Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

Weird. Does everybody have this problem?

Lark

JCF Member

Lark has disabled reputation

Jul 2, 2003, 08:47 AM
Weird. Does everybody have this problem?

When I am playing levels that I make, when I go through a warp (coin or non-coin) all the coins on my level turn to red gems and it really annoys me. What is this?

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

Jul 2, 2003, 10:10 AM
It's suppose to be like this, Labrat. Once you go into a coin warp in single player, all the coins turn into gems. It's semi-annoying for me, but I can live with it.

JCF Member

adamadamadam10 has disabled reputation

Jul 2, 2003, 10:10 AM
It does the same thing to me when I test a level, and it happens in the single-player levels as well.

JCF Member

Lark has disabled reputation

Jul 2, 2003, 11:22 AM
So, it's not a bug?

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Jul 2, 2003, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAb RaT kiD
So, it's not a bug?
Nope. Epic assumed that everyone'd only put one coin warp in their level, and players would get frustrated collecting coins after the warp was used.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jul 2, 2003, 01:32 PM
I classify it as an intentional bug.

JCF Member

Biohazard UOI is doing well so far

Jul 9, 2003, 09:03 AM
Well, think about it. There is a maximum of one coin warp per level in the real game. Any more would sort of spoil it, you know? Overusing certain cool things makes them not as cool anymore (common problem among submitted levels). My advice is not to put more than one coin warp in any given level.

The only reason that I can think of that you'd want more than one is in creating a level in which the coin warps are essential to the plot of the level. What plot that would be, I dunno.
<a href="http://www.thejohndenleyband.com">The John Denley Band</a><br><font size="2"><i>You never know.. but you usually do.</i> - another one of Ben's many, but not necessarily wise, sayings.</font>

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 9, 2003, 01:18 PM
Not if you make levels where you use Jazz's coin count as a sort of "alterable value"... or traps that will take away some of your coins, and other places that give you coins, and at the end you get different prizes depending on your coin count... quite a few possibilities.

JCF Member

KRSplat is a forum legendKRSplat is a forum legend

Jul 9, 2003, 03:53 PM
That's a good idea, although it would be hard to put into effect. I guess it could be possible with multiple levels and... maybe a password system?

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jul 9, 2003, 10:59 PM
For some reason the coins in one of my level didn't always change into red gems, even when going into a coin warp more than 5 times. STRANGE!
Sun Fun Dude

JCF Member

Sun Fun Dude has disabled reputation

Jul 11, 2003, 12:37 AM
Hmmmm, maybe there is hope to stop it happening then? Perhaps there is something in the level to stop it happening? Weird? Yes certainly.

JCF Member

Biohazard UOI is doing well so far

Jul 11, 2003, 06:42 AM
I know that the coins stay in multiplayer games (for example, shareware CTF level).

Maybe that level was MP.
<a href="http://www.thejohndenleyband.com">The John Denley Band</a><br><font size="2"><i>You never know.. but you usually do.</i> - another one of Ben's many, but not necessarily wise, sayings.</font>
Trafton

JCF Member

Trafton is an asset to this forum

Jul 11, 2003, 10:38 AM
It would be more useful if a hundred gems equaled a life as Epic intended them to.

~ Traft

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jul 12, 2003, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard UOI
I know that the coins stay in multiplayer games (for example, shareware CTF level).

Maybe that level was MP.
It wasn't, since it happened when I used "Save & Run" in JCS.
Another Jazz 2 fan

JCF Member

Another Jazz 2 fan has disabled reputation

Jul 12, 2003, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafton
It would be more useful if a hundred gems equaled a life as Epic intended them to.

~ Traft
Yeah. It says it does in the manual AND (I believe) in the game. It took me awhile to realize that I wasn't getting any extra lives. In fact, gems are really useless. But they're nice to spice up level, and fun to collect!

~AJ2f

And I TOO am annoyed by the coin turn to gem thing. If only it weren't for that, so many cool tricks would be possible.

Proud to be an old-timer! Rarely active, but Jazz Jackrabbit will always be in my heart.

Check out my War Tavern story, The Life of Jason Jackrabbit! [UPDATE - yeah, it died in 2002, but it was fun!]
Current Projects: Devan's Secret Weapon - yes, I still intend to release this some day. Got a lot of really great stuff done, it's going to be awesome!

Administrator

Jul 13, 2003, 01:21 AM
Strange. today only a few coins turned into gems when testing my level. Gasp.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 13, 2003, 06:12 AM
What would happen if the coins were in a crate?

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

JCF Member

KRSplat is a forum legendKRSplat is a forum legend

Jul 13, 2003, 06:27 AM
Is it possible to have coins in a crate?

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 13, 2003, 06:36 AM
Using the extra event, I assume so.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 13, 2003, 03:25 PM
I'm fairly sure I've seen it done, so I'd say it's possible... that just might work, you know.