan 28, 2003, 10:27 AM
I'd help, but I don't know how. Sorry.
"I can do all things through Christ whom strengthens me." ~Phillipians 4:13

"Whatever." ~Coppertop

There's a fine line between Good and Evil. . .

read Conquests to find out why.

"Only Death keeps a secret. . . ."
-Zazz Darkfist
Kaz

JCF Member

Kaz has disabled reputation

Jan 28, 2003, 08:07 PM
Heh, skill over slash. See, the bad thing about that is most people get addicted to using skills and then the game gets somewhat boring. Try to force in a balance like the stamina system in Chrono Cross.

For those of you that don't know..
Prompt:
Strike (weak but accurate)1
Slash (moderate)2
Fierce (strong, but inaccurate attack)2

Those skills drain Stamina, and hitting accurately takes up turns in a "realtime" battle, but each successful hit enables you to use higher levels of skills. There should also be the basic skill like "runic" in FF6 (heh, my shield would be like runic ^^) or "tools". Anyways, try to even them out and not have magic in the upper hand.

I'll read up on profiles and design "profiles" like the CC system if you want. I need to get my graph paper drawings into pixel form though ><.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 29, 2003, 07:30 AM
Don't worry, I've already got it planned out. I'm not going to get that far in the first installment of the game anyway, so stop bugging me about it =P.

Coppertop

Coppertop is doing well so far

Jan 30, 2003, 09:59 AM
Okay. We will.

Now I can really say that Coppertop approves.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 30, 2003, 12:47 PM
Yay! Copertop is all copperryandstuff again!

Coppertop

Jan 31, 2003, 07:39 AM
No more Nightshade here. I don't know why it works now, Fquist says he didn't do anything. Oh well.

JCF Éminence Grise

Feb 6, 2003, 06:10 PM
Arrow Update on the game or whatever...

The game really wasn't moving along since I didn't get any battle graphics, so I decided to use stick figures untill I get/make some decent animations.

Ph33r.

JCF Éminence Grise

Feb 8, 2003, 11:15 AM
Update on the Game (Since I'm the only one that cares)

I drew drawed two average enemys for Lohar (sp?). YAy.

Coppertop

Feb 10, 2003, 12:22 PM
Spelling is correct, Rad. I didn't mention what the Loharians looked like, but that is a fair approximation. Good job!

JCF Éminence Grise

Feb 10, 2003, 01:10 PM
Yes, it's quite difficult making the characters right. Everyone that reads the story gets their own idea of the characters, so I have to use every available description, and for the rest, try to guess what most people would assume they look like. They'll probably be a lot of people who dislike my interpitations, but hopefully I can make something most people can agree on.

And I would check the spelling more often, but whenever I'm connected to the internet I get some Marco!.scr virus... strange.

Coppertop

Feb 25, 2003, 01:44 PM
*sigh* Is this attempt dead, Rad? Or have you just not bothered to update?

JCF Éminence Grise

Feb 25, 2003, 02:13 PM
Just not bothered to update.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Feb 25, 2003, 02:49 PM
Marco.scr, just in case you don't know, is Opusserve (not sure of spelling). Remove it by going into the WINDOWS directory, and sorting by date. The files that are part of it should appear at the bottom (I can remember Brazil.pif, Marco.scr and Alevir.exe). Delete them. Then go into Regedit, and go into the thing for run when your computer comes up (LOCAL MACHINE, SOFTWARE, MICROSOFT, WINDOWS, CURRENT VERSION, RUN) Delete any of the suspicious files from here. If while in WINDOWS you couldn't delete some of the files (such as Brazil), restart your computer, go into WINDOWS again, and delete them.
(This solution may not work on operating systems other then Windows 98)

I like the backgrounds....

JCF Éminence Grise

Feb 25, 2003, 05:19 PM
I've gotten Opsuserve virus off my computer, and (I think) off my network, but the problem is other computers. Ops first infects your computer, then put's it's files on your network, and finally begins contacting random IPs (I think it catalogs them too) and placing the files on them. It was origionally meant to download from some now inactive site, probably meant to make all the computers in the world crash at once.

Coppertop

Feb 27, 2003, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Just not bothered to update.
Good.