Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

router and stuff

cpt.firefox

JCF Member

cpt.firefox is doing well so far

Nov 2, 2002, 07:00 PM
router and stuff

ok so i nead to forward my ports on my router to play jazz i know that but is there an easy way to do that where i can make it so my computer isn't visible over the internet all the time??????????
JJ___JJ____JJ__JJ_______22
JJJ__JJ____JJJ__JJ______22
_JJJJJ______JJJJJ_____2222222

JJ
JJ
JJ JJ
JJJ JJ
JJJJJ

Untitled

Link is doing well so far

Nov 2, 2002, 09:39 PM
uhhh...well it really depends what your network configration is and what kind of router you have try reading the routr manual or go to 192.168.1.1 in a web browser and look for configuration maybe also ask the person who set up your network and router they might know you should check what your computer's ip adress is use winipconfig in 9x and ipconfig in xp and if you ask someone hopefuly you can speak better than this and not say everything in one sentence with no punctuation and maybe read the topic "read this before you post" because it might give you tips on how to post better technical help topics????????????
There still remains that strange precipitate
Which has the quality to resist
Our oldest and most trusted catalyst.
It is a substance we cannot cremate
By temperatures known to our Laboratory.

~ E.J. Pratt

4I Falcon

JCF Member

4I Falcon has disabled reputation

Nov 4, 2002, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Link
...and if you ask someone hopefuly you can speak better than this and not say everything in one sentence with no punctuation...
Tried it. Didn't work.

Essentially, he has a Linksys router like me, but a different model. His father is stingy about getting viruses and stuff. (Well, my parents are kinda like that too, but they've slackened off a bit. Go me.) Apparently, forwarding ports on the router so that it simply connects to your computer will make your IP visible over the Internet. I don't think this is true, since it's only a very select set of ports, and unless someone is searching through the billions of computers and the tens of thousands of ports per computer for a way to get inside someone's compy, I doubt that they'll come along those three on his computer. In any case, Firefox's father doesn't want him forwarding the ports, like I said, for fear of being seen all over the Internet.

To cut it short: Is there any way to forward those three ports without them being accessible by anyone else other than JJ2 clients?

Dsaemnmsiet ,w hTeynl eyro,u 'arte laesaksitn gt ray tteoc hm aqkuee sstoimoen!

RABID CRAZINESS FOLLOWS.

"I like driving an automatic, because I can do this." *revs engine* "You like driving a manual?" "What did I say?" "Automatic." "I like my... automatic, uh, arm... it changes the shift-gear on my, uh, manual." - 4IF vs Ken

WT (un)masterpieces:
Enter: Jack Flash
System of Turbulence
Profile count: disabled.

Galbadia Hotel: your one-stop shop for all your VG music needs!

Untitled

Link is doing well so far

Nov 4, 2002, 04:00 PM
No there there isn't

But forwarding them isn't dangerous unless you have some weird trojan running on ports 10052-10054. And BTW, anyone who accesses the internet has an IP address visible over the internet. For example, if a moderator were to click the "IP" button in your post, he would see your real IP external IP address, even if your using a router.

I see no danger in forwarding the ports. If you're really paranoid, you can only have them forwarded when JJ2 is running, and unforward them when you're done.
There still remains that strange precipitate
Which has the quality to resist
Our oldest and most trusted catalyst.
It is a substance we cannot cremate
By temperatures known to our Laboratory.

~ E.J. Pratt