Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2 Resolution Problem

defalcon

JCF Member

defalcon has disabled reputation

Dec 18, 2001, 07:41 PM
JJ2 Resolution Problem

Is it possible to play JJ2 in a higher resoultion? The highest resoultion avaliable is 640X480X16 and doesn't fit my screen well.
FoD

JCF Member

FoD has disabled reputation

Dec 18, 2001, 09:28 PM
Far as I know, no. But there's Direct draw, but maybe you don't want it fullscreen.

JCF Member

Alberto is doing well so far

Dec 19, 2001, 02:16 AM
There are some video drivers that has those problems, you can try to upgrade them to new ones.

Also you can try to use the monitor controls to adjust the screen.

Install DirectX 8 too.
ElectroPiZZa

JCF Member

ElectroPiZZa is doing well so far

Dec 19, 2001, 03:14 AM
No, JJ2 only supports 640x480 and below, and the video modes and functions are determined by the JJ2 code, not the drivers. There ARE some ways to work around this by fooling around with the registry, but I wouldn't recommend it. Using windowed mode is decent enough.

(Sidenote: What I mean technically is that you can't go any higher than 640x480 in JJ2 within window sizes, NOT that you can't play JJ2 if your desktop resolution is higher than 640x480. If you're running a high resolution, it would be somewhat hard to see the JJ2 window in full detail in windowed mode, but not too much. I like to maximize the window to fit the desktop to see better, but it runs a little slower and the overall view is scaled without graphics interpolation in which what makes the graphics a little messy looking. The 'scaling' problem looks a lot better in 640x400, though. It also seems to unmaximize itself upon starting a new level or joining a different server. Oh well. AGP acceleration, anyone?)

Last edited by ElectroPiZZa; Sep 17, 2005 at 08:15 PM.
Alberto

JCF Member

Dec 19, 2001, 03:18 AM
I don't mean that Pizza, I mean that it's a problem from monitor or drivers, not from JJ2, Pizza, I already know that u can't make JJ2 to get higher resolutions just with some **** drivers
ElectroPiZZa

JCF Member

ElectroPiZZa is doing well so far

Dec 19, 2001, 03:24 AM
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, Alberto, but I think defalcon asked about JJ2 resolutions, not desktop resolutions in general. If desktop resolutions were the case, however, that might be correct.

I don't think DirectX has anything to do with pre-defined resolution registry entries, though...
Alberto

JCF Member

Dec 19, 2001, 03:43 AM
I know, but Tweety had this problem once when she spilled ice tea on her keyboard, then the technician changed the mainboard, but when she tried to play Jazz2 she got the same problem as defalcon, DirectX8 didn't do nothing (it's obvious) but we wanted to give it a try, then I found out it was her drivers, she downloaded new ones and it worked.

In fact what I wanna say it's that many video card drivers can give that problems, for example it happens with my video card.

Look, I got a 3D Blaster Banshee
If I want I can install 3D Blaster Banshee Drivers from Creative, they're original ones

Or, I can install 3DFX Voodoo Banshee Drivers, in fact, they work, but they mess the resolution and many games don't fit the screen etc, at all the best thing that defalcon can do is configure his monitor, almost all monitors have resizing buttons.
defalcon

JCF Member

defalcon has disabled reputation

Dec 19, 2001, 05:02 PM
Dang...

Looks like I'll have to resize screen. Grg. Not fair.

Drivers? I got the latest drivers for my graphics card, it doesn't really make much of a difference.
Alberto

JCF Member

Dec 20, 2001, 04:13 AM
Then resize the screen with the monitor controls or do it thru:
Rightclick on desktop, then look there and resize it, some drivers allow it.

JCF member

Krezack has disabled reputation

Dec 20, 2001, 04:21 AM
Def this happens on my laptop its a darn stuggle to get it working but i might be able to help over ICQ (it finally works on my laptop and ill think youll find that it happens with everrything not just jj2). Oh and the quality isn't as good.
"Are we not threatened with a flood of information? And is this not the monstrousness of it: that it crushes beauty by means of beauty, and annihilates truth by means of truth? For the sound of a million Shakespeares would produce the very same furious din and hubbub as the sound of a herd of prairie buffalo or sea billows."
—Stanisław Lem, Imaginary Magnitude (1973)