Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Opinion Poll: Storyline or Gameplay?

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

Jul 6, 2001, 01:04 PM
I am in the process of making a new pack, but I am not very interested in having storyline involved. It'd pretty much be a bunch of unique levels strung together.

However, if most of you like a good storyline, I'd be more than happy to throw one in for ya. So, that's why I want your opinion. Storyline or Gameplay?
<a href="/junk/tick/tickbot.html">readme</a> - <a href="/junk/tick/quote.html">quotes</a> - <a href="/junk/tick/rsg.html">formats</a> - are you brained? *\o/*</td><td width="1%" align="right"></td></tr></table>

JCF Member

Newspaz has disabled reputation

Jul 6, 2001, 01:57 PM
Storyline and gameplay.
Fquist_old

JCF Member

Fquist_old is doing well so far

Jul 6, 2001, 02:06 PM
My thought exactly.
Old Jul 6, 2001, 03:21 PM
ElectroPiZZa
This message has been deleted by ElectroPiZZa.

JCF Member

Cesar has disabled reputation

Jul 6, 2001, 04:51 PM
A good action&puzzle storyline and some action&puzzle gameplay. 'nuff said.
Derby

JCF Member

Derby is doing well so far

Jul 6, 2001, 05:17 PM
Gameplay always comes before storyline. Gameplay can often change what you think about the storyline, but not so often vice versa. A creation is based heavily on how it functions, and not so much on its background. Should you create a storyline (which is recommended for extended play), you should obviously make one that relates to the gameplay.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Jul 6, 2001, 07:03 PM
For games like jazz2, try not to have your gameplay driven by the story. Always put gameplay first.

Visit My JJ2 Blog (HOLD YOUR HORSES I'M WORKING ON IT SHEESH)
~SPLASH~

JCF Member

~SPLASH~ is doing well so far

Jul 7, 2001, 01:39 AM
gameplay goes first. storyline is kinda kewl, but gameplay is much better, after all, u need to be able to play some good levels right?
Ninja Dodo

JCF Member

Ninja Dodo is doing well so far

Jul 7, 2001, 04:55 AM
both

gameplay get's you playing and storyline keeps you playing...
ElectroPiZZa

JCF Member

ElectroPiZZa is doing well so far

Jul 7, 2001, 07:49 AM
Also, the storyline has to have some kind of appeal to it. There are a few "customary" storylines that have been overused in the past by almost every media; such as the ol' "OHH DEAR ALIENZ R INVAEEDING eeERRTH!!1111 U HaeEV 2 ESCPAE LOLOLOL!!!!!111" and the "your name is Blajamarakazoink B. Flarfangoofer, and you have to escape from this maze and get all 500,000 GOLDEN-SUPER-MEGA-DUPER keys to unlock the PORTAL OF DOOM!!!!!111111111". Redundant.

As you can see, a good storyline requires a plot, a time setting, a character, and, in the worst case, a storyline. It has to create a mood, a thought-provoking plot, and a... OH WHO CARES, IT'S JUST A JAZZ 2 LEVEL

Last edited by ElectroPiZZa; Sep 17, 2005 at 06:29 PM.
Derby

JCF Member

Derby is doing well so far

Jul 7, 2001, 07:42 PM
"Another Story" is an example of gameplay driven by storyline. The author had to be brilliant to actually make a good pack out of it, and believe it or not, he did. I still play it sometimes because the storyline is absorbing to the point that it absorbs. ;-P
Fear

JCF Member

Fear is doing well so far

Jul 8, 2001, 06:33 AM
Gameplay is the most important, but a little storyline here and there can be something too.

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

Jul 8, 2001, 02:12 PM
Hmmphness. Well, try to decide on one or the other. Would you not like a string of Jazz 2 levels altogether with no plot, or just a whee little bit of storyline? String of levels would be much easier.
&lt;table width=&quot;100%&quot;&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td valign=&quot;top&quot;&gt;&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.jj2.info&quot; title=&quot;waaaait&quot; style=&quot;font-size: 14pt;font-family: Verdana;text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;penny on the train track&lt;/a&gt;
&lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/tickbot.html&quot;&gt;readme&lt;/a&gt; - &lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/quote.html&quot;&gt;quotes&lt;/a&gt; - &lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/rsg.html&quot;&gt;formats&lt;/a&gt; - are you brained? *\o/*&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td width=&quot;1%&quot; align=&quot;right&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Jul 8, 2001, 03:27 PM
In a few days I am going to release two levels together with no storyline at all. Will that mean they are bad levels? No. In fact, a story would just make things confusing.

Visit My JJ2 Blog (HOLD YOUR HORSES I'M WORKING ON IT SHEESH)
Fear

JCF Member

Jul 9, 2001, 09:19 AM
I disagree with you here EvilMike.

The story would explain why the levels are in that order or with that tileset so its not like... from easter 1 to haunted house back to easter 1 for no reason.

No you could make a story explain that.

the story is what makes strings of levels get higher ratings.

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

Jul 10, 2001, 09:35 PM
Yeah, so a LITTLE story is okay in order to explain what's happening during gameplay?

Blah.
&lt;table width=&quot;100%&quot;&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td valign=&quot;top&quot;&gt;&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.jj2.info&quot; title=&quot;waaaait&quot; style=&quot;font-size: 14pt;font-family: Verdana;text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;penny on the train track&lt;/a&gt;
&lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/tickbot.html&quot;&gt;readme&lt;/a&gt; - &lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/quote.html&quot;&gt;quotes&lt;/a&gt; - &lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/rsg.html&quot;&gt;formats&lt;/a&gt; - are you brained? *\o/*&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td width=&quot;1%&quot; align=&quot;right&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;
Fear

JCF Member

Jul 11, 2001, 04:36 AM
Yes, but without the blah at the bottom, you see the story is meant to enhance the gameplay. Even the real jazz and jazz 2 have stories, but just not too much...

Coppertop

Coppertop is doing well so far

Jul 11, 2001, 08:31 PM
Yes, the levels are sort of a story in their own right. The story line just helps fill in the blanks, I think.
Fear

JCF Member

Jul 12, 2001, 08:36 AM
Faith would be a good, but offending story..