Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » The Art & Fiction Forum

Tales of Uberbob: Contest!

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Jun 28, 2007, 07:37 PM
Tales of Uberbob: Contest!

Did you guys know Tales of Uberbob is running again? Did you guys also know, like, two people are playing? For people that haven't looked at Tales of Uberbob in ages, Torkell sums up the current situation pretty nicely here.

But anyway! It's time to raise ToU Awareness, so I'm holding a CONTEST! The goal? Make a Tales of Uberbob sprite comic!

Description

Make a comic about the Tales of Uberbob characters. If you don't remember much about the characters, the first page of the thread has a link to brief descriptions.

There's a collection of sprites at this link: http://www.foxmage.com/ToU_Sprites.zip

The zip contains large sprites (they have antialiased edges if you import them into Flash/Photoshop/Powerpoint/whatever, or aliased edges for pasting them into Paint) and small sprites (for people that like working with tiny things). You can use either ones, both, or even none (if you feel particularly artistic and want to draw everything yourself).

The only criteria is that it has to be a comic.

Scoring

However, there's other criteria if you actually want to win. You're scored on three aspects:

- How accurately it portrays the Tales of Uberbob characters. As in, do they actually act like their counterparts in the story? Or even resemble them in the slightest? You won't score high here if you do a comic about Megaman, even if you use ToU sprites.

- How original is it? Doing something incredibly predictable or rehashing an old joke is no fun.

- How AWESOMe is it? In other words, the judges will decide which they like best.

And this will be judged by everyone who DM'd Tales of Uberbob in the past (presuming they want to judge). No fancy polls here. This isn't America.

PRIZESSS!!

If you make the best comic, you will be rewarded not only with the joy of outdoing everyone else who entered, but with a DRAWING!

By Risp!

Risp will reluctantly draw something of your choice, for you. Risp is as master of art comparable Michaelangelo and Leonardo DaVinci, producing such works as "The Train to Fun", or "2004-9-9-1". You can't miss an opportunity like that.

So what are you waiting for? COMIC IT UP!

Deadline in, saaay, a week. Next thursday. a while from now.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

Last edited by Radium; Jul 6, 2007 at 01:49 PM. Reason: tuesday is not in a week.

JCF Éminence Grise

Fawriel is doing well so far

Jun 28, 2007, 10:44 PM
i only wurk 4 $$$
sry

JCF Éminence Grise

Jun 29, 2007, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawriel View Post
i only wurk 4 $$$
fooled me D=

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 1, 2007, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
maybe if it weren't a sprite comic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radium View Post
or even none (if you feel particularly artistic and want to draw everything yourself).

JCF Member

Ae has disabled reputation

Jul 6, 2007, 12:59 PM
Contest Entry SUBMISSION

plot==0

Last edited by Ae; Sep 27, 2007 at 02:26 PM.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 6, 2007, 01:47 PM
Ae, that's amazing. I love the kick, and it has at LEAST as much plot as ToU does at the moment.

I'm extending the deadline to "longer from now". Since nobody made the normal one.

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

Jul 6, 2007, 03:14 PM
I'm bored, so here's a random snippet from the life of Shuri:

Stealth Admin

Jul 22, 2007, 07:20 AM
Hey Rad, when's the deadline for this?

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 22, 2007, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkell View Post
Hm, well, I know Strato is still working on an entry, and I want as many as possible. If anyone wants to enter, I'll probably wait for them.

JCF Member

Aug 4, 2007, 09:00 PM
Quote:
^!.

JCF Éminence Grise

Aug 4, 2007, 09:08 PM
I'll give Strato until Wednesday. Then he loses.

JCF Éminence Grise

Aug 10, 2007, 12:21 PM
Right, Strato got an extra day, I now pronounce this contest husband and CLOSED.

As soon as I can dig up Lem, Risp, and Dev, we can decide whether Torkell or Ae is cooler. And which of them had a better submission.

JCF Éminence Grise

Aug 10, 2007, 01:01 PM
Okay, and teh winnar is...

Aeaeuo! By three votes and a Schrodinger's Cat. A Schrodinger's Cat because I didn't want to wait for Dev to show up and his vote wouldn't've mattered anyway.

Congrats to both entrants. When I asked Lem who he'd vote for, he nicely summed both up:
Quote:
LemGambino: Hmmm. This is going to be a difficult one.
LemGambino: On the one hand, corner A perfectly portrays the characters regardless of setting, while corner B takes a more "Far Side" approach with some JCF insight thrown in.
ItalicSemicolon: Yeah. It's hard to compare apples and oranges, but pick which is... more of a citrus fruit, I guess
LemGambino: I'm workin' on it
ItalicSemicolon: k
LemGambino: They're both fairly well done.
LemGambino: Though corner A's comic gives me the misinformation that Uberbob has three identical brothers that disappear and reappear at random.
LemGambino: And corner B's sitch isn't as funny if you're not from the forum and/or the ToU thread.
LemGambino: I...
LemGambino: Think...
ItalicSemicolon: *drumroll*
LemGambino: This game's winner is...
LemGambino: (EXPLOSIONS FIREWORKS) Corner A with its six-panel ACTION!

So, Ae, what do you want for your PRIEs?

Stealth Admin

Aug 10, 2007, 02:42 PM
Congrats, Ae.

JCF Member

Sep 12, 2007, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Congrats, Ae.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radium View Post
So, Ae, what do you want for your PRIEs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ninja View Post
Hey, all you artists out there! I'm in need of some services from one of you. What I need is 3 or 4 drawings (computer-made or hand drawn) of Fooruman. Not just any drawings, though. If you accept the 'job,' I'll send you 3 or 4 images, each containing an art style and pose I'd like imitated with the corresponding Fooruman drawing. Each drawing I need is relatively simple, and I don't need any background art or anything done; just Fooruman himself.

If you don't want to do all 3/4 (I'm undecided) drawings, I could in theory recruit 3 or 4 different artists.

Respond if you're interested; I need the images relatively soon.

Thanks,

BN

I want a picture of these 3 or 4 styles of Fooruman BATTLING eachother.

Last edited by Ae; Sep 12, 2007 at 01:19 PM.

JCF Member

Black Ninja is an asset to this forumBlack Ninja is an asset to this forum

Sep 12, 2007, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ae View Post
Thanks!
I want a picture of these 3 or 4 styles of Fooruman BATTLING eachother.
I wouldn't mind seeing that myself. ;p

JCF Member

Mar 22, 2009, 11:01 AM
I feel like a part of me is missing whenever I think about what my prize could have looked like. Which means a few minutes ago when I found the .zip file with the sprites used for the comic.

JCF Éminence Grise

Mar 22, 2009, 01:09 PM
Lucky for you, I can now threaten Risp IRL until he draws it.

JCF Éminence Grise

Fawriel is doing well so far

Mar 22, 2009, 01:56 PM
Awwww, how cute!