Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2 ServerInfo 1.0b1 Released

View Poll Results: What do you think of JJ2 ServerInfo (mine)
COOOOOOOL :P 0 0%
Its OK, but i could do better 2 100.00%
Seen Better (BAD) 0 0%
ARGGGGGH!! Get That thing outa me site! > 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Matrix

JCF Member

Matrix is doing well so far

Jan 25, 2002, 03:08 PM
Exclamation JJ2 ServerInfo 1.0b1 Released

These was a bit of discussion about Cheezes post about jj2srvinfo. Some people were wondering if someone could make a GUI version. I did just that. Using REALbasic (www.realsoftware.com) i create JJ2 ServerInfo 1.0b1.

Features
- All info about servers (except players, as i'm no good at ruby-lang )
- Servers List colors names (converts pipes | )
- Change list server
- A NICE GUI

Download It HERE

And when I say demo of the PC version is that REALbasic cost and it cost more to compile for windows (aprox $150 ) and i dont have that cinda money. So i might get some else that owns RB PRO to compile it.

Also PC users you nead Stuffit Expander avaliable HERE

Cheers,
Matrix

P.S What do ya think of the logo?

Matrix

JCF Member

Jan 25, 2002, 03:13 PM
Question And If...

And if any of you guys know how to get the list of players.. HELP WOULD BE USEFULL ....

cheeze?

Untitled

Link is doing well so far

Jan 25, 2002, 03:52 PM
Doesn't work...

When I try to connect to either list server with it, then it says "The list server may be down," when in fact the list server is not down.

And without the list of players and level filename, this is exactly like XJJ2 or Jazz2Spy (except they work).

I guess those two programs weren't for mac though, so this program will be useful for mac users (if it works in mac).
There still remains that strange precipitate
Which has the quality to resist
Our oldest and most trusted catalyst.
It is a substance we cannot cremate
By temperatures known to our Laboratory.

~ E.J. Pratt

Matrix

JCF Member

Jan 25, 2002, 04:14 PM
i had that problem?

You may know allready but Apple Computer has released their new OS named MacOS X or MacOS 10. It has a new sleek, water-like interface, and is based on unix. The problem:

Since MacOS X runs on unix it requires a new type of application, which has to be built under MacOS X in an application called ProjectBuilder. This creates native applications that use all components of the system. But what about the OLD applications for MacOS 9 and earlier? Apple Released a library (dll) call CarbonLib that could be used in place of all other libraries. If a carbonized application was run under MacOS X it would look and feel like a MacOS X application, but only slower (simce the system has to convert all CarbonLib calls to core services calls). Then there are the applications that havn't been carbonized or never will (eg Jazz). When you open them under MacOS X, MacOS 9 boots up in a emulated environment. Any non carbonized applications will look and feel like a MacOS 9 application.

Carbonized applications can be run on MacOS 9 or 8 if you have the CarbonLib installed.

Now that you've had the intro, onto the problem:

REALbasic can compile for Window 95, 98, NT, ME & XP, MacOS 9 & 8, and Carbonized applications (MacOS X). I compiled for each. I tryed the MacOS 9 version and it connects and works. Then i tryed the Carbon version. "The list server may be down". Now i can test the windows version since i dont have a windows box anyware.

I'll see if i can fix the problem...

Matrix

Matrix

JCF Member

Jan 25, 2002, 05:08 PM
Weird..

OK i fixed the problem, but not how it should be fixed.

REALbasic has a socket control, which is used for connecting to a remote server via TCP/IP (duh!) and it has a error event. now most error codes for the socket are - numbers. But i tested the carbon version, which i made display the error, and it said 2405284758 as the error, and theres no error number like that!

So i just disabled error checking, whick sholed work since if no data was recieved (ie no connection) it shouldn't do anything

So ALL fixed NOW

Cheers,
Matrix

JCF Member

Michael is doing well so far

Jan 26, 2002, 08:23 AM
Thumbs down

Um... you copied from Cheeze..
Cheeze

JCF Member

Cheeze has disabled reputation

Jan 26, 2002, 10:59 AM
This isn't the most useful program, considering it doesn't actually retrieve the list of users and the levelname.

As for the legistics of your program, it's currently illegal. Please change the name to something other than jj2srvinfo (or something based on it, like your name), and comply with the GPL:

Quote:
2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:

a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.

b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.
Taken from the GPL, available at: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

So, in addition to changing the name, you need to licence your program under the GPL (*not* freeware...it's differnet) and put the date that you modified my files.

Hey, i'm not trying to be mean. I know you did open up your souce, but not quite to what the GPL said. This will protect your rights (no one can steal your work, but they're welcome to use it) as well as mine. Also, you should prolly put a copy of the GPL in your distribution.

But getting back to the program, i really don't see a reason to rewrite my code just to incorporate a gui and some Mac useability. You could've just coded a gui in ruby and added it on to my program (and told me of course, so that i could add it jj2srvinfo officially). As for being able to use it on Mac, there is (although slightly old) a version of ruby for Mac OS (8, 9, etc.), i've heard. Also, since OS X is based on BSD, ruby will compile perfectly fine on that.

-cheeze

JCF member

Krezack has disabled reputation

Jan 26, 2002, 05:16 PM
Waiting for that post heh heh.
"Are we not threatened with a flood of information? And is this not the monstrousness of it: that it crushes beauty by means of beauty, and annihilates truth by means of truth? For the sound of a million Shakespeares would produce the very same furious din and hubbub as the sound of a herd of prairie buffalo or sea billows."
—Stanisław Lem, Imaginary Magnitude (1973)
Matrix

JCF Member

Jan 26, 2002, 07:52 PM
Sorry Cheeze

Dear, Cheeze,

I'm so sorry for violation the terms of the GNU GPL

Will you ever forgive me

* kisses cheezes shoes *

Matrix

Anyways it should be under the terms, since i read the GNU GPL properly

I've added:
- Copyright Notice on startup with mod date and GPL
- Remove "is freeware" and replaced it with "JJ2 ServerLister is licenced under the GNU GPL"
- Changed name form JJ2 ServerInfo to JJ2 ServerLister

I hope these changes fix legal probs

New Features:
- Icons in listbox
- Better interface

Now i would implement the players/level name stuff as REALbasic now has regEx support, but when i implemented it sometimes i got the data other times i got junk or nothing

If anyone knows the jj2 coms protocol and is willing to help contact me (is under Beta Testers in the NEW website)

So Download it at
http://homepage.mac.com/creatorsoft_...IST/index.html

Cheers,
Matrix

Matrix

JCF Member

Jan 28, 2002, 06:19 PM

OK,

Version 1.0.1 is nearly ready and features:

- Current level that playing!!!
- Better Interface
- And if i can implement it PLAYERS LIST!!!

Yes this version should bring it up to cheezes script

Should be released in about a week

Matrix