Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

Drawing Levels Pre-JJ2

View Poll Results: Ever drawn levels on paper way before knowing about JJ2?
Yes 28 75.68%
No 9 24.32%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

Nov 21, 2007, 09:59 PM
Drawing Levels Pre-JJ2

I've been meaning to make this poll for a while, and seeing what Tik wrote here (second paragraph) reminded me to create it. This should be an interesting poll simply because you wouldn't really expect too many others having the same odd drawing hobby as you used to, yet that may be the case. The question is, have you ever drawn levels on paper way before knowing about JJ2? I mean something along the lines of drawing the entire layout to a homemade Sonic or Mario level.

Bonus points if you have any level drawings to share.
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.

FireSworD

JCF Member

FireSworD is an asset to this forumFireSworD is an asset to this forum

Nov 21, 2007, 10:20 PM
I have drawn game concepts on paper long before I've played jj2, and I used to draw commander keen levels when I was 5.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Nov 22, 2007, 01:59 AM
I even made levels in other media for JJ2 before knowing about JCS.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 04:39 AM
cooba
This message has been deleted by cooba.

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Nov 23, 2007, 06:06 AM
Tons. Really. Back when I was 6 or so, I filled a whole around 200 page A4 notebook with a simplistic (a stickman walking on straight lines and fighting evil man-eating plants) platformer game, which I passed myself by drawing character's track with lines, where for example a loop in the line could mean a punch or a salto and so on. I lost the notebook long, long ago, but I have some Mario level drawings back home. I could scan them next week if anybody wants to see.

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)
Saphir

JCF Member

Saphir is doing well so far

Nov 23, 2007, 06:19 AM
Lol yeah, I planned an entire game which spanned like 5 A5-notebooks and probably a couple of A4 ones too.

JCF Member

FreeFull is doing well so far

Nov 23, 2007, 06:25 AM
2*A5=A4

JCF Member

Saphir is doing well so far

Nov 23, 2007, 07:34 AM
In theory. But i'd say 1*A4 > 2 A5*since you rarely put something in the very margins of a paper.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Nov 23, 2007, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleGJ View Post
Back when I was 6 or so, I filled a whole around 200 page A4 notebook with a simplistic (a stickman walking on straight lines and fighting evil man-eating plants)
Hah. This explains quite a few things :)

And well, it looks like I'm not the only one who had drawn entire game designs on paper. What's even better, my last (and apparently the biggest) one was inspired by JJ2 (I was using 640x480 and couldn't use JCS :D ), which includes the custom levels included in the TSF release. Half of the environments were grandly "derived" from JJ2 - I had levels which took place in an english colony(!), a grassland planet with purple mushrooms(!), a laboratory(!), and a rabbit land with big carrots(!!), which I used for the last two levels (Carrot Cream Clone had impressed me quite a lot). I even remembered to use different tile colors for each level and to use alliteration in the names. I was amazing. :(

I'm more happy with the enemy designs I made up, though. I was a little disappointed with JJ2's scarce variety of those, and wanted to have a little more fun with turtles (yes, I used turtles as the basic enemy). I remember that I made a variation of the Normal Turtle with a lantern mounted on its shell, so that he could be used in the 'Colonius' levels. There were even day/night versions with the lantern respectively lit on/off. Cute )=

JCF Member

KRSplat is a forum legendKRSplat is a forum legend

Nov 23, 2007, 11:41 AM
I don't think I ever drew any levels before experiencing JJ2. I was only seven when I first played JJ2, anyway, and (still) not much in the way of drawing. But like (probably) anyone who played platformer games (JJ1) I imagined it, and did have ideas. This post contains many parentheses.

JCF Member

DarkSonic is doing well so far

Nov 23, 2007, 12:41 PM
I used to draw levels for Supaplex on paper and I made some levels to play as well. And I made levels for some other games as well, but I didn't draw those levels on paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Jarno View Post
What is Distopia

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

Nov 24, 2007, 03:21 PM
Yeah. Before I learned how to use JCS I used to draw out jj2 levels on paper. Actually, I seem to have done the same thing for quite a few other games I've played when I was young. I used to have about 3 notebooks of levels I've drawn for Donkey Kong or something, hahah. I'd assume my entire collection of drawn game levels would span a tome of some considerable size..

JCF Member

Eigus is doing well so far

Nov 25, 2007, 01:51 AM
Before 2003 (the year I got JJ2) I drew stuff for other games (not rarely my own thought-up games), but then I got pretty much fascinated with JJ2 but I couldn't use JCS back then and drew levels for JJ2. (also the drawings sucked) I dunno where most of the stuff I drew is now. Sometimes I still draw stuff for other games on paper. =D (my stuff doesn't suck as much as in the past now)

About drawings of JJ2, I didn't actually find much drawings of levels, but I found lots of planet and enemy designs. ;P

JCF Member

White Rabbit is doing well so far

Nov 29, 2007, 10:39 AM
One of the games I wanted most during my childhood was Worms. I used to play the demos over and over again, and that led me to draw 'levels'. They were mostly 2D battlescenes in Worms landscapes with a lot of simultaneous action and gore, neither of which were really present in the games.

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Nov 29, 2007, 05:11 PM
You should see my collection of crayon-drawn platformer levels.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Nov 29, 2007, 06:43 PM
Oh, yeah... I also made 3D level layouts (mostly puzzle-type games) out of building blocks, LEGO, Playmobil, and whatever else was handy. Lots of castles, bridges, slopes and whatnot for the basic structure, then it'd get lavished with lots of objects the player (usually a parent) had to use in some specific order, like vending machines and buttons and wings and whatnot. Who needs the limitations of paper?

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Nov 30, 2007, 01:23 AM
Oooh, I did that too. Although more often I made 3D board & dice games this way.

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

Banned

Odin is doing well so far

Nov 30, 2007, 11:32 AM
I remember coming up with game ideas using Lego and such. Not levels per se, but entire game ideas.

JCF Member

Sacrush is doing well so far

Nov 30, 2007, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimiclown™ View Post
Yes. I am a total geek.
Don't flatter yourself. Now on topic, yes I did. To proof that I am the most creative person in this community I will tell you what I did: I made some sort of console from paper and its design was like so you could slide paper through it and I drew one long paper with the level and enemies and bosses and I drew a character and cut it out so you could move the character with one hand and with the other hand I let the paper slide though the console to get further in the game. It did not really worked that well though.

I drew some levels in paint and on paper as well when when I was young.

JCF Member

Iam Canadian is doing well so far

Nov 30, 2007, 11:52 AM
I probably had enough Mario, Kirby, and Donkey Kong Country level designs to fill a book.